Add-on programming for core

Started by dc9137, May 31, 2014 · 15 Replies · 2,838 Views

dc9137

I'm a 39 year old male that has been recovering from a low back disc injury.  I started doing Kickboxing to build core strength and work on movement then added on Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (which is now a passion).  I recently started doing the 2 day integrated F1 and H1 to build strength and mobility.  I'm starting at the very beginning but it's the mobility that's the reason I can't move ahead sooner.  

 

Because core strength is so important in the martial arts as well as for my back health, I'm wondering if there are some additional core exercises or movements I can add-on to help overall.  I may be just as good off doing some BJJ movement drills that have a core focus, but wanted to ask around.  Any more experienced folks have ideas or recommendations?  

 

Thanks!

Alan Tseng

F1 has a ridiculous amount of core exercises, you really don't need anymore

The Hansenator

Do you have specific concerns? I work on a couple that my physical therapist gave me but those are to address a specific issue.

dc9137
The Hansenator said:

Do you have specific concerns? I work on a couple that my physical therapist gave me but those are to address a specific issue.

No specific concerns really...I just want to build a bulletproof core to prevent injuries and make my Jiu Jitsu better.  

Joshua Slocum

Core strength is as important or even more so in gymnastics. You won't need additional work unless you have a specific health concern that needs addressing.

Jon Douglas

In terms of straight-up strength I agree with the above, but its very useful for BJJ to include a sit-up variation to keep the motion of pulling your upper body up from your hips, particularly in guard.

This won't be max strength work, leave foundation to take care of that. Guard sit-ups on a person or a bag are fine.

dc9137

Makes a lot of sense...thanks for the feedback!

Riku Calderón
Jon Douglas said:

In terms of straight-up strength I agree with the above, but its very useful for BJJ to include a sit-up variation to keep the motion of pulling your upper body up from your hips, particularly in guard.

This won't be max strength work, leave foundation to take care of that. Guard sit-ups on a person or a bag are fine.

This! My Jiu Jitsu is better than ever now that my core works. Pure F1. Only addition I do is kind of like kimura situps. Explosive style always.

dc9137

Thank Riku.  Sounds like the consensus is some additional sit-up type work but that's all that's necessary.  I'll do that and focus more on the movement and additional flexibility (which is ridiculously needed!)

Alan Tseng
Dale Clifton said:

Thank Riku.  Sounds like the consensus is some additional sit-up type work but that's all that's necessary.  I'll do that and focus more on the movement and additional flexibility (which is ridiculously needed!)

To be honest, even then I still don't see the point.  There are "sit-up" type work in F1

Joshua Slocum
Hmms said:

To be honest, even then I still don't see the point. There are "sit-up" type work in F1

Riku and Jon are recommending martial arts variations of sit ups as a drill for developing good reflexes/habits/movement patterns, not for strengthening.

bigB

I think Foundation is probably enough. 

 

Turkish Get Up may be a good addition because it adds an external load.

If you could TGU with bodyweight additional load, it'd be very hard for someone else to dominate you.

Alan Tseng
Joshua Slocum said:

Riku and Jon are recommending martial arts variations of sit ups as a drill for developing good reflexes/habits/movement patterns, not for strengthening.

Once you've basically understand kinesiology, all movement patterns are the same

Jon Douglas
Hmms said:

Once you've basically understand kinesiology, all movement patterns are the same

Ok. I'll see you at the next Olympics.

Alan Tseng
Jon Douglas said:

Ok. I'll see you at the next Olympics.

Since when did kinesiology become an olympic sport?

Jon Douglas

Advice has been sought and received, I don't think we're going to be productive continuing this discussion :) Have a great day everyone :)