This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Integrating Olympic Lifts into F1

Started by martialblack, July 24, 2014 · 7 Replies · 634 Views

martialblack

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if there is anyway I could integrate some Olympic lifts into my training? I have some bumper plates and a whole setup for doing some lifts. Plus my wife would be super upset if I just stopped using it after spending so much lol.

If any of you heard Robb Wolfs recent podcast with Coach Sommers, he mentioned the idea of using Olympic lifting for more explosive power.

Has anyone else done this with any success?

Coach Sommer

This type of integration is best left until after F2 has been mastered.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

MrPuppeh

Thank you! I was wondering about this too.

Mark Collins

I have tried many different schedules and in the end less is best. I have just had 3 months off lifting to focus on Foundation. Apart from being a little rusty I was surprised how much better the lifts felt. In particular the snatches and jerks felt so much better. If I wasn't doing crossfit I would wait until F2 as coach has advised.

At the moment I am using the 5x5 template with a 30 second rest between sets. I have picked a light weight and am focusing on perfect form. When I can do that weight 5x5 I will go up. But I will wait until my connective tissue is ready. A little bit like what coach was doing for deadlifts with his athletes. I am trying to do the lifts once each a week. In a Crossfit workout I pick a light weight that I can do that won't affect my Foundation training.

JimV

I thought Coach Sommers' comment about integrating Olympic lifting was inspiring too. Now I just need to get past the F1/PE1,2, and 3 that I'm working on.

Jake Oster

I have been using Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 program 3 days per week while doing F1 on same days, then for recovery days using H1 only 2 days per week. I use Foundation for Wendler's required assistance lifts and results have been amazing. But make sure only to do the 5/3/1 work for the four main lifts, standing MP, BP, back squat, and deads.

JimV

That seems like a great way to do the the 5/3/1 program!

I was doing 5/3/1 when I heard Coach Sommer on Barbell Shrugged and thought it was a better program for me.

Jake Oster
JimV said:

That seems like a great way to do the the 5/3/1 program!

I was doing 5/3/1 when I heard Coach Sommer on Barbell Shrugged and thought it was a better program for me.

I have been using Jim's 5/3/1 for over 4 years.  After using GB in place of assistance for last 3 months my main lifts have gone up by 20%-30%.  BW 175 / Maxes MP-180 / BP-320 / DL- 500 / SQ/ 450.  Had shoulder surgery a year ago and pain was horrible until started GB program.   Just make sure to deload as JW would tell you.