This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBP 17

Started by Mats Trane, April 25, 2014 · 30 Replies · 1,446 Views

Mats Trane

Anyone mastered this one? All tips are welcome :)

I'm on my third week and every now and then I get 2 I a row BUT with a bit sloppy form. There is a lot of technique and strenght. I guess I have to be patient :)

Daniel Burnham

Yes,  the biggest problem for me was balancing without falling into a pushup position.  Think about stretching towards the ceiling. 

 

I didn't have too much problem with the strength.  At that time handstand pushups were one of my strongest movements.  

 

Got a video?

Ravn
Mats Trane said:

Anyone mastered this one? All tips are welcome :)

I'm on my third week and every now and then I get 2 I a row BUT with a bit sloppy form. There is a lot of technique and strenght. I guess I have to be patient :)

 

 

I'd also like to know, in general, how to build up a skill were the volume you can perform is limited? Obviously you'll have a much lower training volume doing strength skills like HeSPU as opposed to something like slackline, which can be practiced for hours every day.

Daniel Burnham said:

Yes,  the biggest problem for me was balancing without falling into a pushup position.  Think about stretching towards the ceiling. 

 

That is my problem too. I'm working the negatives (HBP16)) at the moment, and end each negative with a 1" pushup off the floor and back, just lifting and holding for a second, and then back down. I hope it will give me better control of the first phase of the press once I get to HBP17.

Mats Trane
Daniel Burnham said:

Yes,  the biggest problem for me was balancing without falling into a pushup position.  Think about stretching towards the ceiling. 

 

I didn't have too much problem with the strength.  At that time handstand pushups were one of my strongest movements.  

 

Got a video?

Yea got a video I'll try to get it up tonight. Be warned it's not very nice looking :)

Mats Trane
Daniel Burnham said:

 

Got a video?

http://youtu.be/0AJx5SQm7f8

Obviously not tight enough

Don't close my shoulders at the top

To much arch

Maybe I could practice, from a free standing HS, do a negative just 2 inches and then press back up to practice the top part (the closing shoulder bit so I end up in a nice tight HS again)?

Daniel Burnham
Mats Trane said:

http://youtu.be/0AJx5SQm7f8

Obviously not tight enough

Don't close my shoulders at the top

To much arch

Maybe I could practice, from a free standing HS, do a negative just 2 inches and then press back up to practice the top part (the closing shoulder bit so I end up in a nice tight HS again)?

looks like you are arching to include your chest more in the push.  Try spreading the arms just a bit and focus on pushing from the shoulders to get to open handstand.  Make sure you keep a mostly hollow body.

Alessandro Mainente

OK try that, first squeeze the but and engage a strong PPT. and reach the floor with the center of the head so that the neutral spine avoid the arch in lower back. i usually try to see the feet simply because you are sure to squeeze the abs when you are pushing, if you look to your start position you can easily see that you do not see your feet during the movement.

Mats Trane

Thanks for the tips guys! I'll give them a try next session. It's obviously a technique/balance thing.

Might also try them from a pair of low pushup bars as my grip works much better on those.

Alessandro Mainente

I'll upload a link to one of my repetition style..

Ravn

Alex, that was a beautiful rep.

Mats Trane

Very Nice Alex!

MT Nordic

I'm afraid I'm stuck on this one until my H1 performance catches up.  Still on PE's.  In the meantime I'm working strength by doing these against the wall.  I think the form, though is very different against the wall.  Do you guys think this is good to do until i get my freestanding handstand done or should I do something else in the meantime?  

 

Alex,  great looking form on that HeSPU.  Mats, I'm jealous of where you're at here and you're not too far away from correcting those minor form issues.  Well done.

Alessandro Mainente

From my POV F3 is too much for who does not have at least 10-15 free handstand position. the fact that is necessary start from open handstand and finish into open handstand is very relevant.

the wall can be good if used to be a basis for F3 HBP so, instead of doing it back to wall, i prefer chest to wall..you can mimic perfectly what happen in future HBP movements.

rking1972

I need a little help with the elbow positioning. In the book the guys elbows look like they flair out .I have about 10 wall hespu this way . I find keeping elbows in the whole way I am stuck on hespu ascent. I actually put my head on a panel Matt and work the raised surface and slowly take one Matt away as I get stronger. Or Is keeping elbows in not that important? Or a personal preference?

Jon Douglas

I don't think I have ever seen a full ROM HSPU with elbows flaring out, certainly not a freestanding one. It disconnects too much of your musculature to make it anything other than a bad habit longer term IMO.

Matthieu Jeandel

Hello 

 

Just some questions because I will start HBP PE 17 the next week. 

 

- need the head to be "far" in front of the hand ?

 

- need PE 17 to be worked with elbow in or a little elbow out is acceptable and will be change with the next progressions? 

 

- what's the lenght between the hands you use to? 

 

Thank you

 

Matt.

Alessandro Mainente

i used the same distance as in the handstand position. you start in handstand and finish in handstand, so use the regular distance.

Matthieu Jeandel

Thank you Alex. 

 

I asked this because my handstand hand position is not the same as "regular" push up (hand directly under the elbow), my hand are a little wider so I asked myself if it's was good. Because (for the moment) It's just impossible to push myself up with hand closer. 

 

Matt.

Alessandro Mainente

Fix the hands position, and see if it is a mobility problem. this is why i prefer a solid opened handstand before approach free hspu.

Matthieu Jeandel

OK thank you. 

 

Just one more question. 

 

In the book it is said that we don't have to make the descent of the free headstand push up. Is that the same for the foundation courses?

Jon Douglas

Just fyi, stretching my lats hard, in addition to the shoulder mobility, was necessary for me to get to a fully extended position on paralettes.

Alessandro Mainente

Very strange, did you perform IM7 and IM8 (H1) in hollow position, with strong PPT?

Jon Douglas
alex87 said:

Very strange, did you perform IM7 and IM8 (H1) in hollow position, with strong PPT?

Of course :) It's no problem now, but for about a week I was working quite hard to hold it while my lats/infraspinatus area adjusted with a stretch. I only encountered this tightness when I was working on paralettes and focusing on alternately protraction and having elbows go straight back in HSPU. It was fixed by just doing the exercise; no sensation of stretch now.

Mats Trane

Coach, Cory or anyone else with the correct answer, are we allowed to

1. start HBP 17 from handstand instead of a headstand

2. Are we allowed to do them on paralettes?