please, thank you group.
Deck Squat (last set of 5)
Tuck-up (last set of 5)
Thanks.
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by David Creekmore, May 19, 2014 · 6 Replies · 331 Views
please, thank you group.
Deck Squat (last set of 5)
Tuck-up (last set of 5)
Thanks.
Not sure about the deck squats; you had several reps where you sort of lost your balance standing up and had to take several steps as a result. I personally wouldn't consider that mastery for myself, but I don't know what the official word is on such things.
With the tuck-ups it looks as though you still need some more ROM to reach mastery. Your legs are not quite touching your chest and stomach as per the form notes and demo video. I feel your pain on these as I have been really struggling to get that last little bit of compression on these myself.
Would agree with the deck squats. They look almost there though.
The tuck ups look like enough compression for me, just the balance issue that needs to be worked in again. You could actively compress at the end of each a little, however, to tighten it up. This might also help some of the balance, as well as maybe speeding up a bit. These are all things that will get worked through time though. Things look pretty good.
Yeah thanks both - agree neither are at mastery. That's the beauty of videoing and posting it, one has to confront the harsh reality. (I didn't even post my ABH, which I can hold for 5x 60 seconds, but my form drops too much, sigh.)
And Tanstaafl, I'm gonna work on being more explosive in the compression. I think I'm practicing it too slowly because it is a balance thing you are right.
David Creekmore said:Yeah thanks both - agree neither are at mastery. That's the beauty of videoing and posting it, one has to confront the harsh reality. (I didn't even post my ABH, which I can hold for 5x 60 seconds, but my form drops too much, sigh.)
And Tanstaafl, I'm gonna work on being more explosive in the compression. I think I'm practicing it too slowly because it is a balance thing you are right.
David - are your toes pointed outward (V shape)? They appear to be in your video. That is the way I do my deck squats. I first noticed that the athlete in the course video had his feet parallel. I had posted a question on whether feet should be parallel or not when they hit the floor after rolling out of the tuck position.
https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/15320-deck-squat-slspe1-feet-position/
One reply suggested I strive to keep my feet parallel but I am not sure if that is required for mastery. When I did barbell squats ( I don't do weights anymore - just F1 and H1 for strength training), I used to keep my toes pointed outward (a high school coach taught me to squat that way). Although I was able to do barbell squats with parallel feet it did not feel as natural as with my toes pointed outward. 3 months ago I could not even do 1 deck squat. Now I am able to do 5 x 15 reps. But endurance is holding me back - as my legs fatigue, I lose tempo and form suffers.
So now as I press on to improve my endurance, I am trying to figure out if the feet need to be parallel when they hit the floor after rolling out of the tuck position in order to achieve mastery. Or if feet position is a matter of preference just as head position is for tripod (top of head or crown).
Mike, generally IME pointing the feet out on wider stance squats makes some sense because the hips will naturally "turn out" as the knees get wider and allowing the toes to point in the same direction as the knees does feel more natural for many people. When I used to squat that was my preferred stance too (like you I just do F1 and H1 now for my GPP work).
But, as your legs get closer your toes should continue to follow your knees, so with your legs together your feet should also be together. If you cannot squat with the feet together when the legs are together, then you most likely have tight calves and weak Anterior Tibialis muscles. I know that when I first started F1 I had the same problem, and found that just practicing being in the bottom of a legs together/feet together "Paleo chair" and actively trying to pull my knees forward over my toes (while keeping my heels on the floor) using my Anterior Tibialis (the muscles on the front of the shin that pull your toes back towards your shins) has made squatting in this position much easier and more manageable.
I don't know if this is required for master of Deck squats, but I think it is going to run you into trouble later on down the road if you lack strength and mobility in your ankles in this ROM. Also, if the toes turn out there is a much, much greater chance that your arches will collapse and you will put more stress on the inside of the knee. Obviously some of the exercises (inside squats) in F1 are designed to strengthen these tissues, but not all of the exercises are supposed to be executed with that type of stress put on the knee.
Just my 2 cents.
Keegan said:Mike, generally IME pointing the feet out on wider stance squats makes some sense because the hips will naturally "turn out" as the knees get wider and allowing the toes to point in the same direction as the knees does feel more natural for many people. When I used to squat that was my preferred stance too (like you I just do F1 and H1 now for my GPP work).
But, as your legs get closer your toes should continue to follow your knees, so with your legs together your feet should also be together. If you cannot squat with the feet together when the legs are together, then you most likely have tight calves and weak Anterior Tibialis muscles. I know that when I first started F1 I had the same problem, and found that just practicing being in the bottom of a legs together/feet together "Paleo chair" and actively trying to pull my knees forward over my toes (while keeping my heels on the floor) using my Anterior Tibialis (the muscles on the front of the shin that pull your toes back towards your shins) has made squatting in this position much easier and more manageable.
I don't know if this is required for master of Deck squats, but I think it is going to run you into trouble later on down the road if you lack strength and mobility in your ankles in this ROM. Also, if the toes turn out there is a much, much greater chance that your arches will collapse and you will put more stress on the inside of the knee. Obviously some of the exercises (inside squats) in F1 are designed to strengthen these tissues, but not all of the exercises are supposed to be executed with that type of stress put on the knee.
Just my 2 cents.
I appreciate your input Keegan. I will implement your suggestion (i.e. "Paleo Chair") as I strive for mastery with deck squats.