This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBP 17

Started by Mats Trane, April 25, 2014 · 30 Replies · 1,446 Views

Mats Trane

Finally had some progress lately :).

For you who get stuck on this exercise, the following helped me.

- Start with your head elevated. I used these small panel mats (see picture). You can easily go lower or higher.

- Release/stretch your traps by lying on your back and putting your feet behind your head.

- As you press up breath out as you descend breath in.

The other day I did 5 in a row (head elevated) :)

Hope it can help someone else :)

post-90-0-63161000-1408019478_thumb.jpg

Matthieu Jeandel

Mats, do you think to post a video of your progress? 

 

My tips was to do full headstand with wall first and know free headstand push up are "easier". Not easy, easier than before :-)

Ravn

I am doing singles of these as play, following my work sets of hbp16. My cue is to look at the horizon instead of the hands, doing so prevents arching of the back.

Mats Trane

One more thing that is helping me.

 

Before you even think of starting HBP 17, make sure you can do the previous HBP 16 from a freestanding HS with a perfect tight HOLLOW body.

I was arching mine (HBP 16) a bit and lately I´ve been working correcting this. Again, a video will always tell the truth.

J0X
Mats Trane said:

Coach, Cory or anyone else with the correct answer, are we allowed to

1. start HBP 17 from handstand instead of a headstand

2. Are we allowed to do them on paralettes?

1. Why shouldn't you? I also don't rest my weight on my head at the bottom of the rep as shown in the video, it messes up my body alignment. Do you guys do this?

2. I would not do them on paralettes as, for me at least, the balance component is different due to the additional stability in the wrists. Additionally, you do not condition your wrists and forearms properly. Same thing with planche, I plateau'd partly because of weak wrists and forearms because I never trained stuff on the floor as I just wanted to see fast progress and therefore used paralettes only, as it is significantly easier imo. 

Ravn

After doing months and months of singles, I finally did a set of three yesterday. Triumph!