Stall bars - Too good/cheap to be true?

Started by Helgi, August 7, 2014 · 13 Replies · 5,037 Views

Helgi

So I found these:

 

http://www.jago24.de/en/sport-leisure/fitness/spwd01-wall-bar.html

 

(amazon link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00EU30V9S/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2767C1NIY95I6)

 

stall bars.

 

Considering that most stall bars will run you $200+ I find it hard to believe that these will work for me but I can't for the life of me see anything off about them. Except that they have no reviews.

 

They are made out of pine which, while not being the absolute best type of wood for the job, is certainly enough. They say that the max allowable weight is approx 100kg which is fine as I'm ~70 kg.

 

So can anyone spot the catch?

Daniel Burnham

Can't say until you see build quality in person. Might be worth the risk.

Riku Calderón

Looks good. I would buy

Helgi

I think unless someone points on something glaringly wrong with them from their description and/or pictures, I'll go for it and report back.

Murray Truelove

Damn I'm tempted and I don't even have anywhere to put them!

Bayesian

Please let us know if these are stable enough to use. 

Vincearoo

I'm fairly certain I've seen someone post about these stall bars in the forum before. I'm not sure if a consensus was made, but it may be worth your time to dig it up.

meras

Maximum allowable weight: approx. 220lbs / 100kg

 

:(

edna

These are pine - there is your problem. Hardwood dowels, or you do risk killing yourself, in my opinion.

Kasper Stangerup

It may be that a 100 kg person could safely hang from the rungs. But maybe if said person were to do a side lever with a narrow grip or other such high torque excercise, there would be a risk of breakage. I would suggest working with a large safety factor (hardwood dowels) - I find the additional expense worthwhile, simply from the added peace of mind.

Helgi
Vincearoo said:

I'm fairly certain I've seen someone post about these stall bars in the forum before. I'm not sure if a consensus was made, but it may be worth your time to dig it up.

Found the post

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/12809-reasonably-priced-stall-bars-on-ebay/?fromsearch=1

And it seems that they work fine (the guy was 66 kg though, I'm 72 so I should be fine). He had not starting side lever stuff on it, just hanging stuff.

That's all I need them for (for a while anyway) so I'll go for it.

Primate

You can buy fibreglass tape at field hockey shops for reinforcing sticks.  If you were really concerned at the load bearing capacity, some of this wrapped around your most commonly used bars would be likely to make them bombproof

Ravn

My stall bars are pine, although the rungs are oval, and they work fine for my weight @ 80 kgs. However, the rungs are very close at the bottom of the stall bar, so I'm able to spread the load over several rungs when doing pike walks and pike hangs. Additionally, I grip the rung at the edge of the frame to reduce the bending.

Helgi

Bought them. They arrived and I have installed them.

 

http://i.imgur.com/nca837Z.png

 

They feel solid. There's a slight bend in the bars if you hold their center but I can hang off the top rung (I'm 72 kg) one handed in the center and it feels just fine.