This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

What's Your Experience with the 3-day Split?

Started by Nash, June 5, 2014 · 37 Replies · 1,844 Views

Alan Tseng
alex87 said:

I did for a lot of time 3 days a week F7 and 2 days H1.

then i moved to 3 days pl,fl rc, hbp and 3 days sl, mn, sls, H1.

then i moved over 2 days pl, fl, rc, hpc and 2 days sl, mn sls and H1.

now i've found the best solution at least 2 days a week high intensity pl, fl, rc and hbp then 2 days high intensity mn, sl, sls, H1. then 2 days using the previous elements for each progression to maintain strength. this is a solution for when i'm doing gymnastic skills training, i use previous elements to warm up, it's fine, it's tremendously useful for warm up and i'm progressing constantly.

I'm having a hard time picturing this, could you describe it real quick based on day of the week?  eg. monday = ?, tuesday = ?

kingzlo
alex87 said:

3 days pl,fl rc, hbp and 3 days sl, mn, sls, H1.

then i moved over

I'm a little confused as well.  More with the order  your doing the routine.  Although it makes sense.  I remember somewhere in my reading journey with GB, there was some talk on routines that may be back to back, not to do, but to do opposing side to give rest for next work(as your workout shows).  But the Cycle shows otherwise, like the Straddle Planche then the Pushups after that.  Am I missing something?

 

And to hear certified Level .5 GB Athlete, Daniel Burnham, stating he does the same, makes me wonder even further.  Thoughts EVERYONE.

 

Then there is your next day routine.  I noticed my abs are stronger than my lower back, at least with the current workout.  So why not do the weakest first?  Which I may get into tonight.  Again, thoughts everyone.

Jon Douglas

Alex and Daniel are pretty strong, plus being training gymnasts they are used to a conditioning pace that many struggle with. Jumping straight into what works for them at this stage is an undertaking for the prepared only ;)

Unrelated, I'm trialling 3 days a week just now-- M&F AM F7 PM HS; W AM spl, fl, hbp, rc PM HS. Signs are good that I've struck a nice balance here (thanks Joshua), but I'll give it a couple weeks before making up my mind

Daniel Burnham
Jon Douglas said:

Alex and Daniel are pretty strong, plus being training gymnasts they are used to a conditioning pace that many struggle with. Jumping straight into what works for them at this stage is an undertaking for the prepared only ;)

Unrelated, I'm trialling 3 days a week just now-- M&F AM F7 PM HS; W AM spl, fl, hbp, rc PM HS. Signs are good that I've struck a nice balance here (thanks Joshua), but I'll give it a couple weeks before making up my mind

Pretty much why I was hesitant to comment on this thread. My training is almost exactly Alex's. The light workouts I do are watered down versions of the conditioning the guys in my gym do. Typically a circuit of exercises. I take it easy as I am really just trying to catch up to them but find the circuit training on the apparatus pretty nice.

Originally tried this over a year ago and killed myself. Seriously. I was super tired and started getting depressed. I am stubborn and didn't stop until I ached every morning and got wrist splints. I went back down and built up slowly. Before that I had been working out 5 days a week so I didn't start from nothing either.

James Hall

I have found a 3 day split gives me good recovery while progressing and allows for those weeks when my schedule is all over the place.  I do H1 in between F days c.f. Coach's 3xF1 + 2xH1. 

Jon Douglas
Daniel Burnham said:

Pretty much why I was hesitant to comm thread.My training is almost exactly Alex's. The light workouts I do are watered down versions of the conditioning the guys in my gym do. Typically a circuit of exercises. I take it easy as I am really just trying to catch up to them but find the circuit training on the apparatus pretty nice.

Originally tried this over a year ago and killed myself. Seriously. I was super tired and started getting depressed. I am stubborn and didn't stop until I ached every morning and got wrist splints. I went back down and built up slowly. Before that I had been working out 5 days a week so I didn't start from nothing either.

The experiences of you guys is motivating and educational for the rest of us :) just wanted to stick that disclaimer in here given the turn it was taking

Igor Czerniawski

Mon

RC

HBP

Tues

FL

SP

Wed

MN

SL

SLS

Repeat Mon and Tues.

5 days 2 exercises in one session, that's what gives me best results.

Nigel

I went from 3 to 4. I find 4 better

Jon Douglas

I'm having a lot of fun with a bit of an experiment. The MWF just didn't gel with me, so I went back to what I knew worked-- 2*F7 + 2 HS. Then I decided to get creative, partially inspired by the movement series announcement and partly because all my focus on wall runs and press hs lately has left my scap depression kinda neglected.

M/Th F7

Tu/F HS for strength-- heavy mobility sets incl long sets of wall runs, rope climbs, and sprints on the beach

W/Sa HS, no strength focus -- maintenance weight mobility, skill focus.

So it goes heavy-medium-light, twice a week. I am finding this hits a great balance and makes me feel good. Last month or so I've trialled different variations on this sort of volume, not a hop-around approach I recommend of course but unavoidable travel and sickness has necessitated some flexibility this cycle so I've made lemonade by taking the opportunity to find a good fit :)

skeeter

Quick question, I am doing F7-3 Day/H1-2 day split. I worked on FL/sPL/HBP/RC yesterday (and will again on Friday), it only took me about 20-30 minutes for the actual workout. Def not more than 30, is this proper duration, seems somewhat short for a typical workout.

 

I know that this program is completely different than anything most tried, just still trying to make sure I am doing it correctly.

 

Thanks,

Noah

Matthew DellaFera

3 days a week works great for me.  I sprint 1x a week, do some weight training 2x a week, and the 3x a week GST schedule allows for plenty of recovery time and flexibility.  Big fan.

john_c
skeeter said:

Quick question, I am doing F7-3 Day/H1-2 day split. I worked on FL/sPL/HBP/RC yesterday (and will again on Friday), it only took me about 20-30 minutes for the actual workout. Def not more than 30, is this proper duration, seems somewhat short for a typical workout.

 

I know that this program is completely different than anything most tried, just still trying to make sure I am doing it correctly.

 

Thanks,

Noah

So what weeks/microcyles are you on ? If you are on say week 1-3 on all the exercises then 20-30 minutes sounds about right. If you are on week 9-11 I would expect it to be more like 40-50 minutes as the volume is that much higher.