This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Formcheck SPL/PE1 Scapular Shrugs & SPL/PE1-iM Swivel Hips

Started by Hanlim Lee, September 7, 2014 · 4 Replies · 173 Views

Hanlim Lee

#1 SPL/PE1 Scapular Shrugs

 

 

- I think retraction is fine but I'm not sure about protraction. Am I protracting properly or just pushing my middle back instead? 

 

- what is the role of head position ? In the demo video, the athlete slightly pull it down as if he is doing cat position of FL/PE1-iM(Cat-Cow). I habitually look up when I protract. 

 

 

#2 SPL/PE1-iM Swivel Hips

 

 

This is my major sticking point of whole Foundation One process. I'm afraid if this will hinder me from progress. 

 

I read alan tseng's summary on this but this point on stretching didn't help much.

 

- I can't rotate internally without lifting that side of butt. As I understand I should keep BOTH butts on the ground, right?

 

But I literally CAN'T do it. It just doesn't go any further when my knee is vertical to the floor. 

 

As you can see on my video, I move forward as I do the reps because I lift my butt. lol

 

Which shall I focus first, touching floor with my knees or keeping my both butts to the ground?

TANSTAAFL

Just posted some swivel hip advice here.

 

For the shrugs your elbows are locked the whole time which is a big plus as most aren't. You are piking a lot however and moving in other areas like you said. You want to move exclusively from the shoulders, all else static in a good PPT (posterial pelvic tilt...butt tucked). There will be a little dip at the bottom, but negligible. I believe head position is also somewhat preference but I could be wrong. I would just keep a fairly neutral head/neck position.

Hanlim Lee
TANSTAAFL said:

Just posted some swivel hip advice here.

 

For the shrugs your elbows are locked the whole time which is a big plus as most aren't. You are piking a lot however and moving in other areas like you said. You want to move exclusively from the shoulders, all else static in a good PPT (posterial pelvic tilt...butt tucked). There will be a little dip at the bottom, but negligible. I believe head position is also somewhat preference but I could be wrong. I would just keep a fairly neutral head/neck position.

 

I've read your swivel hip advice but still have unanswered questions.

 

- I can't rotate internally without lifting that side of butt. As I understand I should keep BOTH butts on the ground, right?

 

- Which shall I focus first, touching floor with my knees or keeping my both butts to the ground?

TANSTAAFL

Yes, butt on the ground always.

Iván de Mon

Hi, Hanlim. I'm also struggling with swivel hips. The advice on arching the lower back makes me feel more of a stretch in the hip socket and I think (no videos to know for sure) that I'm already seeing some ROM improvements. You may want to focus on that and see if it helps. I think that its just a matter of getting the body adapted to the new rom its getting and that without the arched back one is doing nothing to progress.

Hope that helps.