Is pine sturdy enough for stall bars?

Started by Erik Rissanen, May 20, 2013 · 7 Replies · 4,663 Views

Erik Rissanen

I am considering building a set of stall bars and there is much good information in the forums. However, I don't have access to the types of wood recommended in the forums. The only thing I have seen for sale here are pine dowels. I would go with the 33mm ones.

 

Will pine dowels be sturdy enough for stall bars? Did anyone build a set using pine?

Cole Dano

Erik if you can find birch or maple it's going to be better, but I've made parallets and other things from the dowels you're talking about and had no problems yet.

 

Make sure that the dowels are the laminated type, it will look like two pieces that have been glued together. These are stronger than solid  dowels.

Erik Rissanen

It's hard to find anything else. It's all about pine here in Sweden. You might recognize this from Finland (the home country of my family in fact). ;) The dowels I have seen are not laminated.

 

When I search online I can find beech dowels, but not thick enough. I'll see if I can custom order something better, but it might end up cheaper to buy a ready made set of bars made of oak. Just the pine dowels alone would be close to half the price of full ready made oak stall bars. (Not including shipping.)

Cole Dano

That's what I'm finding here too Eric, and am placing an order tomorrow for a set of stall bars myself for that reason.

Ravn

Erik, have you tried Gula Tidningan, or other sources of used goods?

I bought a used stall bar yesterday in dba.dk for 200 danish kroner (~40 USD). At that price it didn't make sense to DIY it.

FredInChina

You'll be fine with pine 33mm; the Pines and Firs grow slowly with tight grain in the cold weather of Sweden; check for wood compression, knots, cracks and make sure the grain runs parallel to the axis of your dowels. (if in doubt, choose another one :))

Mickey PoleDancer Deppeler

so here in australia i cant find a place to buy stall bars, can anyone give me appropriate sites, other wise its DIY aswell

Jon Douglas
Mickey PoleDancer Deppeler said:

so here in australia i cant find a place to buy stall bars, can anyone give me appropriate sites, other wise its DIY aswell

Shipping is crippling to Oz; you're better with DIY for home use. Bunnings will do most carpentry projects (and delivery) if you take them plans, but that won't help with the install.