Hey all
I'm new here and also to gymnastics (apart from middle school sports, where I sucked at them). I found this place through the T-Nation Interview with Coach Sommer while searching for ways to enhance my training
I'm 22 years old and started with weight training roughly 1,5 years ago. At 6'2" and weighing 215lbs my personal records in the weight room are:
400lbs Squat
450lbs Deadlift
265lbs Bench Press
205lbs Power Clean
155lbs Military Press
I also started playing Football half a year ago (non-professional) and I really love it. We train 3 days a week, I also have 3 seasons per week in the weight room.
My goal is to become as good at the Middle Linebacker position as possible. And while my results in the weight room are fine, my speed and agility isn't. My 40yd time is 5,5, so pretty bad. However my Vertical and Broad Jump are as good as those of some of my teammates with a 4,8 time. So I can't just be "naturally slow".
I think my lack of speed comes from 2 areas. One is lack of flexibility. Literally every single of my lower body muscles lacks flexibility. The other problem is core strength (or rather the lack of it). My theory is that my lack of core strength causes a breakdown of running form, while the lack of flexibility slows me down (because every muscle has to produce extra force to stretch it's antagonist)
Which is were I think gymnastic training would fit quite well and help improve those aspects. I have a really huge work capacity so i think I could fit in 2-3 additional workouts a week.
I guess the general consensus would be to start with F1, right? Right now Football practice is Monday/Wednesday/Friday and Weight training Monday/Tuesday/Thursday, with Monday being the heaviest season, any help with programming the workouts around this schedule would be appreciated.
Also what parts of F1 should I focus on? What parts will give me the most bang for the buck (or rather time) with my specific needs in mind?
Thank you for any advice