This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Back to MN/PE2

Started by timyu, June 25, 2014 · 16 Replies · 295 Views

timyu

Hi,

 

Few weeks back I have asked questions about MN/PE5, but as I took some video of progress today. I shouldn't even be on MN/PE5 and still be on MN/PE2. As frustrating as it is :(,  I have to swallow my pride and go back to MN/PE2. The video doesn't lie and surely I need to work on my Straddle up.

 

Here is the video of my straddle up: http://youtu.be/1bZZjPI97jw

 

I have also read around the forum and have read this topic.

 

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/15503-cant-do-straddle-up-or-v-up/?hl=%2Bhip+%2Bflexor#entry150822

 

Now for my question upon reading through that topic. 

1. With my current lack of Straddle up, should I do MN/PE2 Week 1-4 until I achieve the proper ROM?

 

2. Some suggested doing the lying Straddle up to work on the mobility. Should the lying straddle up work be an addition to the straddle up work? or should I just focus on the lying down itself until mobility improves before going back onto the Straddle up?

 

Thanks in advance!

Alan Tseng

1. Yes stay with Week 1-4 until you have proper ROM

 

2. Before doing supplementary work, how's your Jefferson Curls?  I find that actually helps a lot.

 

 

Also, that video doesn't show it but do you have PPT while performing Straddle-Ups?

Nino Begovic

I have to agree with alan tseng on the second point because I have experienced that to be very helpful as well. Not just that but if you have the time I would suggest adding a few extra of those mobility reps every now and then.

 

I don't know but also as alan seems to suggest, it appears as though you are losing PPT in you later reps. In my experience, my body has adapted better if I in the beginning of a new exercise have done less reps but very slow and controlled ROM. I'd suggest try to straddle up slowly and compress tight tight tight a second or two, or maybe three at the top. Experiment with that feeling. Let your body adjust and give time time.

timyu

Here is a video on my Jefferson Curl.

With the jefferson curl I am able to go below my feet. I feel that the jefferson curl helps with the mobility on the hamstring. I think what is lacking when I do the straddle ups is my hip flexor strength. Also, what do you mean by PPT?

Alan Tseng

PPT = Posterior Pelvic Tilt.  Majority of the exercises in GST requires you to tilt your pelvic bone posteriorly.  What this does is that causes your lumbar spine to flatten (though spinal flexion and PPT are 2 different things, do PPT rather than spinal flexion!), so that your lower back touches the floor.  Every exercises that requires a hollow will require you to do a PPT.   MN/PE1-3 are just one of many exercises in F1 (and beyond) that requires a PPT.

 

You'll find that with a PPT, it'll lengthen your hip flexors to give you more compression and being able to achieve more ROM in Straddle-Ups

Murray Truelove

I started the thread you mention, in the three months since I've been repeating the first micro-cycle and made substantial progress.

When I started I couldn't sit in a straddle and lift my legs AT ALL. Now I can get lift my heels maybe 20cm - it might not look like much but considering where I started I couldn't be happier.

During the actual PE I struggled do anything that even remotely looked like a straddle up, now I look like the athlete in the video but with about 1/3 of the ROM. But being able to "straddle up" and get my hands to the floor and my feet into the air feels like a massive achievement.

The manna progressions have been the hardest for me (well maybe SLS) as I have very, very poor flexibility.

Again, all this has been in only 3 months.

dritar

You could add some supplementary mobility work like hip flexor stretches and straddle lifts. But, they are their own medicine, in the sense that you'll get better at Straddle Ups by doing Straddle Ups. 

 

You'll have to be patient with these as the gains in ROM can be slow. But as long as you see improvement you'll be on the right course.

LateStarter@46
Nino Begovic said:

I'd suggest try to straddle up slowly and compress tight tight tight a second or two, or maybe three at the top. Experiment with that feeling. Let your body adjust and give time time.

This is what is working for me - really squeeze your legs up trying to pass the top end of the ROM, so hard that your quads start to cramp. 15 reps of unpleasant discomfort :-) plus lots of supplementary mobility exs.

timyu

Thank you everyone for your replies. All of your inputs are very helpful and much appreciated! :)

timyu
Murray Truelove said:

I started the thread you mention, in the three months since I've been repeating the first micro-cycle and made substantial progress.

When I started I couldn't sit in a straddle and lift my legs AT ALL. Now I can get lift my heels maybe 20cm - it might not look like much but considering where I started I couldn't be happier.

During the actual PE I struggled do anything that even remotely looked like a straddle up, now I look like the athlete in the video but with about 1/3 of the ROM. But being able to "straddle up" and get my hands to the floor and my feet into the air feels like a massive achievement.

The manna progressions have been the hardest for me (well maybe SLS) as I have very, very poor flexibility.

Again, all this has been in only 3 months.

Murray, that's awesome that you have made improvements! I'll be happy if I can lift my heels to 20cm hehe, right now it seems like its impossible. What is the workout schedule that you follow? I am doing the 4 day foundation + 2HS. So I get to work the MN/PE2 about twice a week. Were you working on MN/PE2 for more than twice a week?

thecolin
timyu said:

With the jefferson curl I am able to go below my feet. I feel that the jefferson curl helps with the mobility on the hamstring. I think what is lacking when I do the straddle ups is my hip flexor strength. Also, what do you mean by PPT?

 

How much weight are you using? It looks like it's just a couple kg. If you've got no problems with the mobility and you think it's just a strength issue, start gradually increasing the weight. This is something you need to do slowly (six months to a year), but once you get up to around 75% of body weight it will have great carry over in terms of both strength and active mobility. And make sure you never sacrifice form or ROM to increase the weight. And mobility always come first, so don't pile on weight if you're blocked up somewhere or have pain or excessive discomfort. (and make sure you have a very strong and stable platform to stand on!)

 

I've also found it useful to just hang out at the bottom of a jefferson curl. Load on a weight you're comfortable with and just hang in the bottom end of the movement for two minutes or so. If you're using a heavier weight, I also find that using straps allows me to be more focused on my hip and hamstrings without worrying about my grip (though I have crappy grip strength  :P ) When I do an extended hang like this my hamstrings lengthen significantly and I can get an incredible stretch in my calves and hips.

Murray Truelove
timyu said:

Murray, that's awesome that you have made improvements! I'll be happy if I can lift my heels to 20cm hehe, right now it seems like its impossible. What is the workout schedule that you follow? I am doing the 4 day foundation + 2HS. So I get to work the MN/PE2 about twice a week. Were you working on MN/PE2 for more than twice a week?

I'm doing 3 F + 2 H sessions a week. I rock climb once a week otherwise I'd be doing 4 days of F.

I was doing H before the Fb workout but I've stopped doing that and instead do an intense stretching session at the end of the Fb workout, this means I get at least 1 or 2 intense stretch sessions a week.

As well I've been doing daily dynamic stretching (leg raises to the front, side, back 3x10 each leg, each direction) followed by a gentle whole body stretch (1 minute each pose).

With the straddle ups I find it helps to do then very slow, taking a lot of time in the end position to make sure you're really at your end ROM and that your legs are locked and straight.

timyu
thecolin said:

How much weight are you using? It looks like it's just a couple kg. If you've got no problems with the mobility and you think it's just a strength issue, start gradually increasing the weight. This is something you need to do slowly (six months to a year), but once you get up to around 75% of body weight it will have great carry over in terms of both strength and active mobility. And make sure you never sacrifice form or ROM to increase the weight. And mobility always come first, so don't pile on weight if you're blocked up somewhere or have pain or excessive discomfort. (and make sure you have a very strong and stable platform to stand on!)

 

The one on the video is not my normal workout environment. This was just for the video and not actually where I workout. On the video the bar is just 5 lbs, but when I actually work on it I would use 20lbs dumbells so about 40 lbs in total. 

timyu
LateStarter@46 said:

This is what is working for me - really squeeze your legs up trying to pass the top end of the ROM, so hard that your quads start to cramp. 15 reps of unpleasant discomfort :-) plus lots of supplementary mobility exs.

May I ask how you fit in your supplementary mobility? Do you do this the same day you are working on your Straddle ups or do you do this on an alternate day? Is there any benefit of doing all the work on the same days, that way you get to recover on the other days. 

timyu
Murray Truelove said:

As well I've been doing daily dynamic stretching (leg raises to the front, side, back 3x10 each leg, each direction) followed by a gentle whole body stretch (1 minute each pose).

 

Is the dynamic stretching (leg raise to front, side back) the same as kicking one leg to front, side, and back?

LateStarter@46
timyu said:

May I ask how you fit in your supplementary mobility? Do you do this the same day you are working on your Straddle ups or do you do this on an alternate day? Is there any benefit of doing all the work on the same days, that way you get to recover on the other days. 

 

I do it before the straddle ups, and yes this is so that all related work stays together and recovery takes place on the non-MN days. I think either way (same day or every day) has its own benefits depending on your body type.