New member Introduction and a couple of questions.

Started by Rincewind, June 27, 2014 · 9 Replies · 2,437 Views

Rincewind

Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum so I wanted to introduce myself I'm a 30 year old IT support engineer who has always had a stong interest in calisthenics since my early days learning about the spartans in history class.

 

I have always found it hard to commit to a single routine and have suffered from "fuckarounditis" fearing that whatever routine I was on was sub optimal, I have been working on Convict Conditioning and You Are Your Own Gym off and on for about 6 months without seeing much progress.

I have come to the realization that a gymnastic based routine maybe more in line with my goals as listed below.

Goals:

1. Bulk up to achieve a nice natural physique with strong well defined muscles.
2. Achieve a one arm push up.

3. Achieve a one arm pull up.

4. Achieve a handstand pushup.

5. Attain a front/back lever, muscle up, planche, lsit and other such gymnastic skills.

Would the BtGB routine be alligned with my current goals? and What equipment would I need to get started with the BtGB routine?

Thanks for reading and I hope to learn from your responses.

Regards,

Rincewind
 

DiTi

if you are a beginner then those goals are going to take a long time to achieve except the one arm push up.you need to master the basic first like pull ups,push ups,dips,l sit and than you can move on to harder exercises

 

and the foundation series are much better than the BtGB routine so i suggest you buy those instead

meras

Get the foundation series. 

 

1. You won't get body builder big, but you will get bigger, especially shoulders, lats and back.
2. One arm push up is not a goal of the series although you would most likely get it as a side effect of the training.

3. Roap climb is one of the goals in foundation and propperly done much harder than a one arm pull up will prepare you for the oap

4. handstand pushup? Why just one? With foundation you get a nauseating amount of handstand pushups.

5. Yes to all.

 

BtGB is a good reference for different skills but pales in comparison to how much detail the Foundation series contains.

Trey Stone

I have a question regarding handstand pushups in handstand two, why are they not freestanding? I think the benefits are better if you have to balance yourself while doing them...This is not really the place to ask but making a thread for this question would be futile. Also welcome! 

Alan Tseng
Trey Stone said:

I have a question regarding handstand pushups in handstand two, why are they not freestanding? I think the benefits are better if you have to balance yourself while doing them...This is not really the place to ask but making a thread for this question would be futile. Also welcome! 

Handstand Pushups is not in Handstand Two.   Handstand Two is about Press Handstands, very different exercises

B1214N
meras said:

3. Roap climb is one of the goals in foundation and propperly done much harder than a one arm pull up.

 

That's not true. A proper OAP is much harder because you pull with both arms in rope climbs.

meras
B1214N said:

That's not true. A proper OAP is much harder because you pull with both arms in rope climbs.

Got carried away while responding.  You're right, but the rc progresiion would certaily prepare you for a one arm  pull up. There was a post a while ago where alex (or maybe Jon) metioned that he got 1 OAC from doing rope climbs. 

Jon Douglas
meras said:

Got carried away while responding.  You're right, but the rc progresiion would certaily prepare you for a one arm  pull up. There was a post a while ago where alex (or maybe Jon) metioned that he got 1 OAC from doing rope climbs. 

Wasn't me, although I'm close :)

Jon Douglas
Trey Stone said:

I have a question regarding handstand pushups in handstand two, why are they not freestanding? I think the benefits are better if you have to balance yourself while doing them...This is not really the place to ask but making a thread for this question would be futile. Also welcome! 

Not futile-- all course content questions in the relevant course forum please :)

Rincewind

Hi Guys thanks for the replies, sounds like the foudation course aligns with my goals the only issue I'm going to have is the lack of anywhere to do rope climbs or the lack of space/cash to fit stall bars would you guys still recommend the foudation course even without being able to follow these aspects?