Hey everyone...
Long time lurker, first time poster.
Like many others, I discovered Coach through DragonDoor.com a few years back. I've been wanting to try my hand at gymnastics for a long time, but it wasn't until the release of the Gymnastic Bodies book that I began actually taking steps toward Gymnast-type bodyweight training.
Through sheer genetics, I have been blessed with naturally large legs, even detrained I maintain a large amount of muscle from the waist down (actually, everywhere really, since I'm primarily a mesomorph)
The question I have is this...
How does having large legs and glutes affect gymnastic training?
Obviously, I'm going to have issues with certain holds due to center-of-gravity issues, but what I'm trying to get a handle on is, for a rank beginner, *exactly what* types of setbacks should I expect relative to a more "normal" gymnastic bodytype? I'm thinking that because I'm a mesomorph overall, my upper body will simply adapt to the additional leverage required to move my lower-half around, but I just want to verify this, possibly through example.
That said, from what I've seen, most gymnasts have relatively small legs (yes, it's an opinion, I know, but if you saw mine, you'd get it) are there any out there with "larger than normal" legs that anyone knows of? Maybe blogs, pics or videos of larger muscled gymnasts (in general) to gauge what, if any, performance issues I'm destined for?
BTW - I'm 5'10" (184 lbs) so from what I can tell, I'm on the upper end of the scale as far as gymnast size. How will this affect me?
Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.