This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

How to do Headstands?

Started by Alan Tseng, May 26, 2014 · 36 Replies · 772 Views

Alan Tseng

Wells I've done video checks before.  But for this element, I really do fear for my neck if I shoot a video.

jules

 If you are worried about your neck, its probably a placement issue. You can video the placement without going up into the headstand.

It sounds like you need to go back to tripod.

Alan Tseng
jules said:

 

Handbalancers will do a headstand on the crown, however in gymnastics, we use the hard (soccer ball headbutt) forehead.

Can you specify more about what this means?

jules

I was explaining the difference between balancing on your head, and doing a headstand. Make sure during a headstand, the ground is place in the hard spot just above/around the hairline.

Alan Tseng

Hmm where is "hairline?"

jules

Is English not your first language?  (Honest question).  Or perhaps it's an Australian-English thing...

Alan Tseng
jules said:

Is English not your first language?  (Honest question).  Or perhaps it's an Australian-English thing...

English is my first language.  I don't know my head anatomy that well so when you say hairline/crown I don't know what you're referring to

yamad

Crown = very top of head, highest point on your body

Hairline = where the forehead (area above your eyes) ends and your hair starts

jules

Ah ok. I was just making sure. We have people on the forums from all around the world. If I English wasn't your first language, I would simplify my messages.

 

The hairline is literally where your head hair starts growing on your forehead.  Of course if you are older and/or your hairline is receeding (being pushed up higher on the head). That is approximately where you want your head placed on the ground. It is also very hard and is where you headbutt the ball when playing soccer.

 

Rewatch the headstand video. Notice what part of the head is placed on the ground.   If you are tipping over onto your back, you are likely either making the body too vertical (notice the angle of the body) or placing closer to the top of your head on the ground. (Headbalancers do this, but it is an entirely different skill).  If your head/neck hurts to much, trying pushing more into the ground with your hands to take some of the weight off. Also watch the position of the position between head and hands. It should be a triangle.

 

I still think you should do a video of a tripod. The only thing different between the tripod and the headstand is the extended legs.  If your tripod looks correct, the it is most probably a problem with the your straight body position.

Alan Tseng

I remember that Coach Sommer said that the actual placement of the head does not matter that much, but that he prefers it having it on the crown (I don't know where crown is).  is that the same place you're describing?

jules

The crown is more the top of the head.  I've heard a few different opinions on head placement.  But if that's what coach says, go for it.  :)

yamad

I doubt the head position is the limiting thing if you are tipping over. It's possible to do headstands on either the crown or the hairline. It's the line of the rest of the body that matters.

 

From tripod, can you get your legs up off your knees (still tucked) and keep the back straight? Watch the video carefully at around 3 seconds when his lower back straightens and his butt comes in line with his back. You need that straight line in the back/butt to feel solid. Then when you extend your legs, they will just follow that line you've set up.

 

 I agree with jules that a video would be helpful to further diagnose.