This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Other Training Apart from GB

Started by Raya Alageel, July 30, 2014 · 4 Replies · 481 Views

Raya Alageel

Hi Everyone,

 

I have been crossfitting for about a year now and seen incredible strength gains from all domains of ligting, gymnastics and endurance training. I don`t follow the Crossfit mainsite but more of my own boxe`s programming (Strength sets 3-4 a week/ Skills gymnastics works + Metabolic Conditioning WODS 6 days a week). I purchased F1 and H1 more than two months ago and finished the first series of F1/H1 (more on the H1).

 

I have been reading on the forumns that mixing Olympic Lifting/Power Lifting with GB is not a great idea since you tend to put on more mass than needed. Is is that big of a deal if I continue to lift? What about cardio training? To what extend can I still Crossfit?

 

About me , I`m a 5.0ft female with no gymnatics background apart from Crossfit. I do yoga regularly and although it does improve mobility, I still have a lot to go due to the tightness from lifting.

 

I guess my overall question is, what do you suggest? I also felt that if I only did the F1/H1 training at the beginner`s level I am at, I`m not feeling that it`s a workout. It is challlenging in a sense that I am trying to develop the technique and appropriate mobility level, but intensity wise, it doesn`t feel anywhere near a Crossfit WOD as this level. (I assume it is different at higher levels)

 

 

fazool

Raya - Currently I am doing F1, 3 day split, and H1 on the days in between F1. I am gradually making progress, at different rates depending upon the element. I incorporate, on the H1 days, some cardio type activities including sprinting, kettlebell/jump rope routines and bicycling. I try to mix it up. Additionally, on the F1 days, I like to incorporate a finisher after the completion on the F1 program. The finishers last anywhere from 4 to 8 minutes. An example of a finisher I used today is:

Crazy "8's" - Descending Ladder 8, 7, 6...1

Hindu Squats

Power Wheel Rollout (Kneeling)

Record the time.

The finisher will definitely get you heart rate up. If you need any suggestions regarding a finisher please do not hesitate to ask. I have a few that I can share.

Finally, welcome to GB. You will be pleasantly surprised by the progress you will make while being humbled at the same time. The forum is a wealth of information, with many talented people willing to help offer encouragement and suggestions.

Mark Collins

If you are doing CF I would recommend the 3 day schedule. Don't worry the F1 and H1 get a lot harder. Make sure you scale your CF workouts appropriately so you can keep progressing with Foundation.

Daniel Burnham

People like that feeling of near death after workouts.  My own clients feel they haven't done much until and I also understand the desire to go all out.  

 

However, it is important to keep priorities in order, H1 and F1 should ideally come first if for nothing else other than improving mobility.  The base level of strength here should and is a requirement in my eyes for all other exercises.  I would say to scale down crossfit and treat it mostly as a met con.  Do not try to do F1 H1 and then a full session of strength work.  After you have built up basics then you will find time becomes more productive.