Improving My Training.

Started by iyaites, May 27, 2009 · 3 Replies · 2,969 Views

iyaites

Hello!

First of all i'd like to introduce myself - I am 20 years old and am currently studying Kung Fu Wushu Martial Arts in China, have been for the last half a year.

I was into physical training as a kid, from 6-12 old i did a lot of different sports, including karate, swimming and even a little bit of gymnastics.

Then I mostly stopped physical activity until last year, when I got very interested in making a stronger and better man out of myself.

In search of strength I came across gymnastics and found this forum, I was reading it for the last few months and want to express my big respect to Coach Sommer and all the people supporting it! This is an awesome platform to exchange experience and help each other grow.

I would like to share some Information about my current physical progress and then my training routine, and ask for some advice and help to make it more effective.

Slowly but surely I am gaining some basic strength, my current abilites are

adv. Front Lever - over 30 seconds

one leg extended Front Lever - around 2 sec

adv Back Lever - 30 sec

L - sit 30 sec

Straddle L - 20 sec

7 SLS

12 Pullups

5 HLR

2 Headstand - Pushups ( consecutive)

1 min Wall Handstand ( arms straight, shoulders out, butt tucked in)

15 sec freestanding Handstand

passive Front Splits , going for the side splits

My current routine:

Morning Training Skill Training

Stretching, Handstand work

HLR, FL / BL

1 set of Bodyweight SLS to "grease the groove"

One Arm assisted Chin ups (Want to reach 1 Arm Pull Ups) as much as I can do, currently I am at 2 OAaCU per arm

Evening Training Strength Training

Pike Pushups 3 x 5 - Pullups behind Neck + 4 kg ankle weights 3 x 7

Bench Press 3 x 5 ( currently 47,5 kg without Bar ) - Pullups or Chin - Ups + ankle weights (4kg)

weighted SLS (+12,5kg) 2 x 4

1 x 5 Body Levers (currently I am doing them with knees bent, straight version is to hard)

I was doing this Routine 4 times a week, Mon Tue Thu Fri , for 12 training sessions now, started at the 7 th of May.

I must say, that I except for the Bench Press I have NO training equipment at all, not even a real pull - up bar, I am doing my pull ups and lever work on a bar for Heavy Bags (for Punching & Kicking) , it is very thick, when i wrap my fingers around it, i cannot touch my thumb to my forefinger.

My goals are - Front Lever, Back Lever, Full Range Handstand Pushups, Back Limbers and to increase my muscularity (I am very skinny)

I am already seeing big results from this type of training.

My questions are -

1. How can I make this routine more efficient in terms of gymnastic ability?

2. When I do the HLR and Body Levers i can do only one set of 5 , after i cannot do more sets in good form. Should I try to do less reps and more sets?

I am going to be in China for 2 more weeks. When I return home i am gonna buy rings and i have a good pull up bar at home.

Can't wait to get strong :)

Thank you for your time!

June

Hello,

For your wushu needs I recommend http://www.w1f.net , been a member for few years and have had great training tips from there.

What comes to gymnastic ability I am sure others in here can provide much more helpful content for you than I can.

iyaites

Hello June!

Thank you for the link, i checked it out and it really looks like a good website.

As for improving my routine towards gymnastics alone, I just found this thread of killroy70, and it really gave me the insight i needed all the time! Don't know why i did not find it earlier, but now I am going to train according to the same routine:

Everyday

1) planche variations

2) BL variations

3) FL variations

4) Handstand work

+

Day 1 - horizontal plane pushing and pulling FBE

Day 2 - curling (inverted pullup) and dipping variations (RTO dips, etc..) FBE

Day 3 - pullup and HeSPU variation FBE

Day 4 - multiplane pulling variaions + varied pressing work

Considering the gains I made on my routine, I am really excited to do this type of training, thats exactly what I was looking for! :D

But still I have a few questions remaining:

1. When I do the HLR and Body Levers i can do only one set of 5 , after i cannot do more sets in good form. Should I try to do less reps and more sets?

2. And how can I incorporate this Core - Movements in my training? I am thinking to do the Main Gymnastics Strength Practice in the morning, and put the HLR and Body Levers in my Evening Training, consisting of Martial Arts.

3. Where and how to Incorporate Lower Body work - SLS - in my routine?

I also wanted to do a 6 weeks Squat program once I am home to gain some more strength and muscles in my legs, it would be 3 times a week, but now I am thinking if I should skip it completely, as this would be too much? Gymnastic Upper Body Practice is still my top priority.

Thankful,

Ivan

Blairbob

You can still squat, I would just do your upper body training first.

As for your HLR and body levers, do them in a different workout or go for 3 reps and lower the difficulty of the progression.