This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

First F1 form check - every opinion counts as gold :)

Started by MichaÅ‚, April 11, 2014 · 23 Replies · 597 Views

Michał

Hi Mates!

 

I train for a month now and the time came to evaluate my efforts with you:) Please help me be better and better in what we all try to achive - beeing best in what we do love the most (except for our women!) ;)

 

Cheers!

 

Michael

 

FL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsWogiWBiic

SPL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vIhClYKxvo

HBP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpcKUJYbD6k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_bdlkstO4g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vjXHBRjvzo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPA3exN1qiI

RC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQZK9DZEVko
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aum28vqTQmU

 

sl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9k5Ke0h2mU

mn
s1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGK357AXYeg
s2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DROM98-lpnw
s3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqWgGSXmnCA

im https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UI-Rnt_ze8

sls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF5NmObu0vA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hdr8IYAqqGc

Adriano Augusto

Welcome aboard!

 

Here we go.

 

FL: knees together, toe point. Don't relax your fingers, keep them alive.

 

sPL: seems like you lean forward, keep the movement up and down. Nice. iM: Good, you've to work more to increase the ROM.

 

HBP/PE2: Chest all the way to the floor. Check out your piking at the hips, keep them tucked. iM: Keep your torso straight in the descent portion of the movement. More smoothly movement. Try always to trace a motion circle. Straight the opposite arm.

 

I'm busy now so later on more :D

KibboKift

Welcome Michael

 

To continue from where Adriano left off:

 

RC: Don't bring your head forward at the top of each rep. This can give the illusion of better range of motion, but will do nothing for your strength. Strive to keep your neck in line with the rest of your spine. You seem to be pretty strong on this PE, so I don't think you'll have that much trouble.

 

SL: To nitpick, I don't think your knees are locked out. Some hip flexor stretching would almost definitely help you. Your arms are probably a little low, but I couldn't call it. Check the ABH sticky for tons more advice. Overall though, a great attempt as a first form check.

 

Mn: I think you need more compression on your tuck ups. If you're really squeezing the hip flexors at the top of each rep, this will come in time. Most likely you will feel it the next day! On the iM, you should be looking up at weight above your head at all times. This will help you make sure the working arm stays vertical, which is important.

 

SLS: Deck squats very good. With the skiers, both ankles and toes should be together. As you descend, one knee should move slightly forward in relation to the other (although they remain in contact), allowing the hips to turn. The rest of the body turns with the hips. You'll find this easier to achieve by not squatting as low to begin with, then going deeper as your form improves.

JN12

Welcome!

 

sPL: It's hard to see but I think you pike at the hips at the top of the motion. Try to keep your body straight and move only from the shoulders. Im needs a bit more ROM but waaay better than when I started  :)

dynamo

On the mn, I think your feet should start together and toes should be pointed at the top.

Oompa2

FL: Feet together and point the toes. Enjoy the hold and feel the tension! :D

 

sPL: Shrugs look good. Keep working at the iM (I have been on these for much longer than necessary because of the iM. Keep at it, even if it seems like you are getting nowhere trust us that you are. I had a 'lightbulb' moment the other day when I realised how much I had improved at swivel hips just from doing them for months and it felt brilliant).

 

SL: Needs more work, but you are getting there. Feet probably need to be higher - I suggest you read the ABH sticky (HERE) as it is great for understanding the muscle activation for this exercise, as well as the relevant ques to understand how to do it better.

 

Mn: greater compression in PE1 - get your chest to your knees on each rep, and keep you feet together.

 

HBP: looked fine to me... I didn't think you were piking too bad, but chest must touch the ground. iM I agree with all of Adriano's points.

 

RC: Bad camera angle - maybe re-film? Otherwise try not to use your head, keep a neutral neck throughout every rep.

 

SLS: Deck Squats look good. Agree with KibboKift on the iM - maybe just more time doing them for neuro-muscular adaptation?

 

Oh and welcome to the forums. This is without a doubt one of the best fitness communities out there - looking forward to seeing what you produce!

Michał
Adriano Augusto said:

Welcome aboard!

 

Here we go.

 

FL: knees together, toe point. Don't relax your fingers, keep them alive.

 

sPL: seems like you lean forward, keep the movement up and down. Nice. iM: Good, you've to work more to increase the ROM.

 

HBP/PE2: Chest all the way to the floor. Check out your piking at the hips, keep them tucked. iM: Keep your torso straight in the descent portion of the movement. More smoothly movement. Try always to trace a motion circle. Straight the opposite arm.

 

I'm busy now so later on more :D

Thanks Mate!

 

With FL - should i only tense ABS or should i try shortening them as much as i can?

 

sPLim - should i keep both glutes sticked to the ground?

Michał

Thanks for your help Mate,

 

I've trained how you adviced and i have some addicional questions:

 

With MN - should I do some additional hip flexor strengtening excercise? do you know something that could help here? I am going to do some isometrics holds on max shorted muscle.

 

I can't find ABH sticky... :D embarrassing i know :)

 

 

KibboKift said:

Welcome Michael

 

To continue from where Adriano left off:

 

RC: Don't bring your head forward at the top of each rep. This can give the illusion of better range of motion, but will do nothing for your strength. Strive to keep your neck in line with the rest of your spine. You seem to be pretty strong on this PE, so I don't think you'll have that much trouble.

 

SL: To nitpick, I don't think your knees are locked out. Some hip flexor stretching would almost definitely help you. Your arms are probably a little low, but I couldn't call it. Check the ABH sticky for tons more advice. Overall though, a great attempt as a first form check.

 

Mn: I think you need more compression on your tuck ups. If you're really squeezing the hip flexors at the top of each rep, this will come in time. Most likely you will feel it the next day! On the iM, you should be looking up at weight above your head at all times. This will help you make sure the working arm stays vertical, which is important.

 

SLS: Deck squats very good. With the skiers, both ankles and toes should be together. As you descend, one knee should move slightly forward in relation to the other (although they remain in contact), allowing the hips to turn. The rest of the body turns with the hips. You'll find this easier to achieve by not squatting as low to begin with, then going deeper as your form improves.

Michał
JN12 said:

Welcome!

 

sPL: It's hard to see but I think you pike at the hips at the top of the motion. Try to keep your body straight and move only from the shoulders. Im needs a bit more ROM but waaay better than when I started  :)

 

Hey Mate

 

Where do you see a lack of ROM? up or down of the motion?

Michał

Thanks for the welcoming :) I must say i feel here like home :D

 

I have some addicional question to your answears:

 

FL - not a question - yeah Mate! Feeling the tension alright :D

 

MN - biggest problem of all, i have problem with activating hip flexors - any ideas for addicional work with them?

 

RC - i will re-make all of the films next week :)

 

Cheers :)

 

Oompa2 said:

FL: Feet together and point the toes. Enjoy the hold and feel the tension! :D

 

sPL: Shrugs look good. Keep working at the iM (I have been on these for much longer than necessary because of the iM. Keep at it, even if it seems like you are getting nowhere trust us that you are. I had a 'lightbulb' moment the other day when I realised how much I had improved at swivel hips just from doing them for months and it felt brilliant).

 

SL: Needs more work, but you are getting there. Feet probably need to be higher - I suggest you read the ABH sticky (HERE) as it is great for understanding the muscle activation for this exercise, as well as the relevant ques to understand how to do it better.

 

Mn: greater compression in PE1 - get your chest to your knees on each rep, and keep you feet together.

 

HBP: looked fine to me... I didn't think you were piking too bad, but chest must touch the ground. iM I agree with all of Adriano's points.

 

RC: Bad camera angle - maybe re-film? Otherwise try not to use your head, keep a neutral neck throughout every rep.

 

SLS: Deck Squats look good. Agree with KibboKift on the iM - maybe just more time doing them for neuro-muscular adaptation?

 

Oh and welcome to the forums. This is without a doubt one of the best fitness communities out there - looking forward to seeing what you produce!

Oompa2
Michał said:

Thanks for the welcoming :) I must say i feel here like home :D

 

I have some addicional question to your answears:

 

FL - not a question - yeah Mate! Feeling the tension alright :D

 

MN - biggest problem of all, i have problem with activating hip flexors - any ideas for addicional work with them?

 

RC - i will re-make all of the films next week :)

 

Cheers :)

Well, we just kept working at them and the compression came with time. If you focus on the top of each repetition and squeeze as hard as you can then you will probably see some good progress (remembering that Rome wasn't built in a day). You could try a pause at the top, then try to squeeze closer, then finish the repetition - otherwise I would just say keep doing them. Seriously, Mn is one of our favorite progressions... don't know why, but it just is fun.

KibboKift

What Oompa says, but if you are really having trouble activating the hip flexors, the following may help:

- Lie on your back on the floor with your knees bent.

- Grab hold of one knee and pull it towards your chest as close as you can

- Keep the lower back in contact with the floor at all times. Don't allow the hips to rise.

- Now let go of your knee, but make as much effort as you can to stop it from moving using your hip flexors. Most likely you won't be able to stop your hips from extending, but you should at least feel a strong activation in the hip flexors.

- Doing these 'negatives' would be one way to improve your hip flexor strength in this new ROM. If you can replicate this activation during the PE, then simply doing that should be enough. My favourite cue is to think of pulling the front, very top portion of my thighs into my belly. Once you feel this portion of your thighs really complaining on each rep you know you're doing it right.

Michał
KibboKift said:

What Oompa says, but if you are really having trouble activating the hip flexors, the following may help:

- Lie on your back on the floor with your knees bent.

- Grab hold of one knee and pull it towards your chest as close as you can

- Keep the lower back in contact with the floor at all times. Don't allow the hips to rise.

- Now let go of your knee, but make as much effort as you can to stop it from moving using your hip flexors. Most likely you won't be able to stop your hips from extending, but you should at least feel a strong activation in the hip flexors.

- Doing these 'negatives' would be one way to improve your hip flexor strength in this new ROM. If you can replicate this activation during the PE, then simply doing that should be enough. My favourite cue is to think of pulling the front, very top portion of my thighs into my belly. Once you feel this portion of your thighs really complaining on each rep you know you're doing it right.

 

I am doing just that, and it's working :) It's not as simple as it looks, but when you get it it helps almost iimmediately in MN.

Michał
Oompa2 said:

Well, what we just kept working at them and the compression came with time. If you focus on the top of each repetition and squeeze as hard as you can then you will probably see some good progress (remembering that Rome wasn't built in a day). You could try a pause at the top, then try to squeeze closer, then finish the repetition - otherwise I would just say keep doing them. Seriously, Mn is one of our favorite progressions... don't know why, but it just is fun.

At first i thought to myselph that this is going to be the easiest of all progressions- you know- simple sit ups just a little bit upgraded :D It's fun to find out that some things in the world can and will surprise you :)

Michał

Hi Mates!!

 

I've done what i could to transfer every one on the advice that you have given me. I know it's not yet perfect, but try to look at this videos as a step forward- but still in progress, and tell me if something gone wrong :)

 

Cheers

 

Michael

 

 

FL/PE1 part1
http://youtu.be/0K8OMI2aDks

FL/PE1 part2

http://youtu.be/KK27zf8N5t0

sPL/PE1 part1
http://youtu.be/c3AW5DwsB7U

sPL/PE1 part2

http://youtu.be/wSlZvjdVkL8

sPL/PE1 im

http://youtu.be/SzXeB5L_qdY

HBP/PE2 part1

http://youtu.be/YdatVOlVJbY

HBP/PE2 part2
http://youtu.be/rgIxKsZQGIQ

HBP/PE2 im part1

http://youtu.be/IFvtK_3ACxI

HBP/PE2 im part2

http://youtu.be/_0QEoQPX_zw

RC/PE1

http://youtu.be/9aFcA4TGz-I

SL/PE1 part

http://youtu.be/T3CIaAGmdJA

SL/PE1 part2

http://youtu.be/QEnCiTzKFQo

SL/PE1 part3

http://youtu.be/Et70jI565sc
 

MN/PE1 part1

http://youtu.be/CUVBgu0M9rE

 

MN/PE1 part2
 

MN/PE1 part3

MN/PE1 part4

SLS/PE1 im part1

http://youtu.be/f338Y6MM5I0

SLS/PE1 im part2

http://youtu.be/gfsfQoM9Fcc



 

KibboKift

In general I think you've made many good adjustments to your form compared with your first form check. In particular, I'll point out the following:

- I'm sure you can see you're quite a long way off with your swivel hips. This will require some patience to master, but there are several other threads around with good advice if you search for them.

- Use the time it's going to take you to master swivel hips to really perfect those scapular shrugs. You should aim for a hollow body (ie flat lower back, extended hips), at least at the top of the movement. There will always be some arching as you reach the bottom position, but thinking of locking your body straight and only moving the scapular will help you get the most benefit. If you have more time to kill, once you have achieved mastery reps, you can eventually work on reducing the tempo to further increase the intensity. This really helped me with the next two PE's.

- Looking at your SL video, I can definitely see that your hip flexors are very tight. Addressing this should be a priority, since there is little point in building up hold times with poor form.

- I can see that you are really squeezing now at the top of your tuck-ups. This is good, and will become smoother over time.

- I still think there is room for improvement with your skiers. Although the focus point says that the knees should be stationary, this may be a bit misleading. If you check the course video, you'll see that one of the knees moves forward in relation to the other, although the insides of the knees do remain in contact with each other. You wouldn't be able to turn your hips otherwise. Big toes should also be touching. The fact that you are bending so far forward may be a sign of insufficient calf flexibility, which is extremely common.

 

I hope this helps you Michael!

Oompa2

Agree with KibboKift

 

Additional points -

 

MN - Keep your feet and knees together and point the toes. Whilst I don't believe this is essential, it should be a nice cue to your body so each rep remains as strict a form as possible (which I don't think could ever be a bad thing). Looking at the four videos, you certainly have the right idea. Don't over think this - just keep doing them and the compression will continue to improve. Good work. Rome was not built in a day.

 

sPL - Shrugs look good. Now build the endurance up until you get 5 x 15 with only the iM as rest - that way when you finally work through the Swivel Hips you will be good to go. I have been doing these for nearly 6 months now because of the iM... to the point where the perfection of the Scap Shrugs has become a source of pride (haha)

 

SL - Keep your feet together and point the toes. Focus on pushing your feet as far away from your body as possible, then contract your glutes to raise your feet further and further from the floor. I mastered this (after 8 months) a week ago and the cue I used was the front of my Quads were not allowed to touch the ground whilst keeping the legs extended and toes pointed. Also, the curve in your back should not come from the lumbar spine but the upper part - if you look at your position you can see a distinct V from your shoulders down to your lower back, then up again at your buttocks. Stomach should be flat on the ground, and curl the upper back. The cue I used for this was the lower part of my rib-cage remained on the ground whilst my chest arched up. Read the stickied post on this exercise for an excellent summary of what will help you. Trust me it feels great when you finally master it... then you realise you have a whole new experience with ABRs... learn to love them, and you will - particularly when you notice your back muscles developing :D

 

HPB - Push ups are fine, but get your chest to graze the ground! :D (or if it is a better cue, get the front of your shoulders to the ground). I think that the video tutorial on basic push-ups at GymnasticsWOD is really good for explaining this.

 

RC - Looks much better. If you can do 5 x 15 of these with the iM, I think it is time to move on. Well done.

 

Keep at it mate. Life's best endeavors are never a sprint and you are on the right track.

 

Callum

federicoC

Keep up the good work! On the SLS/Im, I'd recommend you to carefully watch the sample video before every WO. You still need to swivel your hips there. You can start by reducing the ROM a bit, while focusing on this key point.

Michał

Hi Mate!

KibboKift said:

In general I think you've made many good adjustments to your form compared with your first form check. In particular, I'll point out the following:

- I'm sure you can see you're quite a long way off with your swivel hips. This will require some patience to master, but there are several other threads around with good advice if you search for them.

 

--- Are you talking here about skiers?

 

 

- Looking at your SL video, I can definitely see that your hip flexors are very tight. Addressing this should be a priority, since there is little point in building up hold times with poor form.

 

---Thanks mate! i working on it, i have lordosis and it's very hard for me working with hip flexors. Do you recomend some streching other then something like this

?

 

- I still think there is room for improvement with your skiers. Although the focus point says that the knees should be stationary, this may be a bit misleading. If you check the course video, you'll see that one of the knees moves forward in relation to the other, although the insides of the knees do remain in contact with each other. You wouldn't be able to turn your hips otherwise. Big toes should also be touching. The fact that you are bending so far forward may be a sign of insufficient calf flexibility, which is extremely common.

 

---should at any time my knees go in front of the line of fingertips?

 

I hope this helps you Michael!

 

---it helps very much, thanks!

Michał
Oompa2 said:

 

Thanks Mate! :)

 

sPL - Shrugs look good. Now build the endurance up until you get 5 x 15 with only the iM as rest - that way when you finally work through the Swivel Hips you will be good to go. I have been doing these for nearly 6 months now because of the iM... to the point where the perfection of the Scap Shrugs has become a source of pride (haha)

 

--- :D

 

HPB - Push ups are fine, but get your chest to graze the ground! :D (or if it is a better cue, get the front of your shoulders to the ground). I think that the video tutorial on basic push-ups at GymnasticsWOD is really good for explaining this.

 

---I will! Do you have any advice how to pull my left arm closer to the body? I've tried everything and nothing helps. Maby it's ok?

 

KibboKift
Michał said:

--- Are you talking here about skiers?

No, with that comment I was talking about the swivel hips exercise (SPl PE1 iM)

 

Michał said:

---Thanks mate! i working on it, i have lordosis and it's very hard for me working with hip flexors. Do you recomend some streching other then something like this ?

The approach in the video looks sensible, particularly the focus on keeping the pelvis level. I am also a big fan of Kit Laughlin's work on stretching in general (also on YouTube). In combination with stretching, I would recommend some release work with a foam roller or something harder. One half hour session with a tennis ball and I was immediately able to lie down with my lower back and legs all in contact with the floor.

 

 

Michał said:

---should at any time my knees go in front of the line of fingertips?

I  think that, having your arms outstretched in front of yourself, your fingertips are always going to end up in front of the knees. But I wouldn't focus on that. Your leading knee is going to be as far forward as your ankle flexibility allows and you will naturally lean forward as much as you have to stay balanced. I suggest just trying to emulate the form in the course video as closely as possible. In my previous comment I was trying to higlight some features of this which you perhaps hadn't noticed (or didn't seem to have noticed based on your last form check).

Michał
KibboKift said:

 

 

The approach in the video looks sensible, particularly the focus on keeping the pelvis level. I am also a big fan of Kit Laughlin's work on stretching in general (also on YouTube). In combination with stretching, I would recommend some release work with a foam roller or something harder. One half hour session with a tennis ball and I was immediately able to lie down with my lower back and legs all in contact with the floor.

 

 

---This thing with a tennis ball is some speciat training? Do you maby have a link to this? I would rely like to try that :)

 

Thanks!