This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Substitute for korean dips?

Started by Nino Begovic, July 31, 2014 · 13 Replies · 209 Views

Nino Begovic

I've tried a few days now to complete the KD properly and IMO  I am having issues with the equipment. I have no equipment that is high up enough for me to not hit the equipment with legs/feet if they are straight. As soon as I bend anything it becomes something else and I fall off. I can manage to do it arched or bent but with a lot of momentum and it does not look correct. If there are no concrete tips on how to correct the form with the existing equipment I would like to ask for a substitute. I made a video of a few attempts and with a possible substitute variant to KD. How have others done?

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=860TlV7lsnw&feature=youtu.be

meras

that substitute doesn't work because one of the points of korean dips is to have your glutes in front of the bar, whereas now your body is between your hands in the top position.

 

The korean dip also requires a cerrtain amount of skill to execute. I think that in the atempts you posted your not using enough momentum which helps with the exercise. 

 

edit: also take a look at this thread:

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/13856-korean-dips/?hl=korean

it has a bunch of great tips from people who have already done the korean dips.

Murray Truelove

On the parallel bars could you put a barbell between your hands and glutes? Not really sure if this safe or would work but might stop you drifting backwards.

Nino Begovic
Murray Truelove said:

On the parallel bars could you put a barbell between your hands and glutes? Not really sure if this safe or would work but might stop you drifting backwards.

Great idea. I will try that next time. Thanks!

meras

I don't think it's too low, seems just right. I also liked the very last rep from your new video. You could work them like that, and eventually work up to reducing your momentum a little bit.

Nino Begovic
meras said:

I don't think it's too low, seems just right. I also liked the very last rep from your new video. You could work them like that, and eventually work up to reducing your momentum a little bit.

If that is true I can probably do that. But I will probably not be able to point toes and completely straighten legs. But if that last rep in latest video is ok then I can do it.

meras

On the last rep, when you are pushing yourself back up, it looks like there is enough space to point your toes.

Nino Begovic
meras said:

On the last rep, when you are pushing yourself back up, it looks like there is enough space to point your toes.

Yes but not on the way down. 

meras

Maybe given time to improve you could work up to a descent where you don't hit your feet.

Nino Begovic
meras said:

Maybe given time to improve you could work up to a descent where you don't hit your feet.

I hope so. I guess I am just very frustrated for not being certain if its me or not. I'll give it more time and see if I get adjusted to the movement.

meras

It's a challenging element, don't beat yourself over it. I doubt there's anyone who can progress through the course without running into a weak point.

Rayne-William

Your equipment isn't too short. Try doing Korean dips on a bar that is as tall as the top of your pelvis.

 

Push your hips forward with arch body hold in mind while doing your Korean dips.

DieKatze

from my experience with korean dips your height should be sufficient.

 

check the last rep of the ones you did with momentum, slow that down, use pure strength and you got it ;)