Can't lock arm out straight

Started by ltd1000, July 22, 2014 · 2 Replies · 2,302 Views

ltd1000

Hi, I am looking for some advice before buying the foundation program. I injured my arm many years ago after breaking it quite badly. Since then I cannot fully straighten my arm and will never be able to do so. I can straighten it to about 120 degrees and the tricep is weakened toward the end of my range of motion. There is however no pain and it is safe to exercise.

My question is if the majority of gymnastic exercises here require the ability to lock the arm out straight at 180 degrees. This program is something I would love to try but do not want to spend a lot of money if realistically I will not be able to achieve a majority of the exercises.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cole Dano

There is no requirement to be able to straighten your arm more than your own arm will straighten. Straight arm strength work is just that. work with your arm straight.

 

I have a good student with the same issue and it's simply not a problem, sometimes we have to adapt a bit to his personal structure.

 

I personally developed osteoarthritis and lost the ability to full extend and straighten my left arm. Again, it's just been a matter of adapting to my structure.

 

Don't let it be a reason not to go for it. 

ltd1000

Thanks for this. That's good to hear. I guess part of my worry is putting undue stress on one shoulder by over compensating for having one arm locked straight and the other at 120 degrees but will have to look at adjusting positions as best I can.