soreness=weakness?

Started by katlinchen, August 8, 2014 · 2 Replies · 1,612 Views

katlinchen

Hey guys,

I have a question which has bothered me for a while now.

I think I am quite well conditioned for the skills I am doing.

I have almost mastered F2 (ecxept the RC), I can do press handstands and pike presses.

When I do tumbling at the gym (like Round-Offs, Handsprings, Tucks and Layouts and twists on tramp) I am not really sore. Also after Vault and Beam I never really feel sore the next day, so all the things I do very often.

But yesterday at training I did some

kips after I haven't done it since 3 or 4 weeks. Now I can really feel it in my triceps and abs. Why is that?

I know, when I do them the next 2 or 3 training session I won't be sore anymore. But is soreness an idicator that the muscles are too weak? I can always do 15 and sometimes 20 dips, all the way down - So I guess my triceps are pretty strong? Why do I feel it then?

chuchodani

I think soreness doesn't mean weakness, to me DOMS occurs when you "hit" your system with a kind of activity or exercise, like you said, you haven't done this exercise in a while. Something similar occurs to me this weeks, I have been playing soccer all my life but this week I played and I were sore for 3 days, but I think it was because I haven't played in a couple of weeks.

dmcmanam

I think of soreness as an indicator that either I over-trained or allowed insufficient recovery.  There are also different types of strength, explosive strength vs. slow and controlled recruit different muscle fibers so doing 20 slow dips will not prepare you for doing explosive strength moves.