This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

How to do Headstands?

Started by Alan Tseng, May 26, 2014 · 36 Replies · 772 Views

Alan Tseng

I've never done a headstand in my life before so I don't know how to get into that position.  What I've been doing is trying to press up from a tripod, but I don't seem to have the control.

 

Is there any tips or suggestions on how to get into HS/PE2, or any regressions that would help eventually getting into HS/PE2?

RJS

Have your back facing a wall. Build up some moxy and kick up into the wall. Then, slowly ween yourself off the wall only having a mattress on the floor, then without the mattress.

That technique might be same or better with PE3

ChrisBR

I had the same issue initially.  What helped me was the following and hope it can help you:

 

- get into the headstand slow and controlled.  Don't just try to kick up into the position as the chance for momentum to carry you up and over increases. Get into your tripod and then slowly raise your hips so that your back is straight with your legs / knees not yet extended.  After this position feels comfortable, work on straightening the legs out. 

 

- Keep the legs together and remember to point the toes when fully extended.  Again, slow and controlled extension.

 

- Keep tension on the back, abs, and legs as this will help maintain the position.  Back to the wall is a good tip, but after getting into the position if only for a few seconds, i always practiced about 12 inches away from the wall in this position, as the wall only will provide support if needed to prevent you from toppling over.  If you maintain the tension correctly, the worst that can happen is your feet will touch the wall, allowing you to kick off, go back down and try again. 

 

- Also, the position that Coach's athlete demos in the video (forehead / slightly above forehead base) seems to provide more stability in the headstand and less chance of falling up and over rather than the top of the skull base.  It looked weird to me at 1st, but after trying it, i was surprised how much more comfortable and stable it was.

 

- practice.  It's skill work.  Pay attention to your body and where the slack may be, and at what specific point you are losing your balance.  It's just one of those things that takes time and practice to get right.  paying attention to what is going on and where the failing point may be, can help you to make the necessary adjustments you need to stay stable and upright.  

 

After a few weeks, I was able to get upright with no problems.  After a couple months i was able to ditch the wall with enough confidence to stay upright without problems. 

Geoff
ChrisBR said:

I had the same issue initially.  What helped me was the following and hope it can help you:

 

- Keep the legs together and remember to point the toes when fully extended.  Again, slow and controlled extension.

Keeping the toes pointed throughout the press or move from tripod to headstand seems to help me keep tension in the legs, which makes it easier to focus and react on the change of balance.
john_c

How good are you at tripod ? Can you demonstrate mastery ?

Go up nice and slow from the tripod and stay in control, develop it from there.

Alan Tseng

so yah, I'm still falling down whenever I do these

Murray Truelove

Balancing takes practice - keep at it and you will improve.

Is your problem the same as it is in your first post; getting into position?

From the tripod position you could practice raising one leg at a time. Alternatively you could have someone assist you by lifting your legs into position.

Alan Tseng
Murray Truelove said:

Balancing takes practice - keep at it and you will improve.

Is your problem the same as it is in your first post; getting into position?

From the tripod position you could practice raising one leg at a time. Alternatively you could have someone assist you by lifting your legs into position.

yep getting into position.

 

you mean raise one leg up while the other stays on tripod position?

RJS

Have your back facing a wall. Build up some moxy and kick up into the wall. Then, slowly ween yourself off the wall only having a mattress on the floor, then without the mattress.

That technique might be same or better with PE3

Murray Truelove
Hmms said:

yep getting into position.

you mean raise one leg up while the other stays on tripod position?

Yes, raising one leg at a time might be easier.

Using a wall can also help if you worry about falling over.

You can also experiment with only partially extending from tripod. From tripod extend a little then come back, then a little further, etc trying to get higher each time.

Alan Tseng
RJS said:

Have your back facing a wall. Build up some moxy and kick up into the wall. Then, slowly ween yourself off the wall only having a mattress on the floor, then without the mattress.

That technique might be same or better with PE3

I've also tried kicking up onto the wall, usually one foot does hit the wall, then a second later I tip over to the side

RJS

i see. You have to lean on the wall completely, eventually you will get it and start leaning away from the wall. Basically your body is relying almost totally on the wall.

Keilani Gutierrez
Hmms said:

I've also tried kicking up onto the wall, usually one foot does hit the wall, then a second later I tip over to the side

if i were to ask you in what part during the tripod you feel the most weight being put, hands, head or one hand and your head, which one would it be? because the only issue might just be the way you "brace" yourself so you can hold yourself up, which was my issue with HS/PE3 

Alan Tseng
Keilani Gutierrez said:

if i were to ask you in what part during the tripod you feel the most weight being put, hands, head or one hand and your head, which one would it be? because the only issue might just be the way you "brace" yourself so you can hold yourself up, which was my issue with HS/PE3 

most of my weight is on my head, is that good or bad

Keilani Gutierrez

not bad at all, that's actually very clear. if most of the weight is on your head and not distributed evenly between both hands and your head, like a triangle of balance, the center of it being your balance point while you raise, you especially have to brace yourself well or it's easy to get extended at the hip and have to bail. i did that by accident at the beach a few days ago and i ate it on two handstand bails where I committed but failed....miserably. 

Christian

This is the way I try to do it with the kids I "coach". They have to hold each position before moving to the next one. I sometimes ask them: "are you comfortable?" and they have to reply; "Yes, I am quite comfortable, thank you" between each position.

 

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVj6Ihnyjyk

DouglasMN

Christian - Thanks for this! I can't wait to try the sequence at home; getting into headstands was always rocky for me.  I imagine my partner will throw me strange looks while I quietly chant, "Yes, I am quite comfortable, thank you" from the other room.

 

I might even employ the chant during ABH, dislocates, and all of the other exorcist level contortions in H1/F1. :)

Alan Tseng

I did it!

 

I found out several days ago that one reason I couldn't do it was because my base of support (my 2 hands + head) was way too narrow, and after practicing several days I ended up doing 5 seconds or so.

 

 

Edit: Well for 1 set anyways :(

Alan Tseng

Grr... Very annoying.  After that one time, I haven't been able to replicate it.

yamad

I also had trouble with control getting into a headstand at first, and it took having a former gymnast watch me to get it right. Her one-sentence advice solved the whole thing immediately: "Tuck your hips before you straighten your legs." 

 

This is the same as ChrisBR's first point. Think of the extension from the tripod position in two stages. First, straighten your back and tuck the hips. Keep the legs bent and tucked as you do this. Second, only after your back/hips feel solid, straighten the legs. As you get a feel for it over time, you'll be able to merge the two movements so it feels like one smooth transition.

mcneuen

Are you falling over (to your back), or are you falling down (to your stomach), or is it a mix?

Your hand width comment above is a good clue. It's also possible your hands are too close to your head (front to back, not side to side) and you'd do better moving them away.

If almost all of the weight is on your head, that could be a sign that your hands aren't in a useful starting position.

A video could help.

dritar

 A video might be helpful, it could be that you are setting the tripod incorrectly. 

jules

Make sure that your base is a true triangle. Equal distance between hands and head.

Handbalancers will do a headstand on the crown, however in gymnastics, we use the hard (soccer ball headbutt) forehead.

The head will naturally take more weight as the body stacks above it (or maybe it just hurts more lol), but try to actively take some

of the weight into the hands. 
A video would be super helpful.

Alan Tseng
mcneuen said:

Are you falling over (to your back), or are you falling down (to your stomach), or is it a mix?

Your hand width comment above is a good clue. It's also possible your hands are too close to your head (front to back, not side to side) and you'd do better moving them away.

If almost all of the weight is on your head, that could be a sign that your hands aren't in a useful starting position.

A video could help.

 

I fall forward to my back.

 

my 2 hands/head forms an equilateral triangle.

 

i won't be doing a video in this, all you'll see is me flopping around the floor and potentially injuring myself in the process

jules

The it is possible that you are extending your feet to the ceiliing. There needs to be slight angle with the body.

You can also shoot a video with a wall infront of you. That way, if you do tip over a little to far, the wall will block you

from falling and hurting yourself. Don't be embarrassed about shooting a video. The best way we can help is direct feedback.

Like a coach in the room with you :)