Hello!
I started training H1 about a month ago and wanted to ask for a form check on the first PE.
PE1:
PE1>iM:
Thanks in advance!
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by Daniel Stephan, August 28, 2014 · 10 Replies · 491 Views
Hello!
I started training H1 about a month ago and wanted to ask for a form check on the first PE.
PE1:
PE1>iM:
Thanks in advance!
Welcome to the fun!
The PE looks good. That floor looks hard. Put a mat or folded towel under your head -- this program is hard enough without unnecessary headaches. ![]()
For the iM, width looks good for the end goal, but ROM isn't there yet. Arms should be vertical so the weight is directly overhead throughout the movement. When you start at 0:12, you're not vertical before leaning forward. Find the hand width that you can start vertical, then lean forward. Gradually move your hands closer as your mobility improves.
Thank you for the feedback, tex!
I wasn't aware that the arms need to be vertical, I thought it would be enough for them to be behind the ears. Seems like it is still a long way to go ![]()
I will report back when my ROM has improved.
Hello again!
I worked on the mobility exercise while keeping the need for arms to be vertical in mind and made another video.
Could someone please review it? Thank you ![]()
Narrow that grip to shoulder width or less, increase the forward tilt of your torso and get those ribs pulled in and down.
Yours in FItness,
Coach Sommer
- Your grip is much too wide. Bring it in to shoulder width.
- Keep the ribs pulled down and flat.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
Thanks, Coach, I thought the ribs part was handled, because to me it looked much better than in my last video :/
This is going to be a looong PE I guess.
It would be useful to get clarification on the relative arm position. Replies on this thread: https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/16251-hspe3im3/ by more experienced members than me imply 180 degree of shoulder flexion is enough for mastery. And 180 or there abouts makes more sense to me than keeping the arms perpendicular to the floor. 180 of shoulder flexion would put more load on the traps/serratus when leaning forward than keeping the arms perpendicular to the floor.
Very interesting topic, Matthew. It seems like I have always been semi-dislocating my shoulders and while feeling it in my traps, my shoulders always felt weird and I also hurt my shoulders doing it.
After reading into this topic and related ones, I made another video of myself performing the exercise from two angles. It feels like I work the right muscles and ROM now:
I try to focus on straight back, not dislocating the shoulders and flexion to 180°. Would this be correct?
Also, is "pulling ribs in and down" the same as having a flat back but not arching it to artificially increasing the flexion angle?
You got it correct, pull straight back to 180 and do not dislocate.
yea, pulling the ribs down basically flexing the thoracic vertebrae to create the upper/mid back flat. The lower back flat is a question of PPT (the second part of the course). It's not actually an "artificial" increase in shoulder flexion, but an actual increase in shoulder flexion. By keeping the ribs down, you are asking your shoulders to do the work. If you let those ribs flare, it would be more a demonstration of your thoracic flexibility.
I think your back and hand width is looking better in the video update. But, in my opinion, I would rather protract the shoulder blades than retract them, for better preparation of late PE & SE work.