Cross Form Check

Started by thenail001, June 7, 2014 · 26 Replies · 4,356 Views

B1214N

I was referring to this video: 

 

He did stop at the position at one point. There were some really tiny movement here and there as well like shaking, but you can see that in a lot of rings routines at the elite level too. I don't think extremely tiny movements invalidate the hold unless the form deviates too much from perfect. What he did there is still a bit harder than holding a slightly high or low cross perfectly still for 2 seconds. Now I don't know much about judging in gymnastics, but perhaps you may be one of the very strict judges or there are FIG judges that are very lenient.

 

He did say it was his first cross from the title of the second video and that the title of this thread is about form check and he never implied that he mastered the cross or that he was strong in the cross. This thread should have been moved to the Digital Coaching section in my opinion.

 

I'm sorry to here about your injuries. Good luck on your training and recovery if they haven't already been all healed yet. Yeah, I can see that you were definitely not ready for cross back then if the back lever itself partially tore your biceps even if it was done cold. It sounds like your are a heavy guy with some muscular strength background in somewhere else before starting GST and straight arm work so it's definitely good that you are taking this slow and keeping your ego in check.  :)

RyanC
B1214N said:

I was referring to this video: 

 

He did stop at the position at one point. There were some really tiny movement here and there as well like shaking, but you can see that in a lot of rings routines at the elite level too. I don't think extremely tiny movements invalidate the hold unless the form deviates too much from perfect. What he did there is still a bit harder than holding a slightly high or low cross perfectly still for 2 seconds. Now I don't know much about judging in gymnastics, but perhaps you may be one of the very strict judges or there are FIG judges that are very lenient.

 

He did say it was his first cross from the title of the second video and that the title of this thread is about form check and he never implied that he mastered the cross or that he was strong in the cross. This thread should have been moved to the Digital Coaching section in my opinion.

 

I'm sorry to here about your injuries. Good luck on your training and recovery if they haven't already been all healed yet. Yeah, I can see that you were definitely not ready for cross back then if the back lever itself partially tore your biceps even if it was done cold. It sounds like your are a heavy guy with some muscular strength background in somewhere else before starting GST and straight arm work so it's definitely good that you are taking this slow and keeping your ego in check.  :)

Yeah i'm a strict judge when it comes to rings. If you go by the code then it says a definite stop for 2 seconds. Now what you see in the Olympics is debatable. They have a very quick two seconds IMO. I think they are slightly more lenient on hold times on the Olympic level and more strict on the JO level. Thats quite backwards isn't it??? We seem to agree tho that he is quite strong and imo maybe a month away from a solid cross.

 

Injuries Suck!!! My problem was that my "Coach" didn't know how to prep me for the back lever. While training my joints weren't ready for palm down. So i switched to palm up per his advice. I never went back to palms down until years later right before the injury when i hopped up and showed a friend of mine what i could do on the rings. (there's that ego again) Thankfully i let go before snapping occurred and about 9 months later i completely healed.

 

My info:

 

190#

Weightlifting background and breakdancing

silly gym injuries led me to gymnastic training and that led me to btgb

gymnastic training led me to skill training which led me to judging which led me to coaching

 

Thx for the support! Everyone needs someone to keep them in check. For me thats Coach and other knowledgeable people i run into on the forum and in the gymanastic world.