This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

How do I know if I'm training too much?

Started by Milkman, July 14, 2014 · 2 Replies · 172 Views

Milkman

I'm in my forties.  I am a relatively big guy (6'2, 210 lbs.).  I'm not fat (~8-10% BF).  I've done a lot of BJJ, boxing, and crossfit (no more of that stuff) in my day.

 

Now, I've progressed in this program pretty nicely up until now.  Some things progress well, others aren't budging.  FWIW, here is where I am:

  • FL/PE4: progress has been tough
  • SPL/PE5: this has stagnated a bit
  • HBP/PE9:  I've had little trouble here, relative to the others
  • RC/PE6:  I've been on this for MONTHS.  It's not going anywhere very quickly.
  • SL/PE5:  progress has been fine
  • MN/PE6: tough, but fine
  • SLS/SE2: fine, given 7 knee surgeries in my past
  • HS/PE5 (handstands):  everything has been pretty easy until this level.  I think my mobility is holding me back.

I currently do a 4 day workout schedule.  I don't feel particularly beat up from this or anything.  I have listened to a couple of Coach Sommer's podcast interviews.  I'm fine with slow progress, but if I am doing too much, I'm happy to back off.  I don't think I can go to a 5 day schedule due to outside commitments.  

 

My real question is would less work benefit me more.  This is against my nature.  I really am struggling with the RC and Handstand levels where I am.  If I am training too much, what symptoms or signals would I be seeing?  Any advice is appreciated.

wheezer

I recommend scaling back for a few weeks (maybe one micro-cycle) and testing how you go. Comparing your results with different work volumes gives you the best gauge of whether you were training too much/too little/just right.