This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 090505

Started by Coach Sommer, May 5, 2009 · 10 Replies · 1,255 Views

Coach Sommer

WOD%20-%20090505.jpg

Complete four rounds of:

1 - 15' Cirque

10 Front Lever Pulls

5 Tick Tocks

notes:

1) Rest 30 seconds between exercises.

2) You may rest 2-3 minutes between rounds.

3) If using an 8’ rope, complete 2 non-stop laps. Substitute 10 towel pull- ups if you have no access to a rope.

4) Tick Tocks are found on BtGB, pg. 150.

Joakim Anderson

Straddle L towel pullups - 4x10

Front lever pulls - 4x5

HSPU - 4x5

30 seconds rest between exercises, 2 minutes between the rounds. I don't know what tick tocks are yet so I did HSPU's instead, of which I had to split the last set.

Michael Dwan

What would be an appropriate substitution for the Tick Tocks? A couple Bridge Wall Walks, maybe? (Still waiting for my copy of BtGB to arrive) Or should I do a bridge and then Jump as much as I'm able(since I can't make it all the way over)

Blairbob

ticks tocks are another rings pull exercise, so bridge wall walks and HSPU aren't really the same. I doubt the bridge wall walks will be nearly as intense.

Joakim Anderson

I was afraid so, Blairbob. Things will be more clear to me when I've read the book and know the names of the exercises :)

Ryan Hutchins
jocke_a said:

I don't know what tick tocks are yet

you can youtube ticktocks. Basically its going from a back lever to front lever which is counted as one. You can use any progression you are on currently i.e. tucked lever, half lever etc. i'm doing this today since monday i was lazy

Alright... so i did 4 rounds. It was brutal. i almost couldn't do it... but i forced myself thru the pain.

the lever pulls were easy but since the rest of the workout was NOT... i gave myself a break on this exercise and just did a quick hold then powered back up.

The tick tocks were so demanding after Monday's WOD that my bicep was cramping and felt that it was about to tear or something. So after 2 full BL to FL ticktocks i backed off the accelerator and just did the knees bent straight back version of both.

All in all i was proud of myself for sticking in there and finishing. And i was completely exhausted and spent. I had to take 4 ibuprofens for the pain in my biceps. Since starting these WOD's a week or so ago i have permanent veins showing in my arm. They just won't go away. Thx Coach :P

Joakim Anderson

I found this:

Nobodystopsdblob

I am not sure that is what Coach Sommers meant by tick tocks.

Complete four rounds of:

1 - 15' Cirque 10 towel pull ups singles

10 Front Lever Pulls these were quite fast and the most I did at any time was 4. Stopped after 4 in the 3rd round

5 Tick Tocks first set unbroken, set set an ugly mixture of tucks and tucked negatives.

I only got through 2 full rounds and part of a 3rd. My forearm nearly gave out on the second round front lever pulls but had enough in the following round. My lat and tricep on the same side started killing me. I might do the next two days depending on what they are and then do nothing next week at all. I had a few half weeks over the last month and a half but I want to nip this forearm aching in the bud sooner rather than later. Working through it has not been the flavor.

Ryan Hutchins
jocke_a said:
I found this:

not quite what most gymnasts would call difficult. Maybe if you did it without your feet touching it would come close to a ring tick tock.

check that out from :34- :40

He goes from a german hang which is when he is all the way relaxed and pulls thru a back lever up to inverted hang. Then goes down to front lever. so from the back lever to the front lever would be considered 1 rep. Then you just pull back up to inverted hang and go back to back lever and so on.

Back lever= Body straight chest down

Front lever= Body straight chest up.

I hope that helps as i have nothing else. :shock:

Joakim Anderson

Helps alot! Thank you Ryan :)

Blairbob

the tick-tock on floor is a decent flexibility kickover/limber progression. it demonstrates control through the handstand phase instead of how some gymnast kick from handstand to bridge and then have to re adjust to kick back over. if you did it without your feet touching it would be an impressive feat of HS strength and balance and lower back strength and ability.