This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Deck Squat (SLS/PE1) Feet Position

Started by Mike71, March 4, 2014 · 4 Replies · 262 Views

Mike71

I am on week two of deck squats and just performed 5 sets of 3 reps.  I notice that when I stand up after rolling out of the tuck position my feet are pointed in a V shape with toes outward and heels close together (not touching).  I start the deck squat with feet parallel but when I attempt to stand up, my feet are not remaining parallel.  I am not able to stand otherwise.  The first week was a struggle for me to perform 3 reps as it took several tries to stand up for one rep.  I feel like I made progress on week two as I was able to stand up on the first try for each of the 3 reps on set 1.   On set number 2,  I was only able to stand on the first try for  the first two reps but needed a second try for the last rep and that was about the same for the remainder of the sets - but I think my legs were getting tired from the combination of the deck squats and skiers.  But now I want to make sure I have the correct feet position as I move toward Mastery of 5 sets times 15 reps.  Thanks.

 

Mike

Mike71

I am now able to perform 5 sets of 15 reps but not at mastery due to endurance - as my legs fatigue I find myself having to break tempo and rest for a few seconds between reps in the later sets, especially after SLS/iM1 (Skiers).  My feet are still in a V shape when they hit the floor after rolling out of the tuck position.  I noticed in some of the form check videos others also have their feet outward (V shape) when rolling out of the tuck position.  However, the athlete in the video keeps his feet parallel when rolling out of the tuck position.  Are feet position a matter of preference in this case?  I try to keep them parallel as best I can when rolling out of the tuck position but they always end up in an outward position (V shape).  I just want to make sure I have correct form as I strive for mastery. Thanks.

 

 

Mike

JukkaL

I think you should strive to keep your feet parallel like in the video.

Probably lack of ankle mobility forces you to put your feet in the V shape. 

 

 

Damon Amato

Could be you just have deep hip sockets and that is a more comfortable position coming from your hips.  Are you also having trouble with internal rotation during hip swivels?

Mike71
Damon Amato said:

Could be you just have deep hip sockets and that is a more comfortable position coming from your hips.  Are you also having trouble with internal rotation during hip swivels?

 

Interesting, I never thought of deep hip sockets being a factor.  Although my ROM has improved from week 1, I still have trouble getting my inside knee to touch the floor on swivel hips.