This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

PPP done....18 months of fun

Started by Mark Collins, September 9, 2014 · 28 Replies · 1,785 Views

Mark Collins

Yesterday I finally mastered the PPP after around 18 months. This has been a long process, but it shows that with persistence these at times seemingly impossible exercises become possible.

If anyone is struggling with how long it takes keep at it as the benefit is so worth it. My shoulders, wrists, elbows and back are so much stronger compared to 18 months ago. When I started Gymnastic Bodies I thought I was strong but was weak. Now I know I am weak people think I am strong!

Alexander Egebak
Mark Collins said:

Yesterday I finally mastered the PPP after around 18 months. This has been a long process, but it shows that with persistence these at times seemingly impossible exercises become possible.

If anyone is struggling with how long it takes keep at it as the benefit is so worth it. My shoulders, wrists, elbows and back are so much stronger compared to 18 months ago. When I started Gymnastic Bodies I thought I was strong but was weak. Now I know I am weak people think I am strong!

Congratulations!

 

Why did the mastery take you so long? Was it low wrist mobility, little protraction strength or something else?

 

I am struggling on normal push ups myself and I there was anything I could do in advance...

Jan Nordberg

Congrats!

 

Great dedication man :)

wheezer

Awesome awesome work Mark!

 

Thanks for sharing, because now I feel so much better about sticking with hinge rows and push-ups.

Iguanus

Congrats, man! Year and a half is plenty!

 

And this makes me think: how to know enough is enough (often times, we need a different stimulation to break through a plateau)? I believe coach said so much time was unproductive, but I suspect he means it when people aren't conciously ingraining proper form in their brains.

Murray Truelove

Video?

Keilani Gutierrez

Mark, you're an inspiration. 

 

I'm throwing in some extra goodies in your box of coffee. I hope you like wierd snacks. ^_^

Mark Collins
Freshpro said:

Congratulations!

 

Why did the mastery take you so long? Was it low wrist mobility, little protraction strength or something else?

 

I am struggling on normal push ups myself and I there was anything I could do in advance...

I had a significant anterior pelvic tilt that needed correcting. So I really needed to get to the hollow body holds to stop my pelvis tilting during the PPP. I also had terrible straight arm strength, which meant the top of the PPP would destroy me. For that I had to build my Planche leans. I also had years of weight training in the gym to overcome.

Maybe at 39 I adapt a bit slower as well. I tend to be slow at progressing, but get there in the end with persistence and hard work. I won't be one of the people that finish Foundation in 2 years unless in the next few months miracles happen.

Stephen Majerle

I wonder if you will master the next few exercises on the first try now

wheezer
Stephen M said:

I wonder if you will master the next few exercises on the first try now

 

I think many people will. PE3 is kind of end-of-the-line in terms of planes of motion. PE4 starts with a new plane with enough leverage for many people to have an easier time with.

Mark Collins
Stephen M said:

I wonder if you will master the next few exercises on the first try now

I am usually strong at the dipping plane so I expect to progress reasonably quickly with these.

Mark Collins

I got PE4 yesterday. That should help my average!

Adriano Augusto
 When I started Gymnastic Bodies I thought I was strong but was weak. Now I know I am weak people think I am strong!

 

We have this on our backs, isn't? :D

 

Congratulations Mark. I know what it feels. Now that you're fixed your things with PPP, find out other weak links! 

 

Cheers.

 

P.S: What was the weight for the iM lovely Xiaopeng?

Mark Collins

I stuck with 2.5kg as I needed every bit of energy for the PPP. I will keep these as a warm up and slowly add the weight. I am also going warm up the HBP series with one set of PPP. I want to build up to 20 reps eventually.

Mark Collins

Negative dips mastered today. They were surprisingly difficult. Those negatives build up.

meras
Mark Collins said:

Negative dips mastered today. They were surprisingly difficult. Those negatives build up.

 

I have found so far that most negatives in the course are more challenging than the actual exercise. Body levers, SLS, dips etc.

Stephen Majerle
meras said:

I have found so far that most negatives in the course are more challenging than the actual exercise. Body levers, SLS, dips etc.

Yes, I think that's because so much strength is developed with the negatives because of all the time under tension. 

Mark Collins

I have found the same with negatives.

Coach Sommer
Mark Collins said:

Negative dips mastered today. They were surprisingly difficult. Those negatives build up.

 

:icon_twisted:

Alexander Egebak
Coach Sommer said:

:icon_twisted:

You should keep add that smiley to your signature... ;)

Mark Collins

Thanks Coach. I had no strength to push on my patients backs today!

tom040287

Think a vid would be beneficial to the community if you'd oblige mark. As has been mentioned in different threads the standards in the demonstration vid is an ideal, acceptable mastery is a little less. Be a nice reference to us all still plugging away at it. Anyway congrats on getting it done!

wheezer
Freshpro said:

You should keep add that smiley to your signature... ;)

 

Why stop there?

 

coach_zps6345d05a.jpg

Bro'

Can we petition this?

Duff

Where are all the buff GST hackers when you need them? :D

 

Also, cannot be unseen.