getting back into shape...with foundation or not?

Started by maddie, June 29, 2014 · 3 Replies · 2,052 Views

maddie

Hello dear community!

I have been a gymnast myself for a little more than 7 years. I started at age 8 and quit when I was 16. I did an exchange year and then everything was really busy with school, and boys...  :P 
At the time I quit, I was a Level 8 aiming for 9. I didn't do double back on floor yet, but I did RO BH FULL, and bars was my best event (I did free hip handstand, overshoot, toe shoot, front+back giants and was training to get my straddled jaeger - ouch)

I am 19 now and started getting back into "shape" again. I would like to get all my skills back in a year or so!

I am not studying in the USA, I am in Norway. They have really good gyms here but there is not really a team I can train with. But there is a really big open gym next to uni which you can go to 4 hours each afternoon. There is a warm-up togeteher of about an hours and then the people split up and everyone is working on their own skills, but there are about 10 coaches who help you. The warm-up is more plysometric stuff and passive and active flexibility, not so much strength. 

That's why I decided to start working out on my own every second day after practice. 
I need to say, I am not aiming to ever get to Level10, I don't want to compete or anything, I just want to be as strong as a L8/9 gymnast needs to be in order to perform skills properly and prevent injuries.

So is Foundation a good option? Which one should I go for 1,2,3,4? As it trains towards 7 skills mainly performed in MAG, I don't know if I should go for it or not.
 

I tried to remember how many pull-ups or leg lifts or Hollow Rocks I did as a competing gymnast - but I have no idea. I know that we did a lot of drills for the actual skills ín our conditioning, such as chin levers etc. But I don't know anything else anymore!

So if there is a gymnastics coach or someone who know about gymnastics, please please give me a schedule of strength exercises with the sets and reps I should aim for for being a goof L8/9 gymnast!!


I need whole body workout: Arms, Legs, Stomach and Back!

I would really appreciate it.

Thank you!

Rayne-William

Start with Foundation 1. You will get back into shape with the foundation course and you will strengthen any minor neuromuscular weaknesses you didn't know about.

360personaltrainer

I am a 52 year old Crossfit Coach in reasonably good shape. Im experiencing some joint pains from lifting , pull ups ect.

I have no real gymnastics expereince. I heard Coach Sommers interview on Rob Wolff about how this program could help build joint strength and integrity sure makes sense to me.
would you recommend I start with the Foundation 1 ? or get the starter pack ?

 

thanks!

Ravn

Get the starter pack. The mobility work in H1 is unbelievable, don't miss out.