This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBP PE3, Pseudo Planche Pushups Checklist

Started by Sensei JP, July 6, 2014 · 5 Replies · 295 Views

Sensei JP

Next week I start PPP.  Looking through several threads, there appear to be several key points that are easy to miss.  I summarized most of the key points I could find.

 

  • hands by the waist, finger position is not critical
  • (Jon Douglas points out that finger position can be anywhere from straight to sideways, as this reduces stress on the wrists, especially if you haven't done planche leans yet)
  • (as per Coach, quoted by Meras, minimum standard for mastery is hands between ribcage and hips.  Awesome!  I think I can do that!)
  • if hands cannot get to waist, it is better for connective tissue adaptation to complete a cycle and then increase ROM, as opposed to trying to increase frequency and ROM together
  • the lean is kept throughout the movement; the head should go straight down, not back.  If (hypothetically) done with head next to wall, the head would never lose contact
  • shoulders are protacted, like the top position of scap shurgs
  • there should be posterior pelvic tilt (PPT)
  • practicing planche leans, even if not at that progression in sPL, can be useful
  • (actually, most people argue in the comments that one should NOT practice planche leans if not at that progression yet.)

During form checks these are the most common corrections / pieces of advice.  Is there anything else I should add to the list?  Any other common errors?  Or alternatively, tips people found helpful to master the form?  Again, I start these next week and I want to wrap my head fully around the technique before I try it.  Don't want to waste training time, or worse, get injured over something preventable.

 

Thanks for any input.

Alan Tseng

I do not think you should be doing planche leans until sPL/PE4 is mastered.

wheezer

Great summary John, thanks! I'm not too far away myself.

 

I agree with Alan, it's probably best to not practice planche leans until spLPE1-4 is down. In this regard, sPL mastery may need to move faster than HBP mastery.

Jon Douglas

I agree too. By definition if you are not ready to train planche leans, you shouldn't be. Training pl leans of course is not the same as spending a second or so in one between reps, the moment those arms bend it becomes much easier.

Better to keep a shallower lean that doesn't change through your set than too deep and shifting back and forth.

Finger position is not quite optional-- anywhere from forwards to sideways is right, especially if you are not yet up to planche leans you don't need the extra stress yet

Otherwise sounds about right. Some of these things are automatic, some require remembering. No substitute for putting in reps while other people talk about it :)

meras

Don't need to lean to waist at first. 

Coach Sommer said:

Bottom of the sternum is incorrect.

Minimum standard for PPP is hands between the bottom of the ribcage and the hips.

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer

 
From here
Sensei JP

Thanks for the good info.  I updated the first post with the recommendations.  Hands under ribcage seems so much more doable.

 

It's my deload week this week (first time I've ever utilized a deload in all my years of training; it's nice!), so I'm just playing around with PPP as I finish up pushups, seeing how it feels.  I was impressed with how much it works the chest.  I trained wide pushups before, but they come nowhere near the activation of PPP.  I think it's because you can only bend your arms a little with widepushups, whereas PPP you can get the same ROM as a regular pushup.