Questions about starter pack

Started by Chris F., April 14, 2014 · 7 Replies · 2,069 Views

Chris F.

Hi All,

First time post. I've been really intrigued by this site and have a few questions about beginning. I see the starter pack looks like the way to go. I am 45 but in pretty good shape from years of yoga and a fair amount of kettlebell work. I've always wanted to learn how to do a legit straight handstand and back and front levers. I have access to a pullup bar but not rings or any other equipment at this time. Would I still be able to benefit from the beginning work? I'm interested in the very basics and am patient. Just a little worried that the "ship may have sailed" for someone my age.

Also, I am a bit confused by "live web" access. I'm assuming that there will be no real time coaching, just that you need a feed. I use an iPad. Is this correct?

Thank you for any help.

Bipocni
Chris F. said:

Also, I am a bit confused by "live web" access. I'm assuming that there will be no real time coaching, just that you need a feed. I use an iPad. Is this correct?

Yep.  That will work just fine.

 

Rings are pretty important, but you can substitute with a couple towels at first.  Try to get them later on though.

 

You'll also need a dowel rod you can throw a couple weight plates on, and a very light dumbbell.

Jennifer
I'm interested in the very basics and am patient. Just a little worried that the "ship may have sailed" for someone my age.

 

I don't think anyone can say what any particular individual's end results will be, but there are many older beginners here.     Welcome!

Keilani Gutierrez

there's a Forum member who is in his 70's (or just 70? im not so sure) who is doing cross training. it definitely isn't "too late". :)

 

just be mindful of your recovery, nutrition and exercise intensity. which just so happens is what all of us need to be mindful of :P 

 

welcome to GB, btw :)

lnick1975
Chris F. said:

Just a little worried that the "ship may have sailed" for someone my age.

U can either grow old and out of shape. Or start now, grow old, and get into shape.

Mats Trane

I'm 50 and have been following this site and training for a couple of years and still love it.

You will get the basics and will have many years in front of you with one of the best and well thought out training programs there is.

Patience is a great plus to have and will benefit you in the long run.

Keilani Gutierrez
Mats Trane said:

I'm 50 and have been following this site and training for a couple of years and still love it.

You will get the basics and will have many years in front of you with one of the best and well thought out training programs there is.

Patience is a great plus to have and will benefit you in the long run.

to add: I've seen the photos of you skating bowls and i've never seen you skate, but to be able to be at your age(and level :P i've seen the 5-0's) and do an impact sport where falling anywhere from 1 to 5-10 times means(at least to me)"calling it a day" and in one situation, calling it a "few months".  is enough to really appreciate the joint prep and body shapes needed to really do well in certain tricks(or walking to the kitchen and stubbing your toe on something or slipping in the shower and squatting down with control instead of falling <-- this happened to me recently. was a bit breathless when i hit the wall, but im glad i hit with my entire back instead of the back of my head)

 

i don't know how you do manual to 180's on a board, but I find doing them on my bike very similar to doing SLS-pe1 iM...and actually having some endurance in FL PE's helped me lock manuals in a way i've never done before(the hollow shape really helped me find the "pop" out of the end of a manual to do tricks out of them) so a lot of movements in the course(if you take the time to develop them) will help you become stronger in some pretty cool places which carry over to a lot of movements you do daily. 

 

so please, OP, take Mats testimony as a good point of reference, if he can keep skating at his age(and it's a pretty abusive sport) go with certainty that you will be able to take some pretty heavy bails and just have to walk it out, instead of being wheeled out. 

 

btw, Mats. whenever i travel to Sweden, please let me know where that indoor park is at :D

Chris F.

Thanks for the awesome replies folks! And thank you for the encouragement!