This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

First post, Form Checks please!

Started by abvb11, April 30, 2014 · 13 Replies · 521 Views

abvb11

Hey everyone, this is my first post. I have been on the Foundation program for a little over 4 weeks now. I figured I should start trying some mastery of some exercises. If you would take a look and let me know if you think I can move on or share some pointers !!  Thanks all.

 

Tuck up - (MN/PE1) I did the master set/reps so just checking on form

Windmill - (MN/PE1>im) I am also able to do all reps after the PE. I have a kettlbell here because it is what I had at the time for taping, but I am usually using a dumbbell for this exercise

 

Deck squat - (SLS/PE1) I was able to complete the mastery sets/reps for this as well, checking form

Skiers - (SLS/PE1>im) Checking on form for these

 

Static seated shoulder flex - (HS/PE1) This is the one I am really interested to get feedback on as I thought I was doing this correctly until I went back in some of the forum posts and read more on it. Mid way through I realized to pull my ribs in more to try to get the hollow. Just trying to see if I am getting there and how much / if much more I need on it?

 

While on the subject of handstand work. I have mastered the tripod (HS/PE1) however I tried the headstand (HS/PE2) yesterday and was only able to get through 1 set of 3x12s. I could get up again for second try but couldn't hold it the whole time (scary rolling over as I am not use to that). I am trying to figure out how to work up to the 3x12s as the tripod was easy for me. Should I just continue to try 3 sets and hold as long as possible until I get the 3x12s or is there something inbetween the tripod and headstand that I can work on? Being a taller female (5'11") I am thinking this type of work will take me longer to progress on but I can't wait until I can hold the headstand for mastery!!

 

Swivel hips - (SL/PE1) Also while I had the video going, decided to check swivel hips to see where I was at and how close I am and if I am doing it correctly at this point.

 

Thank you all for any feedback/input!

TANSTAAFL
  • Tuck Ups look good, nice compression.
  • Windmills just check the feet with the demo vid. Should be more perpendicular which facilitates the bending a little more sideways than forward. Also slow it down on the decent.
  • Deck squats and skiers look fine to me
  • Swivel hips you should be moving both legs, so the inside of one knee and the outside of the other both touch the ground at the end of each rep

Definitely post a vid of the HeS so we can see what's going on. Until you get used to rolling you can do it by a wall so your feet will catch you, but only use that as a temporary step. What is it besides the rolling fear for limiting factor?

 

As for HS/PE1/iM check here and here, hopefully that'll help clear things up. I'm not sure how wide you are either, but you are definitely going to far behind/possibly dislocating. You want to shrug your shoulders up super hard before you move the arms back and also focus on not letting your shoulders rotate as in a dislocate.

Jonathan Horowitz

Also - always film with your phone/camera in landscape (horizontal) position!

LateStarter@46

Effortless! You are a natural with these. Nice work.

federicoC

Form looks good to me. I wasn't able to see some of the videos as they were not loading, but I suppose since the others had no issue it must be a problem with my browser.

abvb11

Thank TANSTAAFL. I keep forgetting about my feet on the windmill I do know what your talking about and have fixed it before and is helpful. And thanks for the note on the swivel hips, I didn't even notice that in the demo video that both knees go down until you said something. Appreciate you pointing it out and will work on that next workout.

 

I will work on getting a vid of the HeS and will go from there. I'm not sure if there is anything else holding me back, not sure if it's just the fear of falling the other direction, will try to wall idea also.

And will work on the shrug for the im. My thumbs were just outside my shoulder on that vid, I will try to record again and get another angle.

 

Thank you Jonathan for the reminder of the recording in landscape, I knew that and totally forgot as I haven't recorded this type of thing in a long time.

 

Thanks LateStarter@46, I hope the new progressions will be just as effortless :)

wheezer

With the tuck-ups, I think it's more effective to have the knees a bit open - not completely bent. Notice the model gymnast's knees are bent at a 45-degree angle, and the lower legs are parallel with his arms.

 

I find this tiny adjustment makes a big difference to how much of the rectus abdominal muscles are engaged. Considering my level of suck at straddle-ups right now, I like this preparation. :D

 

Your deck squats... holy cow. Wish I could stand with such little momentum.

 

PS. Cute kitty!

TANSTAAFL
wheezer said:

With the tuck-ups, I think it's more effective to have the knees a bit open - not completely bent. Notice the model gymnast's knees are bent at a 45-degree angle, and the lower legs are parallel with his arms.

Never really noticed that. Will give that a try next time...unless 'more effective' translate into harder... :huh:

abvb11

So, I have some new videos if you all will take another look and share what you see :)

 

Tuck up - I am wondering if my legs still are not high enough, I think it is better though

 

Swivel hips - I now have both legs going down, just checking form again. Its seems my right knee going in is harder than left side, so something I will need to be working on.

 

For the headstand I posted a video in H1, figured that was a better fit.

Cory Fair

As a quick reminder, all YouTube form checks should be unlisted and not public!

abvb11

Oh so sorry. I am not sure if I read that anywhere or if I did I did not remember. Changing now.

Thank you.

SoyeBoy

For the windmills also, we can't see the kettlebell position at the top so it is hard to tell if you are getting full rotation at the shoulder. Doing this with a dumbell also makes it easier to gauge the degree of rotation - compare this to the demo vid. Looks OK though, apart from the foot position.

For swivel hips I think that you are very nearly there, although I think you could benefit from a week 9-12 microcycle (assuming you are also at this level for your Scap Push Ups). Strive to keep the glutes on the ground.

Very envious of the Deck Squats. Almost no momentum required!

William

for the most exercises you really did a good job! well done :)

Petra Dvorak

i just watched the instructional video again; with the backroll for SLS i think you should focus on tucking your knees and feet more - rolling like a ball - to prevent any momentum. btw i love your cat!