New routines

Started by ajhoover, June 18, 2009 · 7 Replies · 3,335 Views

ajhoover

Hey guys,

I have recently recieved my rings as well as the Building the Gymnastic Body book and have put together 2 routines and would like some advice to see if anything is missing. I can commit 2 days a week to this sort of training so I want to get the most I possibly can out of them. This is mainly upper body as I work my lower body much harder on my 2 days of breakdance training. I practice yoga every day but that is very light and mainly restorative.

Routine 1

Seated stretching – 10 minutes

Yoga Sun Salutations – 6 slow rounds (about 15 mins)

Wall Handstand – 3 x 90 seconds

Freestanding Handstand – 3 x 30 sec

Walking handstand – 20 yards forwards and backwards x 3

PB L-sit – 10 sec regular into advanced for 10 sec x 3

XR strait leg lifts in top position – 3 x 10

XR rotating from half front lever to full back lever (tucking for the rotation) 3 x 5

Dips XR – 3 x 10

Pull – ups XR – 3 x 8 (working to 10)

Headstand RLL w/ ankle weights – 3 x 10

Deck squats jumping for distance and height – 3 x 12

V – ups – 3 x 10

Routine 2

Opens with stretching and sun salutations as the last one did.

Straddle wall handstand (active legs pressing to splits) – 3 x 90 sec

Freestanding straddle handstand – 3 x 30 sec

Sraddle wall handstand moving from one arm to the other holding for a count of 3 – 3 x 4 (working to 10)

Tuck Planche – 60 sec

Adv tuck – 40 sec

Adv tuck to Sraddle – 3 x 5 sec (don’t always make it to 5 in straddle)

Manna MSH - 3 x 10 sec

Dips XR Bulgarian – 3 x 5

Seated Muscle – ups XR – 3 x 3 (working to 10)

Front Lever XR Straddle – 3 x 10 sec

Back Lever XR full – 3 x 10 sec

Wall Handstand push – ups (last set on yoga blocks) – 3 x 10

SLS – 3 x 10

HLL – 3 x 6 (can do 6 good ones working to 10)

Blairbob

Can you deal with that volume.

I see 60s of tuck planche in one workout with another 60s of adv tuck and adv tuck to straddle. May be too much.

No need for RLL if you're doing V-ups or vice versa.

Coach Sommer
No need for RLL if you're doing V-ups or vice versa.

This is incorrect. While both are core exercises; one is a lower back element and one is a ab element. However it is certainly your choice of whether or not to perform both within the same workout. For my own athletes, I always include both an ab and a lower back element.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Blairbob

Ahh, I did forget that they are a lower back element. I never feel them there at all and it is an ab element for me similar to HLL.

ajhoover

After doing the planche workout twice I took out the 60s tuck and 40 s advanced tuck and am doing 5 rounds of straddle planche instead. Those long holds were killing my forearms more than anything.

ASForum

ajhoover.

It was interesting to see you combine Yoga Sun Salutations + Breakdancing + Gymnastic Workouts. Do share your thoughts.

ajhoover

Crash,

For me it was a simple progression. I began yoga to help with my many injuries from triathalon running and fell in love with bodyweigth training. I began to strengthen parts that I did not know existed. I felt better, had more energy and in general everything i did was easier. Inversions got me into breakdancing as I love to be upsidown and on my hands. Through breakdancing I got to know a couple gymnasts as I worked out at a gymnastics facility a few times a week. Working out with gymnasts helped me fix many of my bad habbits and gave me an overall higher return for the time spent training. While the purpose of these three things is completely different the principles are the same. Since Ido began posting all his training videos I have added some of them to my training as well. I bring a yogic phylosophy to everything I do and all my training stems from my yoga practice.

Andrew

ASForum

Lovely :) I got involved in a very similar fashion. I hope you've seen Peaceful Warrior :)

Been on a spiritual journey for the last 1.5 years.

PS: Would love to keep in touch with you.