Hello all:
This is my first post here.
I've been very interested in learning some basic gymnastics progressions for a long time and am seriously considering purchase of F1 and H1. However, I do have at least one major reservation: I have recently located a qualified Olympic weightlifting coach (after years of searching) and am enjoying the hell out of weightlifting and am finally moving the bar fluidly and with athleticism (my coach has corrected many many bad habits I picked up from powerlifting & self teaching through Youtube videos). Although I've done a bit of searching through the forums and listening to some interviews with coach Sommer, I've yet to figure out how I might integrate the two.
To give you an idea of my present programming, I train with my coach on Mondays and Fridays. Mondays are snatches and snatch-assist movements and Fridays are cleans and clean assist movements (presently I am not training the jerk). Wednesdays I typically do some form of assistance work for the snatch and clean, but not the full lifts since I don't want to develop bad habit when I am not under his watchful eye.
On Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday I perform my squats and presses. The main squat exercises I use are either the front or back squat, and the presses are either the push press or the strict press. I also regularly perform pull-ups and various forms of core work throughout the week as well as greasing the groove work with with light overhead and front squats.
I realize that adding 2-3 hours per week of gymnastics training to this schedule will be too much, so I am well-aware that I will need to reduce the volume of my work. That said, squatting 3x per week is a must for me, and training the Olympic lifts with my coach on Mondays and Fridays are a must for me. I am flexible on getting rid of the pressing, however, and am flexible on moving my squatting days to M-W-F if need be, as well as getting rid of the rest of the supplemental work that I do to reduce the volume sufficiently to allow gymnastics training.
So, given the forgoing, is it realistic to start adding in gymnastics progressions from F1/H1 to my training. If so, how would you do it? A couple ideas occur to me off the top of my (and any feedback would be greatly appreciated):
Monday: Squats & Snatch-based
Tuesday: Gymnastics
Wednesday: Squats & OL assist
Thursday: Gymnastics or off day depending my work capacity
Friday: Squats & Clean-based
Saturday: Gymnastics
Sunday: Off
Monday: Gymnastics AM, snatch-based PM
Tuesday: Squats
Wednesday: Off or Gymnastics & OL assist work if work capacity permits
Thursday: Squats
Friday: Gymnastics AM, Clean-based PM
Saturday: Squats
Sunday: Off
Do these sound like reasonable and workable schedules to still make progress in gymnastics and weightlifting? I realize that you cannot serve two masters, and that I won't progress as fast in gymnastics if I am only doing it 2-3 days per week, but I am not willing to give up weightlifting and would like to get work gymnastics into a weightlifting program, not work weightlifting into a gymnastics program, if you understand the distinction.
I appreciate any guidance that you might be able to provide.
Thank you,
Matthew A. Levy