This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

im-1 slow progress, aditional exercises/add volume

Started by Openeye, May 19, 2014 · 9 Replies · 349 Views

Openeye

Hi!

 

My lats are higly overdevelopped and it seems they have a constant pull on the sholders making them rotate forwards. When i stretch my hands over my head with straight arms they will stop at an 80 degree angle, if i stand with good posture. I guess the IM is supposed to work with this problem, but i've been doing the excercice since the beginning of feb 2-3 times a week for 5 sets, and have only seen small improvements, and i would estimate it will take atleast 1+ year to complete the excercise. So.. is there any other excersices i could add to speed up the prosess? waight training for some muscle that will nutralise the lats and more stretches.

Duff

Where are you in Foundation RC progression?

 

I find this stretch very effective for lats:

 

Wall.jpg

Adriano Augusto
 but i've been doing the excercice since the beginning of feb 2-3 times a week for 5 sets, and have only seen small improvements,[/quoe]

 

Small progress is still progress.

 

Don't put on you a "date" to complete nothing, because youd body doesn't work like that. Your body need adaptation, and that requires time.

 

I spent more than a year with some elements both HS1 and F1, so this is normal because we're deconstructing and constructing our bodies, and that is a process.

 

Train the iM more times after the main workout.

 

Cheers.

Openeye

Never tried Foundation, or RC. I can do 32 pullups.

Ok, i have tried it a little in the past, allthogh not been very systematic. Will try to add it in and see if it helps! But what i think woulf work the best is bacically a strength excersice who rotate/pull shoulders back in a good position.

 

Adriano: yeah sure, Rome wassen't buildt in a day.. BUT, that dossen't mean i can't adapt faster then i am doing now, right? That you spent one year is probably normal, yes, too me its also a sign that you should/could have added other excercices to help you acheve the main excercise faster. I will try to add more sets as well. any idea how often i can train the IM? For example is it any dangers in doing it everyday?

 

thanks for answers :)

Duff
Openeye said:

Never tried Foundation, or RC. I can do 32 pullups.

Ok, i have tried it a little in the past, allthogh not been very systematic. Will try to add it in and see if it helps! But what i think woulf work the best is bacically a strength excersice who rotate/pull shoulders back in a good position.

If you have Foundation, you can see what mobility elements are paired with pulling strength(and it's quite obvious why). Just a strength exercise won't work, you need to stretch the lats. Stretch the lats HARD, then go do the iM and apply all the good cues(push the bar up, activate the traps). I think it's fine to do it every day, just be aware of any pain or discomfort after the actual exercise.

 

And like Adriano said, you can be doing everything right and it might still take a looong time to mastery. While I only spent 3 months on PE1 iM, I have been doing PE2 iM for 6 now and I still can't get it up to horizontal(grrrrrr :angry: ). It takes a combination of passive and active stretching, loaded stretches, doing the actual exercise lots, and first and foremost patience.

-MR

I've been working on this element for over a year now and have made very slow but steady progress (I've never met anyone with tighter shoulders than what I started with). I used to work on it 4 times per week, but have found that working it less frequently ((1-2 times per week)) gives me better or at least equivalent results. I'm at the point where I can finally get my arms straight overhead, but only when I don't tuck my ribs in, so I still have some work to do. In terms of progress, I find that it seems to come in steps rather than being progressive, i.e. after a period of what seems to be no improvement, I suddenly notice a jump in my mobility after which a plateau sets in again. 

 

Mine is both a passive and active mobility problem, so I've recently added HS/PE4 with a weighted bar to work on the passive mobility element with my ribs tucked in. 

 

I'm using the same strategy with HS/PE2>iM after reading one of Ravn's posts here: https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/15733-working-pe1-im-and-pe2-im-concurrently/. Both of these mobility elements are so challenging for me that I've been doing them both at the same time so that I don't end-up spending 5 years on the first two elements of the handstand series. Progress in HS/PE2>iM has been so slow that I'm glad I've gone that route as I'm also seeing some slow progress in that element. 

 

Anyway, just something to think about if you've got tight shoulders like I do. 

Soboc

Hi everybody, 

 

This topic is really relevant to me as well. I have big shoulder mobility problems, and that was one on the reasons to buy the course. I started last week, and I have found that I can master HS/P1, but I cant complete the HS/P1 < iM1 with a narrow grip. So, I would like to know if I have to do HS/P1 until I finally get the correct position of Hs/P < iM ? I could start with week 5 of HS/P2, but I don't know if it is correct or no...

 

Thanks for your help!

 

Regards, 

 

Javier

Murray Truelove

My biggest gains with IM:1/2 came from how hard I was working them. IM:2 for example; you can lift the bar or you can LIFT the bar up.

Another comparison would be a pushup, you can go up and down with good form or you can really focus in on all the details: abs/glutes tensed, shoulders depressed, fingers squeezing the ground, breathing out with the ascent, etc. The difference from working at 95% vs 100%.

It might sound a bit hyperbolic but I had to really work at these to make progress. I don't mean to imply you're not working hard enough but when I really concentrate on form with these they become a very different exercise.

Openeye

Allright guys, thanks for all input! Got some eyeopening ideas il try out next workout :)

Alessandro Mainente

i like the exercises showed on the 2nd answer BUT, since the mobility element is performed when you are sit down (IM) and here is quite difficult to arch the lower back , the showed photo will improve your IM2, but not too much.

i found that if you want to improve X you need you can select additional exercises but with the same pattern as X.

so i prefer to do the showed exercise while engaging a strong PPT and squeezing the abs, then you will recognize you real actual level of flexibility.