Looking for advice before starting F1+H1!

Started by manze, September 6, 2014 · 3 Replies · 2,239 Views

manze

Hi all! My name is Anders (from Denmark). I am 19 years old, weigh 70 kg and am about 180 cm tall.

 

I have been into Crossfit for a good four-five months now. I am a naturally skinny guy but have built about 6 kg of mass and some strength with that through CrossFit. However, I have acquired some shoulder issues (a little impingement I am told - an issue that I am fixing - my step dad is a physiotherapist). I have always wanted to be rock solid in the gymnastic movements more than anything else. Would the foundation series be good for creating the prerequisite strength for the CF-type gymnastic movements? (Ring MU, rope climb, kipping pull-ups, hand stands, perhaps ring hand stand push-ups). Aside from that, I've always felt sort of weak - and I think getting control of my own body first would be a good, healthy (for the joints etc) way to start (before eventually going on to weight lifting and olympic lifts for better CF performance). 

 

Can I use the Foundation series as my main program while also enjoying some CF on a casual level?

 

I am prepared to put in some years of work to achieve this -  and I am prepared to put aside my instant gratification need to get bigger and visibly stronger, but I still want to keep up with CrossFit since that's where I aim to "end up", using gymnastics as my strength basis.

 

Opinions, info etc. are all much appreciated!

manze

Hardy Evans

Hello Manze,

Interestingly enough, I came to GB for the exact same reason. However I quickly realized how much more I liked Coach's program, and how much more effective it was, and dropped Xfit all together. Just my preference :)

Anyway, you can most certainly integrate Foundation with another program and achieve a decent amount of success. However, I do think that Xfit could threaten to slow your Foundation progress, depending on the intensity/volume. But if Xfit is your passion, than I won't try and dissuade you from practicing it.

What I would do is make F1/H1 your main workout, and add in a metcon or two a week purely for conditioning purposes. The strength will come from F1/H1, and you can continue Xfit albeit with low volume. I wouldn't choose WODs that emphasize strength, as that would conflict with your gymnastics work.

I would absolutely not practice Xfit gymnastics. Kipping pullups, Xfit handstand pushups, kipping MU, etc. are all very low yield in terms of strength, and the low form standards would conflict with what GB aims to build. Even if you do your WODs with beautifully strict MU and HSPU, still leave them out as they won't give you anything GB won't. I personally don't like including gymnastics in a metcon style workout anyway.

My opinion, however, is very humble. Someone else may have much better advice. Either way, hope this helps!

Hardy Evans

What I should've said is: leave the Xfit gymnastics for competition. The GB program will do more than enough to improve that aspect of your training.

manze

HI Hardy! Thanks a bunch for the input!

 

Who knows, maybe I'll leave Crossfit behind (I've always admired parkour and gymnast's body control). I have a couple of questions if you (or anyone else for that matter) don't mind :)

1) How many times a week - if I want to be really dedicated - would I practice F1 + H1?

2) Maybe I should post on the nutrition forums about this, but does the GB programme warrant the intake of whey/creatine/BCAA's as I seek to get bigger? (I know I won't become gigantic, but also for muscle recovery etc.)

3) For me, one of the reasons for holding on to CF is the aesthetics. I like the voluminous, muscular body (not in a Rich Froning or bodybuilder way, but slightly more "buff" than the typical, lean gymnastic body (though it does become muscular and incredibly strong). Will F1 + H1 build bigger legs for example?

4) What equipment do I need to get my hands on for the Foundation series?

5) Do you have an idea whether I need to rid myself completely of the impingement present in my right shoulder before starting - or will the training help rehabilitate?

 

Thanks again!