This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

What's Your Experience with the 3-day Split?

Started by Nash, June 5, 2014 · 37 Replies · 1,844 Views

Nash

Namely:

 

WK 1

-------
Mon: Fa
Wed: Fb
Fri: Fa
 

WK 2

-------

Mon: Fb
Wed: Fa
Fri: Fb

 

 

I currently do a 4-day split with 2 day HS.  Sundays off.

 

I'm considering doing a 3-day split with 2 day HS so I can have a free day to do something else like Yoga or Volleyball. (F1/H1 is turning me into a hermit.)

 

If you're on a 3-day, how's that going for you? Are you still able to hit mastery?

 

Thank you!

 

 

-Nash

Destiny

It's working better for me than 4x a week because of my new labor job. I'm making progress on RC/PE3 which surprised me considering my job requires a lot of lifting and it's exhausting on my forearms and biceps. Maybe it's helping with endurance in some way but I find I always have to take a quick nap before my workouts.

Keilani Gutierrez

apart from the "oops" of adjusting to working out one day and resting the next for the first two weeks, i'm enjoying it. gives me mooooore than enough time to workout and stretch. definitely gives me time to focus on specific things each day. having handstands alone is nice too (for the extra time to stretch)

Micawberian

Another 3 day person here, with some slight modifications. I do F6 on A days and F1 on B days. My F1 is SLS simply because it is just too brutal to put in after the other elements. My glutes are fried by the time I get to SLS on F7 so it has a whole day to itself :D

I also stacked 3 days HS-only into tues, thurs, sat.

Overall, really awesome schedule. I am one of those low recovery people and it made a gigantic difference from the 4 day schedule. Sometimes though, especially during deload week, it feels like you are doing nothing and it sucks.

john_c

I have moved from a 4 day to a 3 day week with H1 on Tuesday and Thursday. I feel I have improved quicker and it also gives me a bit more energy to do other stuff like like practising keepy uppy while walking the dog. It doesn't feel as relentless either. So less work, more progress....Henry Ford would love it.

Plus I got a bit of slack for M1 when that comes out to play.

Adriano Augusto

Since I changed the schendule, I'm improving in all the PE that were holding my back... HBP/PE2, FL/PE2, MN/PE2, SL/PE1, RC/PE3, sPL/PE5... Making progress in ALL of them. 

 

More time to recover, more time to stretch/mobility... and a feeling of FRESH every workout that is great.

 

For example, I hit yesterday 4x12 pushups with no problems, and 4x8 RC/PE3 that seems almost a deload week. 

 

So... GST, the less the better.

Murray Truelove

I've moved to 3 day split just to give me more free time. I like the extra recovery time too.

Jennifer

Finishing up the second microcycle of the 3 day.   I was worried at first that I would loose a little oomph but that hasn't been the case at all.     It's only 1 less workout per week but somehow it's really helped the mental aspect of it in that my brain seems more willing to allow the body to do more.    See?  Ties in with your other post...

 

 

I'm older than most of you, so take it for what it's worth.

MT Nordic

I've been doing 3/wk for a couple months now.  I like it, as it gives me more flexibility with other activities like running.  Counting H1/H2, I still have 5 workouts per week, but now I miss less workouts.  If I feel strong and well rested on a particular day, I will add in extra workout day on some of my more difficult elements.  My core and legs tend to recovery quickly, so i feel i could do FL and SLS every day and have no problem, while stuff like sPL I really need the rest or my performance suffers.

thecolin

I'm actually doing A/B/A every week without alternating which works well for me. I've got a very physical job, so I guess I need more recovery.

 

My 'B' days (Mn, SLS, SL) are still progressing despite only hitting them once a week. And I can get in two productive sessions of handstand every week. While I could do handstand twice a week on a B/A/B schedule, I find it less productive if I haven't fully warmed up with upper body Foundation work first.

Nash

Wow! Wasn't expecting this. I'm switching next week!

dynamo

When I added Handstands I had to cut back to 3 days / week because I didn't have time for gb + everything else life related; I needed more time to recover from an active lifestyle and was always pressed for time.

 

With 3 days / week I also feel like I have a little extra energy to practice the exercises at which I suck most at.

 

I suppose at some point I'll jump back up to 4 days / week for a little while when I'm feeling like I can lift the world, but no doubt that will be after clearing some of my current hurdles.

Jon Douglas

I've been thriving on 4 days training total a week (2xF7 and 2xH) for the past 3-4 months. Lately I'm feeling like I have a lot of energy to burn, with my work capacity increasing substantially, so I'm going the opposite route; adding volume up to the 5day/week split.

Meet you back here in a month to compare notes :D

Murray Truelove
Jon Douglas said:

I've been thriving on 4 days training total a week (2xF7 and 2xH) for the past 3-4 months. Lately I'm feeling like I have a lot of energy to burn, with my work capacity increasing substantially, so I'm going the opposite route; adding volume up to the 5day/week split.

Meet you back here in a month to compare notes :D

I'm planning to move to F(7) once most of the mastery sets are around 5r.

Mark Collins
Jon Douglas said:

I've been thriving on 4 days training total a week (2xF7 and 2xH) for the past 3-4 months. Lately I'm feeling like I have a lot of energy to burn, with my work capacity increasing substantially, so I'm going the opposite route; adding volume up to the 5day/week split.

Meet you back here in a month to compare notes :D

I am also moving to F7 and H1 twice a week to see the results. I did the 3 days a week with good results. There are so many combinations to try. M1 will mix it up as well.

Duff

I'm currently doing a modified F7. Because I have 2-3 swimming days and 2-3 running days per week, I just have 2 days for strength(I do FL, SL, HBP, RC, SLS and iMs from H1, Mn and sPL). My work capacity has increased substantially over the last 5-6 months and I plan to do F7 2x + H1 2x once I'm done with entrance exams(less than a month now). It'll feel good to be back in full GST gear :).

 

I did the 3 day split before but I felt like there wasn't enough work for the elements that I had only once a week.

El Chino

I have been doing the 3 day split since the beginning of the year and have to say that progress has been quicker than 4 days a week Foundation. Some elements have seen faster progress than others like FL, sPL and HBP. Mobility is still the issue on a couple of elements.

Considering I have a crazy busy life running my own business with virtually no social life to speak of, the 3 day split has been great for me  as I sometimes have to train late at night. Mentally it has been so much easier to push myself and feel like that I have put in 100% to each workout. Looking back, I can say that on the 4 day a week I gave up earlier than I should have towards the end of each workout.

I'll definitely be staying on this schedule for the foreseeable future.

kingzlo

I'm looking into going three day split routine after this deload week.  But I woke up thinking of doing it in a different way though.  What's your thoughts on this?:

 

Monday - F4

Wednesday - F3 + H1

Friday - F4

Sunday - F3 + H1

Tuesday - F4

Thursday  - F3 + H1

Saturday - F4

 

And back to Monday again, BUT of course in a different layout for it will be  Monday - F3 + H1, etc.  With off days doing running or some martial arts or just simply doing nothing at all.

 

I thought about this after feeling fatigue, from going into the transition from weight lifting to GB; from F7 for two weeks down to F4 ond day, and F3 + H1 the next day as a 4 day per week.

 

Would that be overdoing it?  or Is this kind of similar with recovery of the 3 day split, give or take a full two day weekend off for recovery?

thecolin
Jon Douglas said:

I've been thriving on 4 days training total a week (2xF7 and 2xH) for the past 3-4 months. Lately I'm feeling like I have a lot of energy to burn, with my work capacity increasing substantially, so I'm going the opposite route; adding volume up to the 5day/week split.

Meet you back here in a month to compare notes :D

 

I've been doing this schedule for the last week (2xF7 and 2xH), and I think it might work even better for me. I've found F7 to be a lot less difficult than I'd imagined, difficult but very doable. I'm feeling less worn out between sessions. It seems the more that I concentrate my workouts, the better my recovery, even if the total work is the same. By this time next year I'll probably workout once a week with morning and evening F7 sessions with H1 before, between and after.  :lol:

kingzlo
kingzlo said:

I'm looking into going three day split routine after this deload week.  But I woke up thinking of doing it in a different way though.  What's your thoughts on this?:

 

Monday - F4

Wednesday - F3 + H1

Friday - F4

Sunday - F3 + H1

Tuesday - F4

Thursday  - F3 + H1

Saturday - F4

 

And back to Monday again, BUT of course in a different layout for it will be  Monday - F3 + H1, etc.  With off days doing running or some martial arts or just simply doing nothing at all.

 

I thought about this after feeling fatigue, from going into the transition from weight lifting to GB; from F7 for two weeks down to F4 ond day, and F3 + H1 the next day as a 4 day per week.

 

Would that be overdoing it?  or Is this kind of similar with recovery of the 3 day split, give or take a full two day weekend off for recovery?

Self:  Today is Monday, the starting point to this routine.  As I DELOADed last week, I did Monday & Tuesday in and took the remainder of the week off, due to overdoing the mobility on SL/PE2>iM (10 reps each side, but was supposed to do 5 reps each side to total 10 reps).  

 

But I am fully recovered and got a little work in with my daughter (4 years of age and taller than average, yet lighter than usual to me (newFoundStrength)) as we played outside; piggie back ride as I was running with her back and forth, half a block, and a few other routines with her on my back (spinning around periodically) and going through the Cassack Squat (SLS/PE2) with ease with her on my back (in slower motion of course).  And from in front of me, thrusting her up, from the floor to the air and holding her up there a few times.  It was a great fathers day ending.  

 

I got some good sleep, although I was woken up in the middle of it last night and thought about how my workout would turn out at that time.   :angry:

 

So the above routine may turn out to be overtraining, or not.  Will look into it and keep you all posted on my progress.

 

Current routine this week:

 

F4

FL/PE2  block2  week5

NEW SPL/PE4 (looking into the mastery of it)

HBP/PE2  block3  week9

RC/PE1 block3  week9  

 

F3+HS

MN/PE1  block3  week9

SL/PE2  block1  week1  (had to go backwards on this one)

SLS/PE1  block3  week9  (may go back to block2 week5, maybe; able to come up, but tend to go backwards a step or two, not able to hold still at top as of yet)

+

HS/PE2 (not sure what block as of yet due to holding for a good while, but loosing balance sometimes (looking to overcome that) when I do gain the balance, I feel I can do block3 though, but may be on block2 level (if you don't count falling over and starting over again))

fazool

I have been doing the 3-day split since this past fall, usually M - W- F.  Sometimes I may adjust the days depending upon my work schedule involving late meetings.  Ideally, I would love to do the workout in the morning prior to work.  However, that would entail getting up at 4 AM.  I don't have a problem with it, but my wife would due to an interruption in her sleep.  This summer, I will be able to workout earlier, around 7 AM due to being off from school.

 

Eventually, I added the Handstand One program twice a week, T and Th.

 

Overall, I have experienced varied progress depending on the element.  Strength and endurance are improving at different rates.  Also, I have incorporated some sprinting, jump rope and kettlebells on one of the Handstand One days and Saturday.  I just mix it up to improve my conditioning without over doing it.  So far I am satisfied with the results.

 

I have toyed with the idea of going to a 4 day split, but so far I am satisfied with how I am progressing. 

kingzlo
kingzlo said:

Current routine this week:

 

HBP/PE2  block3  week9

RC/PE1 block3  week9  

 

SLS/PE1  block3  week9  (may go back to block2 week5, maybe; able to come up, but tend to go backwards a step or two, not able to hold still at top as of yet)

 

My push and pull was WAY off; from 8 reps brief pause then till 10 reps, brief pause, then remainder up to 12 reps within all the sets.  Starting back to block2 for both HBP/PE2 & RC/PE1.  Reason being that and watching 

.  What Coach Sommer mentioned towards the end, from 39:08 onwards, got me to analyze this and my other workout routines.  Especially with the mention of 'no momentum', as I thought about my SLS/PE1 routine, which may take some time to get into that fluent movement getting up from the floor.  

 

With that said, I may be able to do the 4 day split routine, as I did before, next week, due to recovery, as I had, before getting into block3 for my push and pull.  

Rob Rowland

4 day protocol was hard, especially when getting up toward the 5x15's, but got easier once I dialed in on my nutrition and started getting more sleep.

Alessandro Mainente

I did for a lot of time 3 days a week F7 and 2 days H1.

then i moved to 3 days pl,fl rc, hbp and 3 days sl, mn, sls, H1.

then i moved over 2 days pl, fl, rc, hpc and 2 days sl, mn sls and H1.

now i've found the best solution at least 2 days a week high intensity pl, fl, rc and hbp then 2 days high intensity mn, sl, sls, H1. then 2 days using the previous elements for each progression to maintain strength. this is a solution for when i'm doing gymnastic skills training, i use previous elements to warm up, it's fine, it's tremendously useful for warm up and i'm progressing constantly.

Daniel Burnham
alex87 said:

I did for a lot of time 3 days a week F7 and 2 days H1.

then i moved to 3 days pl,fl rc, hbp and 3 days sl, mn, sls, H1.

then i moved over 2 days pl, fl, rc, hpc and 2 days sl, mn sls and H1.

now i've found the best solution at least 2 days a week high intensity pl, fl, rc and hbp then 2 days high intensity mn, sl, sls, H1. then 2 days using the previous elements for each progression to maintain strength. this is a solution for when i'm doing gymnastic skills training, i use previous elements to warm up, it's fine, it's tremendously useful for warm up and i'm progressing constantly.

I do basically the same.