This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Learning a NLC without assistance

Started by Micawberian, June 4, 2014 · 5 Replies · 271 Views

Micawberian

Is there any benefit to being able to do an NLC without hands assistance? Well, of course there must be some benefit because coach's kids can't do them but they can do GHR's...

I am just more curious than anything else, why do we not bother learning an actual, full-blown, brutal, no-hands NLC? What benefit are we providing ourselves by viewing mastery of this exercise as not actually mastering the exercise?

Anyways, now, I am on half GHR and i don't see the point of doing this infintely more easy exercise over NLC. Not that I am complaining, whining, or rebelling. I am just confused and curious. Enlighten me, fellow zombies, please!

meras

I'm sure the kids can do unassisted NLC.

Micawberian

Well, you would think...but then we'd have a video of it :)

Even the old btgb and dvd show hand assisstance. I get the feeling that NLC is harder than GHR.

Jon Douglas
Micawberian said:

Well, you would think...but then we'd have a video of it :)

Even the old btgb and dvd show hand assisstance. I get the feeling that NLC is harder than GHR.

It is if you allow even a slight swing from the bottom. Then again, whilst I have seen unassisted NLC I have never seen unassisted full GHR.

No one said you should stop developing these after moving past them :) just that a certain standard is required to get the biggest part of the benefits. Some strength writers also believe that the significant majority of this exercises use is in the negative, and that piking or skipping the concentric entirely doesn't take much away from it.

Edit;

Of course I'm not advocating that :D nlc unassisted is a great exercise.

Micawberian

I too, have seen unassisted NLC, but it was in both cases people who don't realize what PPT is. NLC becomes so much easier then. Never seen one done with PPT.

 

Though, hah, now that you mention it, I have never seen a GHR without the swing either. It never occurred to me to view momentum as assisstance for some reason, I was just looking at the fact that simply the athletes were able to perform the concentric portion. Now I feel a little stupid :facepalm:

 

How would you set up the warm up sets for NLC so that I can continue to develop it to unassissted, while not hampering my work sets for more advanced mobility?