This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Korean Dips

Started by ChrisUK, November 30, 2013 · 45 Replies · 2,043 Views

ChrisUK

Hey all,

 

I have mastered the Single bar dips and the Undergrip version along with the iM's, they are really quite easy now. However when I tested my ability to do Korean dips (besides being extremely hard to get in to on a doorway pull-up bar) I found I could only really do a couple half form ones. My form is bad enough that it's not even worth posting a video (though perhaps I should anyways?)

 

The most difficult part of the movement for me is bending slightly under the bar whilst keeping my back from touching the bar, and also the way back up.

 

Do you guys have any tips for starting these off? Also, do you have any additional in-between single bar and Korean dip progressions?

 

Appreciate it,

 

Chris.

Guest

The Korean Dips have been called the Pseudo Planche Pushups of F2. I can do them naturally (going to test mastery on underhand single bar dips tomorrow, then OH Korean, then UH Korean), so I can't give any legit experience of how to progress.

 

My suggestion would be to hold the bottom position for time, to get used to that position. Maybe 5x10, 5x15s. Once you get that, I think you should be good to go. You will get used to the movement after awhile.

Ravn

Also be aware that they are hard to do in a static fashion - There's a rhythm to them, where you initiate the press up when the legs start to swing forwards from the low position. The pressing itself is not really harder than in the other dip variations.

Jon Douglas

I tend to focus on my wrists when I do them-- hand and scap positioning (to keep me in front of the bar) rather than pushing or thinking about the body position at all, other than 'stay tight'

Mats Trane
ChrisUK said:

Hey all,

 

I have mastered the Single bar dips and the Undergrip version along with the iM's, they are really quite easy now. However when I tested my ability to do Korean dips (besides being extremely hard to get in to on a doorway pull-up bar) I found I could only really do a couple half form ones. My form is bad enough that it's not even worth posting a video (though perhaps I should anyways?)

 

The most difficult part of the movement for me is bending slightly under the bar whilst keeping my back from touching the bar, and also the way back up.

 

Do you guys have any tips for starting these off? Also, do you have any additional in-between single bar and Korean dip progressions?

 

Appreciate it,

 

Chris.

You can put a box behind you that your feet hit and than push up. As you progress move the box further back.

I my self feel a strain in my right shoulder as I do these. Anyone else have the same experience?

Cole Dano

In addition to the above, I've done a Korean hybrid dip. Using a normal dip station adding a cross bar just behind the hands. Feels like a regular dip, but allows one to find the aforementioned rhythm. 

Jon Douglas
Cole Dano said:

In addition to the above, I've done a Korean hybrid dip. Using a normal dip station adding a cross bar just behind the hands. Feels like a regular dip, but allows one to find the aforementioned rhythm. 

That's a cool idea.

ChrisUK

Thanks guys!

 

Awareness, that sounds like good place to start, appreciate it!

 

Ravn, I had heard somewhere else on this forum that there is a rhythm to doing KD's, so I will definitely try to develop that. 

The Wykydtron

Like someone said, there is a definite rhythm required. It helps a lot. Once you get the hang of that, it comes together.

 

To be honest before the F series I had tried Korean and Russian dips and failed, so now that I've gotten though Korean dips and slowly getting through Russian dips, its a great feeling. 

 

Keep us posted.

Joshua Slocum

One thing I find that helps with the Korean dips is to focus on keeping a straight body. My instinct is to arch, but this actually makes it harder to get the bar past the glutes. 

strme

yes exactly..  i try korean today.. and only problem is on the way up past the glutes .i am week away from korean..i hope this week i teach my brain to stay straight :)

strme

after 2weeks : korean style now?  no problem :D 

Eric Xavier

I had a tough time with these.  I think it is one of those exercises where the movement, and technique of the movement seem to take precedence over the actual strength required.

 

This is what I noticed helped me:

Keeping the legs straight (no bending at the knees)

Looking forward/up, and sticking the chest out

Keeping a good, right angle of forearm to upper arm and upper arm to body

 

Tempo and timing was also very important.  At first the momentum of the bottom portion of the movement helped a lot in getting the body right for the upward movement, after being able to do them with a steady tempo, I was able to slow it down quite a bit since somehow your body grasps grasps the correct muscular coordination required for the move.

 

Your body and mind just has to grasp and master the movement.  Having the bars stuck in the lower back was commonplace for me.  If I try Koreans after a long time of not doing them, my first few tries are always terrible.  Then the body remembers the movement and its go time.

ChrisUK

Hey yeah, sorry I have not updated you guys on this.

 

I am currently traveling in Australia (Melbourne right now, Sydney tomorrow!) and my doorway pull-up bar comes loose sometimes so I have not been practicing the KDips.

 

I have been training the bottom portion of the exercise briefly, and trying to break the movement pattern down. I have definitely progressed, but as of yet not done a full korean dip. 

 

Eric, those tips are what has been standing out to me so far. I will try looking forward because so far I have kept looking downwards, almost out of a little nervousness for the descent ;)

Daniel Söderberg

I figure I could borrow this for a form check on my technique instead of creating new posts all the time?

 

I've been made aware that my ROM is a little short so that will be improved in a sequel after some feedback.

 

LateStarter@46
Daniel Söderberg said:

I figure I could borrow this for a form check on my technique instead of creating new posts all the time?

Good idea and I like how you've adapted the dipping station. I'll just say the easy one - keep those legs together and do the pointy toes :-)

Otherwise, you are looking good!

Daniel Söderberg

The problem with legs togheter is that I don't have the space. There is a pole or whatnot in the way and that is the only reason i have to spread them a wee bit.

 

Thanks though! Pointy toes should be added even if I spread a bit :)

strme

you should go more deeper.  touch bottom of shoulder blades and more.

Daniel Söderberg

Yeah the depth i am aware of, a.k.a. ROM (=Range Of Motion). Cheers anyway :).

Art Vandelay

So these aren't as hard as I initially thought. A bit over a month ago I started with partial reps, starting at the bottom and pushing up til about hip-to-bar level (the stick point), plus some static holds at the bottom. Second session I got my mate to spot me with undergrip variation, and went a bit too hard, got a bit of shoulder pain after not controlling a negative rep, left it for a few weeks to recover.

 

Now after another 2 sessions, I think I've got the movement down. Today I started with 2x5 partials, gaining confidence and awareness in the movement. Then 3rd set it just clicked and did 4 more sets, with about 8 reps on the final set.

 

Don't find them very fatiguing or strength based, but more of a skill and mobility element. Did 4x8 PPP immediately afterwards, which I find way more fatiguing. My feet have the tendency to come apart, and I need a bit more depth in the movement, but that will come with increased confidence and skill, as the mobility and strength is there.

EDM

After reading thsi post I decided to try and see if I was able to do these dips (although I'm still fine-tuning PE7).

 

This was my first "successful" attempt after several fails (always hitting the bar with the bottom):

 

 

 

I was really happy to finally manage to do some reps, but form looks still bad.

 

Guess it's very important to keep the legs straight, any cue? or maybe I shall just rise the bar a little bit?

 

Do you think the ROM is ok?

 

 

 

thanks!

 

 

Joshua Slocum

It is counter-intuitive, but I find that keeping my torso straight, rather than arched, helps to avoid the glutes-on-bar issue. Also, yeah, keep your legs straight too. 

Daniel Söderberg

I would say ROM looks pretty good. Get a bit more control on your legs, otherwise you look strong :)! Even the the gymnast in the GB video is using his legs a wee bit.

 

I find this one to be hard to perform "beuatifully".

EDM
Daniel Söderberg said:

I would say ROM looks pretty good. Get a bit more control on your legs, otherwise you look strong :)! Even the the gymnast in the GB video is using his legs a wee bit.

 

I find this one to be hard to perform "beuatifully".

Yep, need to practice, and will keep you posted on progress once I manage to get a proper form!

 

But no rush, first I have to finish PE7, at least another week!

meras
Daniel Söderberg said:

I figure I could borrow this for a form check on my technique instead of creating new posts all the time?

 

I've been made aware that my ROM is a little short so that will be improved in a sequel after some feedback.

 

is that an olympic bar on a dip station? how did you attach it?