This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

So Have Your Pants Size Go Up Since Foundation?

Started by Nash, April 20, 2014 · 31 Replies · 1,087 Views

Nash

Yeah yeah, make fun, it's OK. I have no idea where else to ask this.

 

But seriously, all my size 30 pants don't fit anymore. I can only get into 31 and 32. My weight hasn't changed much (3lbs that usually fluctuate during the week).

 

Is it possible that muscle gains in abdomen and in lower back muscles could cause this or should I take a closer look at my diet?

 

Thin guys, your experience?

Keilani Gutierrez

when i went from 148(145-150 fluctuating) to 160(161-165 fluctuating) i noticed most of the mass came from my legs, hips and upper body.

pants still fit me fine :) some got baggier

edit: forgot to mention, on most of my pants what got tighter were my thighs.

William

some pants got a little tighter than before, but normally just notice it when making movements down like bring ass down to sit...my quads became a little bit bigger and my hams too, my calfes didnt :(

-MR

If the tightness mainly involves the waistline, I would look at your diet. There's been a tendency for members to tell newcomers to "eat more" if they want to gain muscle mass with Foundation, but my experience is that eating more just leads to fat gain when doing this program. Maybe that's just me though...

thecolin

My problem is finding pants that are tight enough at the waist and loose enough in my legs.

MT Nordic

I gained 10 pounds to go from 150-160, but pants fit the same.  weight seems to mostly be around shoulders and chest.  My suspicion is that it may be dietary, unless it's the thighs you're talking about.  I haven't gained much in the legs, as i already was pretty strong in that area.  so that may be why i haven't had a pants size change.  

Riku Calderón

I had this. But I keep my pants pretty low anyways :) So it´s the ass and lower back for me mostly.

dasede
-MR said:

If the tightness mainly involves the waistline, I would look at your diet. There's been a tendency for members to tell newcomers to "eat more" if they want to gain muscle mass with Foundation, but my experience is that eating more just leads to fat gain when doing this program. Maybe that's just me though...

Probably depends on how big you were before you started. I have gained a lot of muscle in my upper body and I'm still in PE2 or PE1 on everything except SLS. My weight has gone up 5kg and I don't think there's much if any fat. I had very little muscle when I started though.

EDM

Since I started foundation I've actually lost some fat and gained lean mass in the core and the back/lats....much better shape than when I as doing only weights...

Riku Calderón
dasede said:

Probably depends on how big you were before you started. I have gained a lot of muscle in my upper body and I'm still in PE2 or PE1 on everything except SLS. My weight has gone up 5kg and I don't think there's much if any fat. I had very little muscle when I started though.

+1

Micawberian

Man all these people gaining weight, I'm nearing the end of F2 and I haven't lost or gained fat, muscle, anything... :( I guess having some party tricks up my sleeve makes up for it though!

jjrohal

happened to me too. slightly bigger lower abs, lower back, and glutes thanks to foundation.

emilianop

Pants size went down since I started Foundation.

I have to say that for different reasons I had to stop any other training, so there's a chance what I was doing before was giving me bigger legs.

 

That said, to be honest, I don't understand all this fuzz about gaining mass.

If you're able to perform feats you couldn't do before, who cares about the mass?

Even more so, if I could output double the strength and LOSE weight at the same time I'd be happier.

I consider being leaner and lighter while keeping the same performance levels a total plus.

MattProulx

I've lost weight and gained it back actually, but am much bigger in the shoulders/traps, and slimmer in the waist. Leg wise.. I was doing SLS, front quats and kb snatches prior to F1&2 have not gained anything here in a year, most of my gains are in coordination and balance TBH.

Jon Douglas

I am still wearing the same jeans; a touch tighter around the thighs, but all new shirts due to traps,biceps and forearms. T shirts sit much better due to wider shoulders (dislocates...) and smaller waist. The rest is stable-ish size and weight with slow but definite leaning week to week. I don't eat right to prioritise muscle gain tho; not my primary goal

LateStarter@46

Nothing beats a good helping of fish n chips!  :D

Jon Douglas
LateStarter@46 said:

Nothing beats a good helping of fish n chips! :D

Pre workout secret ;)
Mark Collins

My hamstrings are waking up from F2.

Nash

OK, so I got 6 nays and 3 yays. I'm looking at my diet.

 

I'm going to remove all fruit consumption after dinner (5:30pm). I usually eat oranges and nuts around 7pm and before going to bed I eat some dried fruit (usually dates) and nuts.

 

Thanks for the input guys.

 

 

-Nash

-MR

Nash, if you still have doubts about which way to go, you could always post before/after pics or videos, or a current pic. I think it'll be pretty easy for us to tell if your pants are tight because of extra fat vs extra muscle :)

 

Another thing you can do is post a representative log of your 24h food/drink intake along with your physical activity during that period. That will allow people to give you some more useful advice rather than trying to guess at your problem. 

 

Finally, you should take a look at wheezer's post regarding his weight loss strategy: https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/14025-awesome-body-comp-change/

 

Using a program to track your 24hr caloric intake for a week or so can cause improvements simply by pointing out sources of extra calories you weren't aware of. Wheezer used the one at https://cronometer.com/ which is good. Another popular one can be found at http://www.fitday.com/. I'm sure there are also some iphone aps which may be more convenient to use. 

EDM

Yep, that would be a good idea! You need to look at the full picture...

 

Besides that:

 

 I usually eat oranges and nuts around 7pm and before going to bed I eat some dried fruit (usually dates) and nuts.

Fruit and nuts at 7pm can be ok as a snack, but dried fruit before going to bed doesn't look right to me. Dried fruit is rich in sugars and can have a quite a high glycemic index - if you eat this before going to sleep you would not use all that energy. If you like dried dates try having them as pre/post WO carbs source (this is how i do!).

Richard Hamilton

I'm with you on the dates EDM, they make a great peri/post workout snack. Love em! :)

Nash
EDM said:
EDM said:

Fruit and nuts at 7pm can be ok as a snack, but dried fruit before going to bed doesn't look right to me. Dried fruit is rich in sugars and can have a quite a high glycemic index - if you eat this before going to sleep you would not use all that energy. If you like dried dates try having them as pre/post WO carbs source (this is how i do!).

:) I eat 5 dates (medjool) with breakfast every morning. I can't live without them.

 

When I eat dried fruit, I eat the exact amount as I would if it weren't dried. For example, I usually get satisfied on about 15 grapes, so my raisin snack is 15 raisins. From my understanding of how sugar is measured, I think that's the same amount, right?

 

Yeah, will post pictures and diet soon. The only thing is figuring out what my meals  are made of. I order them from a local paleo restaurant and she makes sauces in-house. One for lunch and one for dinner.

David Creekmore

I will channel Josh Naterman

 

Nash said:

:) I eat 5 dates (medjool) with breakfast every morning. I can't live without them.

 

When I eat dried fruit, I eat the exact amount as I would if it weren't dried. For example, I usually get satisfied on about 15 grapes, so my raisin snack is 15 raisins. From my understanding of how sugar is measured, I think that's the same amount, right?

 

Yeah, will post pictures and diet soon. The only thing is figuring out what my meals  are made of. I order them from a local paleo restaurant and she makes sauces in-house. One for lunch and one for dinner.

 

I will channel Josh Naterman here and say this could very likely be the cause - although 15 raisins isn't a lot.

 His statements on fructose are that it tends to get directly deposited as abdominal body fat, unless when we wake up and right after exercise when liver glycogen is low and needs to be replaced.   Are you getting fructose in other forms?

Ronin168

does your dried fruit have added sugar on it?