This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Straddle running man

Started by kimura, May 14, 2014 · 17 Replies · 753 Views

kimura

I tried to search the forum for info on this iM but didn't come up with much. Doesn't it seem odd that the next few iM after straddle running man are 5, 10 reps, etc., but this one is 20 per set? Seems a bit high, could it be a mistake?

Also, how have some of you dealt with the difficulty breathing during this one? It's not so bad that I can't complete it but it's pretty uncomfortable.

And while we're on the subject I might as well throw a forearm plank question in there. Should we be maximally protracted during these?

Thanks in advance!

Keegan

Can't answer the reps question, but in regards to the forearm plank, yes we should be maximally protracted.

lnick1975

Oh wow! Not sure when that got upgraded or maybe i misread it.

I thought it was 10 reps total, 5 per leg, at least at when i was on that progression.

Kage

I I did 10 per leg on this one, but that could be too much.
Breathing was okay, but it was painful stuff for sure. Breathing probably gets easier as you get more "comfortable" in this position.

howens

The description says 10 per leg. It's always said that as far as I know.

The Hansenator

Somehow I thought it was 10 total as well, maybe because other exercises are 10 total.

howens

10 per leg felt really hard at first. I actually treated it like the strength element using the 10 rep template.

kimura

Yeah it just seems odd that he would have us doing 20 when most others are 10 total, but I've been doing 20. They are killer on the glutes, it's great. Do these look okay?

KibboKift

Hi kimura,

You seem to be lifting the hip on the side of your working leg at the same time as you extend that leg. AFAIK hips should not lift at all (ie always remain in contact with the box). You'll see the reason for this if you attempt the next iM. In SPl PE3 iM you will be lifting both legs at the same time, so you won't be able to compensate with the hips. So before you move on to the next iM, you will need to be able to demonstrate a similar range of motion to that shown in your video, but with hips stationary.

 

Working one leg at a time is a lot less intense than both legs at once and allows us to build up a decent level of medial glute strength before progressing to harder elements. It's common for earlier elements in foundation to specify higher rep counts in order that we may build up our work capacity and connective tissue strength at a safer, lower level of intensity. That's the way I understand it anyhow.

lnick1975

Ya, Well this ain't no donkey kick.

Jennifer
Coach answers here re donkey kicks:  5 per side, 10 total

 

The course notes say 10r per leg, so that's curious.

mcneuen

Apologies, I was confused about which iM we were discussing. Donkey Kicks are down the road.

Jennifer

Ok, that makes more sense now.  

 

 

Kimura, looks good!  

kimura

Thanks Jennifer!

I'm confused about what you mean about the hip lifting though kibbokift... I will have to work with it some more and see.

Carlos Rodríguez

I'm currently in Swivel Hips limbo, but I was wondering... we have to keep lower back from arching too much, right?

CrayfishBaz

Hi there, have a look at this post for swivel hips, particularly point 6. Has really helped me and I've almost mastered it. Previously as flexible in this area as a brick.

 

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/15200-finally-conquered-swivel-hips/

 

6. Posture actually pays a big part in Swivel Hips.  Believe it or not, this was actually the one that caused the biggest increase in range of motion.  Your back should be arched.  The lumbar spine shouldn't be rounded in this exercise.

Keegan

Your Straddle running mans look good to me Kimura, I don't see any greater amount of hip lift than the athlete in the demo video.