This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Progressive Loading of PE4-6

Started by DouglasMN, June 14, 2014 · 6 Replies · 219 Views

DouglasMN

I've been using a 6lb bar for all of the weighted bar PEs and IMs. I know lots of folks are progressively loading dislocates, but was wondering if there might be any benefit to progressively loading any of the other PEs and IMs in the series after mastery: PEs 4,5, and 6, or the shoulder flexion and extension mobilities.

 

After about 6 months of HS work, my shoulders feel fantastic. I didn't even know they were tight, but I always leave a HS session feeling like a superhero and will be sad to see some of these exercises go. In addition to keeping one or two in a warmup, I was considering doing some additional work after the core workout is done. Is it worth it to keep increasing weight gradually or might it slow overall progress?

Coach Sommer

It is worth it. :)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Jon Douglas

It totally is.

Alan Tseng

What suggestions are available on progressing previously mastered iM's?  (Shoulder flexion, shoulder extension, dislocates etc.)

RJS

Absolutely, keep increasing slowly. I believe this is the reason Coach usually gives the peak example of weight used by referring to what the athlete in the course materials is capable of. Does that sentence make sense? 

Jon Douglas
alan tseng said:

What suggestions are available on progressing previously mastered iM's?  (Shoulder flexion, shoulder extension, dislocates etc.)

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/16151-steady-state-for-previously-mastered-mobility-work/

 

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/15656-weighted-bar-for-hspe1im/?p=152934

 

Weighted dislocates were a pet project of mine from July-ish to December last year; I went from 8kg as a max in August to 20kg for reps in early December, and I've written several more posts on my approach to working them if you feel like digging into my content.

DouglasMN

Excellent! I'll go pick up some ankle weights and maybe a heavier bar. Let the fun begin -