This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Planche lean sucks. Any advice, abuse even, is appreciated.

Started by Milkman, May 12, 2014 · 22 Replies · 789 Views

Milkman

Members:

 

I am having some real difficulty getting my planche lean to be where I want it.  I know that my middle back is rounding too much and my upper back not enough (insufficient scapular protraction perhaps).  However, I can't seem to get that upper back to round and the scape protracted very well even when not under load.  I'm trying to upload a video here for feedback.  Don't worry, you won't hurt my feelings.  Just let me have it.  But please, no comments about the "John Stockton shorts".

IMG_2444.MOV

Milkman

By the way, if I didn't upload that sucker correctly, please let me know how to do it.  My upload skills are as bad as my planche skills.

Nash

Hey!

 

Put your video on Youtube and set your privacy as Unlisted. After that, paste the link here so we can see it.

 

One thing that might be the cause of what you're describing is over-depression. Try and keep your depression at 90-95% and see if you can round the upper back more with that modification.

 

 

-Nash

Milkman

 

Turn down the sound.

LateStarter@46

You are not a plank - that's the abusive comment :-)

I would forget about rounding your back and instead make a straight body line, literally like a plank of wood. Then PROTRACT those scapulaes (try to push straight arms through the floor), and THEN lean, holding and trying to increase protraction all the while.

Why are you not wearing your own shorts?

Gavin S

Firstly, start to enjoy this element. It'll make the mastery process easier.

 

Secondly, create less friction for your feet by wearing socks, using a Frisbee or a furniture slider. This will help with activation and to increase the lean.

Milkman

You can't see it in the video, but I am using a furniture slider.  That may be the only thing I'm doing correctly.

dritar

Use a mirror or someone yelling at you :).

 

More seriously,  I think you're focusing on the rounding back too much. Forget the rounding of the back cue and focus on protracting as much as you can. Go into a plank, protract as much as you can and lean. Push the floor and without moving your hand position think about rotating your arms and spreading the floor. Your upper back will round naturally and you'll be in the correct position.

 

Use the mirror (or a helpful person who like to yell at you) to focus on not lose protraction as time passes in the set and to not pike (you don't seem to have an issue with piking but it's something to watch out for).

LateStarter@46
dritar said:

 

More seriously,  I think you're focusing on the rounding back too much. Forget the rounding of the back cue and focus on protracting as much as you can. Go into a plank, protract as much as you can and lean. Push the floor and without moving your hand position think about rotating your arms and spreading the floor. Your upper back will round naturally and you'll be in the correct position.

 

That's what I said, you orrible little man!

 

:)

Cole Dano

It might help to see how your plank is as well, as that may well be you have the same issues there.

Milkman

 

Above, you will find another video.  In this, I tried to focus not on rounding my back, but rather the following; 1) straight plank, 2) push away from the floor (hopefully getting scapular protraction), 3) lean.

 

Any advice is appreciated.  I feel like I am not leaning forward enough.  Any further, and I cannot hold for the prescribed time.  Therefore, I am considering dropping back down and restarting.  Again, any advice is appreciated.

emilianop

I think your scapulas are still not protracted, you can see them sticking out of the profile of your upper back since the beginning, shadowing the centre of the spine.

 

You can think about "trying and touch your shoulders in front of your chest", which is impossible of course, but usually helps me understanding the type of tension and direction I need to go for...

Milkman

I think you are right about the scapulas.  I'm wondering how to fix it.  For what it's worth, I don't know that I can protract them much more even when they are not under load (e.g. when I push against a wall).

emilianop

What I find helpful is not to start with a straight body, but from a sitting position.

 

I kneel down, sitting with butt on my heels, put my hands on the floor aside my knees and attempt maximal protraction from there (so without any load on it).

I check against the mirror until I really can't push much further, then I start sliding my feet back while trying and keep that stance with my scapulas.

Once I reach a position where my body is straight (sort of a plank let's say) and if I was able to keep the same scapula shape I started with, then I start leaning (very poorly I should add :) ).

 

When I first did this I noticed my scapulas were sinking straight away, not really because of missing strength, I just didn't have the sensitivity to feel that shape, that's why I always do in in front of a mirror.

Keegan

Like Cole said, you should post a vid of your push-up plank, and you may even want to double check mastery of forearm plank and Scap shrugs if you are having trouble protracting sufficiently even without load.

Milkman

Some videos of my plank:

 

 

 

 

Elbow plank:

 

 

 

Scap shrugs:

 

 

Fire away.  Let me know what you think I should do (go back to a lower level, etc.).  Thanks.

Keegan

Scap shrugs are tough to tell due to the angle.

Forearm plank is maybe a little bit questionable as you can see the very top of the scaps just barely reaching full protraction.

Push up plank is definitely short of mastery in terms of protraction though. You are rounding from your middle and lower back sufficiently and your PPT and hip extension look good, but you are well short of enough protraction.

Any way you could post a vid of the Scap shrugs from a side view like the push-up plank? I'd be curious to see if you were capable of protracting for a slight pause and perhaps just don't have the strength to hold the position static, can't sufficiently protract at all (and thus didn't really master the Scap shrugs), or just are having a hard time fully protracting while holding the hollow shape of the PU Plank.

Milkman

I'll try to post that video.  But I'm wondering if there isn't another issue as I can't protract any more than that even against the wall (with no load whatsoever).  That isn't a strength issue I don't believe.

Keegan

Mark Collins or any of the other Physical Therapists or body work experts might have some more in depth insight as to why you are having a hard time protracting.

How does your RCPE1>iM look? Will your scapulae protract if they are pulled into protraction by gravity/an external force? Maybe post a video of that too if possible.

If they will protract if pulled into protraction, then your inability to actively protract them is most likely due to a lack of strength, a lack of understanding of how to engage the correct muscles to makes the movement happen, or some sort of clinical issue (but I'm not qualified to diagnose or treat such issues).

Cole Dano

Lots of vides, very helpful. You are actually getting decent movement form your scaps.

 

Two thoughts 

 

- imagine that you are sucking your scaps onto your body

 

- from the top of you chest try to 'look' more forward, while lifting up.

Milkman

Mr. Dano:

 

Thank you for your help.  Sadly, my understanding of your points is about as bad as my planche lean (my fault, not yours).  Let me see if I can repeat back to you what I think you might be saying:

 

  • imagine that you are sucking your scaps onto your body
    • I think this would mean that I am trying to pull my scaps tight to my body almost as if they are coming around from my back to my chest.
  • from the top of your chest try to 'look' more forward, while lifting up
    • I am assuming this means that I want to lift my chest up (like a cobra) thereby reducing a bit of the lumbar rounding.

Please correct me if any of my assumptions are incorrect.  Also, if there are any other videos that you would find helpful, let me know.  My daughter is a budding cinematographer.   :)

 

Once I have a clear understanding, I am happy to add some videos of me trying your suggestions.  Lastly, is there any advice you would give me with regards to programming (e.g. going back to a particular point in the series)?  I have no ego here.  I know I suck, so you can't hurt my feelings.

 

Again, thank you so much for your time and effort toward my progress.

Cole Dano

I think you get the idea.