Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum and am fairly new to Gymnastics Strength Training (GST). I picked up Coach's book BtgB not too long ago and had some questions in regards to strength and body fat levels. I have started out doing basic dips, pull ups, chin ups, body weight rows, etc., for about 5 weeks now on a 3X5 set,rep scheme with about 3-4 minute rests in between each set. Over the 5 weeks I have seen very minimal strength increase and was wondering is there something I am doing wrong?
The second question I had was in regards to body fat levels and effect on strength to body weight ratio - how important is body fat levels? I have gained about 10 pounds over the past few months (much from poor dieting and lack of exercise) and as a result, my numbers in exercises have gone down from what I was capable in the past (i.e., last year I was at about 8-12 pull-ups and now can only do about 6). I understand that excess body fat is dead weight that doesn't translate into strength, but given that I have been training about 5 weeks now should I not be able to still see a strength increase or is this excess body fat the main cause of my lack of progress?
Thanks for any advice and help, it is much appreciated!