This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

PLS help with HS/PE5 - IM standing overgrip with weighted bar

Started by Jaromir Stopka, June 5, 2014 · 22 Replies · 535 Views

Jaromir Stopka

Pls I need advice as i am struggling on HS/PE5 - IM standing overgrip with weighted bar.I can do HS/PE 5 with no problem but i cannot move into HS/PE 6 as i must be able to do both exercises before moving forward.And thats huge problem to me because i am not able to do so at all.The overgrip according video must be quite narrow and i can hardly do it when my overgrip is very,very wide.I wondered if the solution could be keeping wide grip and as soon as i get comfortable in it I can make overgrip narrower till ist in correct position.I am sorry for my english but this issue is kinda complicated to me.Can somebody give me advice?


Thank you very much


Jaromir


Keilani Gutierrez

dislocate "mastery" is 5lbs and the measurement of your shoulder width + one hand width. for example my shoulders are 17inches wide and my hand width is 4inches. so thats 17 + 4 + 4 = 25inches <----- that is my mastery goal on the overgrip dislocates.

do your measurements and when you master it at that width, you can move forward to the next PE + iM once both the PE5 and iM5 are mastered.

Jaromir Stopka
Keilani Gutierrez said:

dislocate "mastery" is 5lbs and the measurement of your shoulder width + one hand width. for example my shoulders are 17inches wide and my hand width is 4inches. so thats 17 + 4 + 4 = 25inches <----- that is my mastery goal on the overgrip dislocates.

do your measurements and when you master it at that width, you can move forward to the next PE + iM once both the PE5 and iM5 are mastered.

Ok thank you ..but my grip is super wide at the moment.I do this exercise now almost every day as i want it to be improved quiet soon.

Keilani Gutierrez

remember to take it easy. you're mobilizing a pretty delicate joint if caught in the wrong situation and you dont want to go overboard especially when it involves doing these weighted.

listen to your body.

Milkman

Am I to understand that we are not to move on until we can do the dislocates at 5 lbs. at a width of shoulder width plus 5 inches or so (big hands)?  If that is the case, I think I might have to quit this as I couldn't come remotely close to doing this with no weight.  I'm older (44 years old) and bigger (6'2" and 205 lbs.) and am wondering how realistic this is.

Keilani Gutierrez

I started with a blown out right shoulder. not at the level of spontaneous dislocation, but it was nowhere near as strong or stable as it was before I started doing the iM's. just take it easy :) start where you can(the point of the video is where you will be in the future, not where you must begin) begin at a width of comfort and move it in through the sets. my starting width on my workouts now are nowhere near where i finish the workout. 

 

measure the width of your shoulders from Delt to Delt and add in your hand width, mark your bar and get crankin :) it'll happen sooner than you know it, especially after mastering iM's 1-4

Ravn
Keilani Gutierrez said:

 

measure the width of your shoulders from Delt to Delt and add in your hand width, mark your bar and get crankin :) it'll happen sooner than you know it, especially after mastering iM's 1-4

Holy shit, are you sure about this, K? If this is the case, I'm only an inch or two away from mastery, and I thought I was going to stay on this iM for another year or so. 

 

Can anybody verify the math? My shoulders are 53 cm delt to delt, hands are 10 cm wide. 53+10+10=73 cm. So if there's 73 cm between my hands, I'm good to go? Second opinions would also be nice.

Keilani Gutierrez
Ravn said:

Holy shit, are you sure about this, K? If this is the case, I'm only an inch or two away from mastery, and I thought I was going to stay on this iM for another year or so. 

 

Can anybody verify the math? My shoulders are 53 cm delt to delt, hands are 10 cm wide. 53+10+10=73 cm. So if there's 73 cm between my hands, I'm good to go? Second opinions would also be nice.

that's what it is, isnt it? shoulder width + hand width? my shoulders are 18in wide (outside of delt to outside of delt) and i only measured my palms(from knife of hand to inline with my index finger, that comes out to 3.5in for me) 18 + 3.5 + 3.5 = 25inches width for dislocate mastery (for me).

Alessandro Mainente

there is not a real mastery, there is an acceptable value to move forward. for all the dislocate i recommend at least 10-12 kg up to 20 kg.

Ravn

Alex, I definitely intend to do just that. My labrum tear repaired shoulder is seeing some dramatic improvement in this department. Close to being as good as new.

emilianop
Keilani Gutierrez said:

that's what it is, isnt it? shoulder width + hand width? my shoulders are 18in wide (outside of delt to outside of delt) and i only measured my palms(from knife of hand to inline with my index finger, that comes out to 3.5in for me) 18 + 3.5 + 3.5 = 25inches width for dislocate mastery (for me).

I always gave for granted it was from acromion to acromion, not outside delt to ouside delt, that wouldn't make it measurable (you get bigger delts = you automatically lower your bar for dislocates?).

emilianop
maolu said:

= you automatically lower your bar

No pun intended there! :D

Keilani Gutierrez
maolu said:

I always gave for granted it was from acromion to acromion, not outside delt to ouside delt, that wouldn't make it measurable (you get bigger delts = you automatically lower your bar for dislocates?).

i marked my bamboo stick ages ago, the athletic tape is almost the same color as the wood! so no take-backsies for this guy. :D 

emilianop

I did the same, white tape not white anymore :D

It's currently at around 60cm IIRC...

wheezer
Keilani Gutierrez said:

that's what it is, isnt it? shoulder width + hand width? my shoulders are 18in wide (outside of delt to outside of delt)

 

What??? Do you measure from outside of delts, or outside of collar bone (acromium process)?

 

If it is outside of delt, I have gone from being a couple of months way to suddenly mastering this ROM! :D :D :D

Keilani Gutierrez
wheezer said:

What??? Do you measure from outside of delts, or outside of collar bone (acromium process)?

 

If it is outside of delt, I have gone from being a couple of months way to suddenly mastering this ROM! :D :D :D

i can't re-quote what you quoted from me, but I, Keilani, measured it from outside of delt to outside of delt. same as iM1, if i count shoulder width to be from delt to delt, then what has to be added is just the hand width. at least, thats my opinion, so its subject to change #shrugg 

 

that width is good enough for me to be happy with for now. 

 

congrats on hitting home ^_^ 

wheezer

Hmm noted... ROM worked out, bump weight from 3lb up to 5lb...

 

Yes!! HS/PE5 mastered!!

 

It's been a long road of 4 1/2 months! Now it's time to see where I'm up to with undergrip before I get my (front)-a_s against the wall!! B-)

Duff

Oh, I thought shoulder width meant hands directly above shoulders. That's how I mastered iM 1. Well, iM 2 is going to be done much quicker now.

HamdiC

The way I always interpreted it was to just grab the bar at the starting position of the movement, hanging my arms down straight from the shoulders (looking in a mirror to check), this would give me "shoulder width".  Then from there moving both of my hands outwards one palm-width in order to get "mastery width".

Jon Douglas
HamdiC said:

The way I always interpreted it was to just grab the bar at the starting position of the movement, hanging my arms down straight from the shoulders (looking in a mirror to check), this would give me "shoulder width".  Then from there moving both of my hands outwards one palm-width in order to get "mastery width".

That's what I did.

emilianop
Keilani Gutierrez said:

 #shrugg 

 

Maybe you mean #sPL/PE1...