Ring training and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

Started by Riccardo, June 19, 2009 · 3 Replies · 4,923 Views

Riccardo

Hi everybody, I got a question for you :) Hope you guys can help me out:

I train in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, a combat sport, 3 times a week: Tuesday, Friday and Saturday.

How many times and in which days would you suggest me to train with rings for strenght?

Thank you in advance!

Blairbob

I would suggest Monday and Thursday and see about squeezing in another day somehow.

Chris

Well, the first question you need to answer yourself is what do you want from the rings? do you want to play around with the 'em to supplement your training or do you want to focus on them buggers and do strenght training.

From my experience, and I also train bjj it's quite hard to do both at the same time, mainly due to the fact that both are rather strenuous to the elbows and other joints. You may hit upon the idea to pulverize the rings after the bjj training, well, I don''t know your training regimen but after our trainings doing any strenght related stuff is out of the question, still you may play around with them rings but that will most probably not bring any significant gains.

If you do not plan any harder training the give the rings a try between bjj trainings as Blairbob suggested, however then your body may not have the time to recover but on the other hand you may prove to be a genetic wonder and cope with it perfectly.

Cheers,

Chris

mata_leao

I train Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays Brazilian jiu-jitsu and I do my strength from BtGB Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday. I never train them together or one right after the other because it's hard to keep maximum tension on the rings as well as correct form, I've never tried it before my jiu-jitsu training however. On Saturdays I make sure to have a few hours between training sessions. I have made some significant progress in strength in only four weeks of consistent training on the rings.