This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Hollow body hold form

Started by kimura, July 28, 2014 · 5 Replies · 243 Views

kimura

Has anyone read this thread in the getting started forum: https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/6507-hollow-body-hold-upper-back-on-floor-or-off/page-2#entry163617

In there I see a lot of people saying that the proper form is with the upper back on the floor but in the video the athlete clearly has his upper back off the floor, I've attached a pic to demonstrate that. When I do HBH, the higher I have my upper back off the floor, the more difficult it is for me. Everyone in that thread says the opposite. It's a bit confusing. I didn't want to post in there and reveal any F1 info. What do you all think?

post-8348-0-56262400-1406587919_thumb.jp

Rayne-William

Go off of the video and any focus points Coach Sommer left in the course material.  The overall body position in the video sets you up for the next preparatory exercise. 

 

Having your shoulders on the ground while holding hollow won't allow you to rock forward and backward. Hollow body position with your shoulders on the floor mimics the hollow position needed for handstand.

kimura

Ah I see, then I will continue doing it as I have been, thank you!

Daniel Burnham

Upper back off the floor is correct.

dritar

I think people should be saying that the lower back is to be pressed on the ground. Upper back should be off the ground, albeit how much can vary slightly, but I think the bare minimum is shoulder off the ground. Hips should be in PPT.

 

I think upper back and lower back pressed into the ground is just an exercise for PPT (I believe it's an iM or PE in H1).

 

Maybe the confusion is because it is said that you should be hollow in some positions which aren't like the position held in the hollow hold exercise.

Alessandro Mainente

well in all the smeinars i did i've never hear from coach "upper back on the floor".

I've found with the time that it is the upper back off the floor that can cure the "lower back flat" syndrome. i've tried on my client all the things, piriformis stretch, lumbar stretch, pravertebral stretch, legs stretch, glutes stretch. the importance of correct position is extremely evident in those cases of postural problem. actively elongate you lower back by improving the quality of form has brought me to have a solution for one of the most diffuse problem in weightlifting.