This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Weighted bar for HS/PE1>iM

Started by Mike Inglis, March 29, 2014 · 10 Replies · 417 Views

Mike Inglis

I've gone through only one cycle on H1 and noticed the iM calls for a weighted bar, specifically about 5lbs. So a wooden dowel was good enough for the first go but would be too light going forward?

The second part of the question, as there's ALWAYS a second part, is how do I add more weight to the bar. I'm bringing this up in the context of Coach Sommer's podcast with Robb Wolf where there's a reference to weighted bar mobility/strength work where albs is added gradually.

Thanks,

Jennifer

I use those stretchy pilates bands to tie up hand weights to a pvc pipe.     These bands can be picked up at any sports shop.

TANSTAAFL

A lot of us just rock an old broom stick with small weight plates that slide right on. Others have literally just taped crap on in increments...bottles of water are also good for easily adjustable, accurate incrementationableness

Aviv

I have a plastic bag with a water bottle on each side for the time being. 

TANSTAAFL
Aviv said:

I have a plastic bag with a water bottle on each side for the time being. 

Good idea; save the tape for when the bumper falls off the car, or the roof starts leaking.

There is a nice side benefit of using anything that will slide to keep you level as well.

The Hansenator

I filled a couple of sizes of pvc pipe with sand. Not very adjustable but one is about 5 pounds and the other is about 9 so I figure that's good for a start.

Josh Hillis
Jon Douglas
TANSTAAFL said:

 

Others have literally just taped crap on in increments..

Totally this.

 

Also, putting ankle/wrist weights over a bar.

Josh Hillis

So you guys are moving up in really small increments.  So, it looks like even a 5 pound bar I'd get a fair amount of mileage out of.

Jon Douglas
Josh Hillis said:

So you guys are moving up in really small increments.  So, it looks like even a 5 pound bar I'd get a fair amount of mileage out of.

I started with 5lb for dislocates, stayed at 15 for a couple months, did 25 in September and now I can rep 45 easily. The hardest part is opening up the mobility in the first place, and 5lb is a good place to get the benefits for most of these drills without erring risky-high.

You're definitely better off erring a little lighter with better ROM than vice versa with all these drills, but unless you have a real shoulder mobility deficit that's a good place to start. Then increments of 1-2kg are plenty at a time.

Josh Hillis

That's exactly what I wanted to know.  Thanks Jon!!!!!