Reasonably priced stall bars on ebay

Started by LateStarter@46, August 29, 2013 · 23 Replies · 11,223 Views

Ravn

Ravn says "Go for it!"

 

Recently got a couple of very nice and very cheap professional stall bars from a dismantled school. But I've got nowhere to hang them :(

 

Ah well, will have to use the outdoor stall bars, should make for some fresh air during the winter!

Jono

How do you attach them to a wall?

swhitley

If you buy them, let us know how good they are. I'm very tempted. It says max weight 100kg so should be fine for stretches and hanging leg lifts etc. My physics is rusty so I can't work out if holding a full side lever would produce more than bodyweight force on the rungs, or if it wouldn't matter (not that I can hold a decent form side lever or should be trying anyway)

swhitley

I've seen people on this forum discussing stall bar mounting. There should be a thread somewhere

LateStarter@46
Jono said:

How do you attach them to a wall?

I've asked them if they include the fixings - will let you know when I do.

Keilani Gutierrez
Jono said:

How do you attach them to a wall?

I used 4 L's and 4 screws per L anchor. it hasnt given me problems at all :)
Finnbar

These seem fantastically inexpensive! If anyone has any more info/ideas on these then please do add. I too am very tempted!!

piotro

On those pic (can't tell how realistic it is though) I can't see any brackets for wall mounting.

Slightly more description can be found on seller website:

http://www.jago24.de/kategorie/160/0/Fitness_Equipment

 

PS. This reminded me that funny moment during London seminar, when after coach finished talking about how useful "stall bars" are our hosts asked what actually is "stall bar". British name for it was found - "that thing on the wall" in the lack of other one.

swhitley

Did you end up buying these? If so, how are they?

-MR

It says that they are made of pine, so their strength may be a little suspect for what Coach will eventually have us do on them. 

Maybe someone who built their own set could weigh in on the appropriateness of this kind of wood for our needs. Fred? 

Keilani Gutierrez
-MR said:

It says that they are made of pine, so their strength may be a little suspect for what Coach will eventually have us do on them.

Maybe someone who built their own set could weigh in on the appropriateness of this kind of wood for our needs. Fred?

my dowels are pine and the 2x4x8ft are probably pine as well but i wouldnt give you the 100% sureness on that one.

i cant do side levers on it yet but i have done HLL and it is sturdy :)

chobbs

There are a lot of different kinds of pine, but all have a modulus of rupture in the thousands of ft/lbs per sq inch. Unless your grain is not straight, thus running out partway through the dowel, you will be perfectly fine.

 

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/pine-wood-an-overall-guide/

 

It will flex much more than the stiffer woods such as oak, but at 1.5" diameter almost any straight grained wood will be adequate.

 

- Chris

LateStarter@46

Just an update, I have installed them and they seem quite solid. Mind you, I'm 'only' 66Kg and am not bouncing around on them  :)

They didn't come with wall fixings so I bought those - you'll need socket wrench to bolt them - I'll add a video shortly to show what I mean.

 

Video: http://vimeo.com/74061024

-MR
chobbs said:

There are a lot of different kinds of pine, but all have a modulus of rupture in the thousands of ft/lbs per sq inch. Unless your grain is not straight, thus running out partway through the dowel, you will be perfectly fine.

 

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/pine-wood-an-overall-guide/

 

It will flex much more than the stiffer woods such as oak, but at 1.5" diameter almost any straight grained wood will be adequate.

 

- Chris

Thanks for clarifying chobbs. I found the thread that had me thinking that pine may be too weak, but Fred had already answered the question. https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/11613-is-pine-sturdy-enough-for-stall-bars/

 

Modulus of rupture... I like.

FredInChina

What Chris (Chobbs) said :)

DonGray

Awesome find LateStarter!! I was bracing myself ready to shell out £180 on these below, but your find just blows this price out of the water.

http://www.artimexsport.com/en/produse.php

 

Only thing is i'm fairly tall (6ft 2),  so with my arms extended I don't think i will be able to fully straighten my body at the bottom (as these are 6ft 4 in height), but this isn't really required is it? 

 

Do they need to be supported by the floor in order to handle my weight? 92kgs?   I was wondering the possibility of screwing them higher to the wall so that I can hang straight without touching the floor with my feet, but I imagine I'd need some serious bolts in order to support my weight?

 

Much love

Don

LateStarter@46

Hi Don,

 

I raised my stall bars up the wall so I could dangle from the top bar (for full ROM leg raises) and the bolts I used were quite long - just under two bricks width. So far I haven't managed to pull them away from the wall doing lat stretches  :)

 

Good luck with yours!

FredInChina

You can easily and cheaply rest them on two blocks placed under the legs DonGray :)

DonGray

Eggsellent!! :not_the_easter_egg: thanks for your pointers guys, really helpful.  Now for the parallel bars!! B-)  Now I suspect they will be harder to find / make and for someone that's DIY incompetent, that will be a real challenge..  Dipping bars at the gym just don't cut it.

LateStarter@46
DonGray said:

  Dipping bars at the gym just don't cut it.

Totally agree. The ones available to me are far too wide  (wider than my forearm+open hand length)- or maybe that's a good thing and I should use them anyway  :question: They are also rather wobbly  :o

Bipocni

You really need to be able to set your own width with parallel bars.  What I'm wondering is will there be any benefit to getting height-adjustable ones (given that I'm following coaches program)

 

Actually, can you set them high enough that you could do pullups on them?  That would save me a load of money...

IBGC

In case anyone in the UK is still looking for the stall bars mentioned in the original post they are off ebay now but the company jago still sell them on amazon.co.uk for £57ish including delivery from Germany. Just ordered a set won't my wife be surprised!

Richard Hamilton

If you're in the UK I found these on Gumtree here in Bournemouth. I'm a bit short on funds at the moment and it'll be quite a while before I need them, I'm gonna go and have a look out of curiosity anyway. He's selling them with a dip/pullup attachment as well which looks pretty good. They're on for £148 but after I contacted him he said he'd go to £135 before I tried to haggle. They're from Slovakia and he's going back home, hence the sale. Maybe of use to one of you lot though :)

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/wall-bars-and-chin-barparallel-bars/1037022086