My name is Mark and I am 33 years old, married, 3 kids, work blah blah and very busy man. If you go back to 2010 I was a mess, 300 lbs (if not more) and out of shape and very disappointed and depressed. I started lifting weights in 2010 and got stronger and my weight stuck around 280 or so. I am 6'5" and kept using my height as an excuse. Powerlifting was pretty boring so I tried strongman. I had the opportunity to train with some of the best. After about 6 months of Strongman I just couldn't get in to it. They really focused on eating a lot and getting big (even fat if necessary) to move weight. This bothered me, my reason for doing anything was to lose weight and try to get fit. I just want to live as long as I can for my family. One day I was on teh web, decided to volunteer for the CrossFit Regionals last year and from there I was hooked. I had read about and seen CrossFit but until I got to work it I didn't truly understand. I know it gets a lot of flack but man I love it. I have never felt better in my life.
September of 2013 my gym had a contest, a weight loss contest. I was down 20lbs and sitting at 272 and found a diet coach. I promised him and myself that this was the last time I was trying it, I knew I had to be successful this time. The contest ran through December and finished off right before Christmas. I had a long talk with him and decided that I was going to do this and probably going ot lose strength. As the contest started me and another guy took off from the beginning, looking back I should have done more cardio or something but it all worked out. I was within a couple pounds of him and my daughter was born on 12/6 so I didn't get to go to the gym for almost 2 weeks. I did what I could at home and finished out the program. I weighed in on December 20th, 2013 at 217 lbs. This was after a bodybuilder style cut so right now I sit at 235 or so daily. I was beyond proud of what I did and it has really helped me with CrossFit.
So I ended up having to leave my gym due to family issues, I was getting home late and on base we have a free gym and I found an amazing guy to train with. He is a lot smaller then me but just as strong and is very impressive in the bodyweight and gymnastic style moves as well. I love olympic lifting and although it is frustrating because my "powerliftng "strength" didn't carry over I am doing well and really trying to push myself. I have decent mobility now, shoulders are getting a bit stronger. I was able to hold a HSPU at the top for over 60 seconds for 3 rounds. I actually did my first legit HSPU this week. I watched Barbell Shrugged and knew immediatley this is where I need to go. I consider myself an athlete, a natural one who just let the IT life and life in general ruin everything I had growing up. So that is me...is there anything I can start to do that is free for now to get moving on gymnastics? Also, which course should I buy first when I do decide to get one?