This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Anyone else getting sore hamstring tendons from the SLS SE>iM's?

Started by Ravn, April 11, 2014 · 38 Replies · 1,374 Views

Nino Begovic

Thank for input guys.
I do not have interest in moving on through the SE's until iM is synced. It was a stupid question perhaps. But still it is interesting to know what others are experiencing as well =)

Patella tendinopathy sounds like it is on the front side of the knee? Does that have to do with the iM or the SE?

Mark Collins

It's the tendon over the knee cap. So any squatting below 80-90 degrees knee flexion is a problem. So I have had to progress slow as the tendon has coped with the extra load.

Coach Sommer
Bro said:

... I don't know what Coach's stance on this is, but I find that some of the SLS SE>iMs are definitely strength elements ...

That depends on how strong you are.  My own athletes use all of the SLS iMs as a part of their daily warmup.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Jon Douglas

As do I, now that I have adjusted, and I am certainly not a patch on the strength of those guys :)

Bro'
Coach Sommer said:

That depends on how strong you are.  My own athletes use all of the SLS iMs as a part of their daily warmup.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

 

Yes, I'm sure in time it will be so, but I wanted to say that these are at least 'strength elements' on par with their corresponding SEs which is not the case of most iMs in the curriculum (though some are indeed very hard (sPL/SE1-5>iM) and some are just hard but still not 'strength' exercises).

Mark Collins

Not sure if you guys are doing passive stretches or not. On the seminar it was recommended for those that have hamstring tendinopathy to stretch the hamstrings with load rather than passively. Once you have no symptoms it is probably ok to start passive stretches but be careful not to overdo it. Jefferson curls, weighted pike stretches, pike leans and the mobility in H2 are perfect as they are active stretches with load.

Destiny

Holy crap tried SE2>IM today and it's miles harder than SE1's. The first rep was a real surprise. Felt like I could easily get sore, cramped or maybe even injure my hamstring if I'm not careful. 

 

edit: OK so I reexamined the video and found my straight leg wasn't going up as my other pulled in. A bit easier now and doesn't really feel like I'm going to pull anything anymore, it's just hard. 

 

loving both the IM and PE so far though. Both pretty unique exercises for someone from a typical gym background. Hits my muscles in new ways. 

Mark Collins

Now I really understand why your hamstring tendons nearly blew up. I did iM SE4 and it is a real awaking of my hamstrings. I could only do 2, 2 and 1 rep. It looked so easy in the video! My single leg deck squat was easy in comparison.

Jon Douglas

I love em as regular 10r warmup :D but the adjustment phase was not fun!

Ravn

Yeah, it's pretty damn tough. I have gone back 3-4 im's to clean up the form and build some serious volume before proceeding again. Good news is that my hamstring tendons feel solid again.

dritar

I always get massive cramps on the calves when starting on first weeks of a new SLS SE/iM. When these cramps stop being an issue it does feel awesome on the hamstrings and back.

MarcinTrybalski

I really love these im elements for the hamstrings!  :D But i have also some issues with recovery... Maybe i`m just overdoing it with hamstring exercices and stretches. Right now i`m at SE4... last time i did 5x3 SE4/im  + 30kg windmills (2 sets) + 30kg jefferson curls (3sets) + specific stretches for front split and the sorness is still lasting eventhough i`ve already rested for 4 days :facepalm: I assume that a hard stretching session isn`t the best idea after a strength workout but i don`t know where i could implement it instead... what do you think guys ?  ;)

Bro'

Funny you should bump this thread, as I wanted to report back on this iM! I went the route of a full cycle using the 5 rep mastery scheme for the iM, rather than doing 5 reps between each SE set, and I must say I never had sore tendons from this exercise again, so that definitely can work. Mastered it this morning, felt pretty easy. Deload and then GHR (not going to be fun  :D).

 

As for your question, I'd say as long as you feel the soreness in your muscles and not your tendons, you don't risk much. Not sure if that's optimal though.

HumanBIOS

This thread is high-lighting just exactly how important structural integrity is BEFORE starting the Foundation series. Like many have stated, From having muscular imbalances and dysfunctional movement patterns prior.....I am well aware of the benefits!! having optimal hamstring length before performing GHR or Nordic curl type variations (even single leg) and even having some previous conditioning is vital for preventing hamstring tendonitis (i would have said tendonopathy but research has indicated there is no such thing). I have even had clients struggle with the supine bridge hamstring curl (none power athletes struggled also). Conversely, I have worked with UK premiership rugby team Exeter Chiefs and many of them are extremely capable of performing a strict nordic curl (natural GHR)..and by that i mean performing the negative AND then coming back up to start! These players did not perform the preceeding variations as set out in F1-2. 


Many people on this forum are ONLY using the gymnasticbodies program as their mode of training. Like coach said in one of his podcasts (particularly around the age of 40-50 years old), collagen breaks down considerably, plus about 90% of people who are using this mode of training don't do any other conditioning for their posterior chain which is paramount to preventing injury.

 

In regards to the hamstring tendonitis at the knee end. There is another joint that has the potential for heavy tendonitis which follows the same characteristics!......yes...the ELBOW!!!...how do we prevent tendonitis and injury to the elbow?....straight arm work over intelligent programming.

 

I have been utilising the same principle for hamstring tendonitis and fibre tears and have seen great results! This can be done by adding static straight leg bridges.

I want to be clear!......I completely agree with what Mark Collins has advised as it follows the tendonitis protocols physio's and other MSK therapists are taught....and it works. All i'm suggesting it to understand the anatomy and similarity of the structures and apply the principles

cheers

 

Andrew